    Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.

    Cheers
    , Jun 3, 2005

  2. Splibbilla Guest

    in news:04Rne.1550901$Xk.1121841@pd7tw3no:

    > Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently
    > downloaded
    >"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
    > whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
    > Avenue A.
    > Bfast
    > Click Agents
    > Double Click
    > Fast Click
    > Hitbox
    > Media Plex
    > Web Trends Live
    >

    > Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these
    > permanently?? They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does
    > look as if maybe their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.

    most immediate is to set cookies to "ask" in your FF options.

    lots of people like adblock extension, and people "collect" additional entries to block.

    but
    1a www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts2.htm
    (btw, spybot install offers to add a few lines to your HOSTS)
    1b can use marron's hostess "free ad-blocking hosts file maintenance utility."
    accs-net.com/hostess/
    to manage/update HOSTS entries. you might be able to setup an download manager to drop the updated HOSTS.zip to
    your chosen Dump folder. Hostess's "Import" command retains that location. pretty simple once you work out your setup.

    2 proxomitron (proxo "freaks" create and collect more rules, but i don't understand proxo that well, beyond adding a
    few domains to the blocklist. proxo works well in standard setup.)

    both HOSTS and proxomitron work for all browsers, and block a lot of junk (more than just cookies? I'm actually not sure
    exactly which layer of defenses are blocking what.)
    Splibbilla, Jun 3, 2005

  3. default Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:33:00 GMT, wrote:

    >Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
    >"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
    >whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
    >Avenue A.
    >Bfast
    >Click Agents
    >Double Click
    >Fast Click
    >Hitbox
    >Media Plex
    >Web Trends Live
    >

    >Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
    >They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
    >their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
    >
    >Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.
    >
    >Cheers

    Those are tracking cookies.

    Go to tools, options, privacy and look at the stored cookies (after
    visiting sites that set those cookies) Check the box that says "Don't
    allow sites that set removed cookies to set future cookies." Then
    remove the offending cookies.

    And/Or look at the "exceptions" menu and put those sites in there to
    never accept cookies.

    Checking the box: set cookies "for originating web site only." May
    eliminate some tracking cookies.

    And "keep cookies until I close firefox" works wonders . . . the only
    downside is that some websites do use cookies to personalize surfing
    (the purpose for which cookies were intended) and those would go away
    each time FF closed (but still lets you use the sites with cookies
    enabled - so you can surf and shop) That problem could be handled by
    making an "allow" exception to those sites.

    Check out your flash player settings also. They set cookies that FF
    and spybot won't touch. See:
    http://www.internetweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160400749

    While your monkeying about with flash - you might check to see if they
    can access any camera or microphone plugged into your computer (no
    kidding - that is an option, but I forget if the default is on or off)

    My wife uses the flash player, plug in, and FF has a Flash blocker
    extension that will only allow flash to play on demand. I forget all
    the details. I eliminated flash from my system - plenty of other
    players can handle the downloaded flash files - and I don't see the
    need to be bombarded with a lot of glitzy advertising when I visit a
    website. Half the time I surf with images disabled to avoid the hype.

    default, Jun 3, 2005
  4. default Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:33:00 GMT, wrote:

    >Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
    >"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
    >whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
    >Avenue A.
    >Bfast
    >Click Agents
    >Double Click
    >Fast Click
    >Hitbox
    >Media Plex
    >Web Trends Live
    >

    >Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
    >They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
    >their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
    >
    >Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.
    >
    >Cheers

    Something else if you want to get geeky about spyware . . .

    alt.privacy.spyware newsgroup has an FAQ posted with links to more
    than you ever wanted to know about it.

    Message ID:
    MrRne.279214$

    Title : The FAQ for <alt.privacy.spyware>
    Author: shplink
    Date: 6/3/05

    default, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Lou Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:33:00 GMT, wrote:

    >Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
    >"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
    >whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
    >Avenue A.
    >Bfast
    >Click Agents
    >Double Click
    >Fast Click
    >Hitbox
    >Media Plex
    >Web Trends Live
    >

    >Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
    >They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
    >their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
    >
    >Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.
    >
    >Cheers

    Running an efficient "Hosts" file should take care of your problems.
    I have run a "Hosts" for years now and have little to no problems.

    I recommend you read up the following pages:

    What is the Hosts file?
    http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

    Mike's Ad Blocking Hosts file
    http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    Lou, Jun 3, 2005
  6. ggull Guest

    Cookie retention [was Re: Firefox and spyware???]

    Thanks for these hints, default. I've been looking for a way to keep
    cookies I want (log in to xxx website stuff, especially now that so many
    newspapers demand it), yet get rid of the day-to-day trash that accumulates
    if you allow them at all.

    Following your second hint, does an "allow" exception meant that that site's
    cookies will be retained when I close firefox, and cookies from un-excepted
    sites will get trashed? I guess I'll try it, but just don't get to those
    sites every day.

    "default" <> wrote >

    ggull, Jun 4, 2005
  7. Gordon Abbot Guest

    Splibbilla wrote:
    > in news:04Rne.1550901$Xk.1121841@pd7tw3no:
    >

    >>Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently
    >>downloaded
    >>"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
    >>whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
    >>Avenue A.
    >>Bfast
    >>Click Agents
    >>Double Click
    >>Fast Click
    >>Hitbox
    >>Media Plex
    >>Web Trends Live
    >>

    >>Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these
    >>permanently?? They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does
    >>look as if maybe their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
    >>
    >>Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.

    > most immediate is to set cookies to "ask" in your FF options.
    >

    > lots of people like adblock extension, and people "collect" additional entries to block.
    >

    > but
    > 1a www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts2.htm
    > (btw, spybot install offers to add a few lines to your HOSTS)
    > 1b can use marron's hostess "free ad-blocking hosts file maintenance utility."
    > accs-net.com/hostess/
    > to manage/update HOSTS entries. you might be able to setup an download manager to drop the updated HOSTS.zip to
    > your chosen Dump folder. Hostess's "Import" command retains that location. pretty simple once you work out your setup.
    >
    > 2 proxomitron (proxo "freaks" create and collect more rules, but i don't understand proxo that well, beyond adding a
    > few domains to the blocklist. proxo works well in standard setup.)
    >
    > both HOSTS and proxomitron work for all browsers, and block a lot of junk (more than just cookies? I'm actually not sure
    > exactly which layer of defenses are blocking what.)

    Also, use SBSD's immunize function. it will keep them away.

    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
    Gordon Abbot, Jun 4, 2005
  8. Colyn Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:33:00 GMT, wrote:

    >Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
    >"Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
    >whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
    >Avenue A.
    >Bfast
    >Click Agents
    >Double Click
    >Fast Click
    >Hitbox
    >Media Plex
    >Web Trends Live
    >

    >Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
    >They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
    >their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
    >
    >Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.

    Using a Firefox didn't let the spyware in. FF defaults to allow all
    cookies just like IE does on install. You went to sites that set or
    allowed others to set these cookies and you would have had the same
    problem with IE or any other browser.

    The best defence is to modify your cookies settings and use a good
    spyware program such as spybot.

    Be sure to set cookies to accept only from the site you are on and to
    dump cookies when closing FF..

    None of the cookies you listed above are harmful. They are the usual
    cookies set by various sites such as eBay (double click)..

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng
    http://www.colyngoodson.com
    Colyn, Jun 4, 2005
  9. Moz Champion Guest

    wrote:
    > Hmm I have the latest FF browser installed. I also have recently downloaded
    > "Spybot-Search and Destroy" v1.4......when I run "Spybot" I get a whole
    > whack of spyware findings such as: Advertising.com
    > Avenue A.
    > Bfast
    > Click Agents
    > Double Click
    > Fast Click
    > Hitbox
    > Media Plex
    > Web Trends Live
    >

    > Does anyone else get these results and how can I delete these permanently??
    > They keep coming back up once I start using FF. It does look as if maybe
    > their "tracking cookies"?? Is this okay?
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help as I didn't have this problem before.
    >
    > Cheers

    Cookies are not 'spyware'. Ignore them.
    Moz Champion, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Guest

    They do not block them! They keep coming back up once I start to use FF
    browser. This is very frustrating as I had no problem with the previous
    version of Spybot.
    , Jun 9, 2005
  11. default Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 00:14:54 GMT, wrote:

    >They do not block them! They keep coming back up once I start to use FF
    >browser. This is very frustrating as I had no problem with the previous
    >version of Spybot.

    You probably should post exactly what you do, and move over to the
    alt.privacy.spyware newsgroup - just a general suggestion - those
    folks probably have more experience dealing with it.

    I use Moz and Netscape, with win ME, and don't find the cookies (also
    using spybot and adaware) - so my conclusion would be that you are
    doing something different.

    This isn't a browser issue. Enable cookies and visit a site that has
    tracking cookies and you will get them.

    AND check the cookies in FireFox - Tools-Options-Cookies-View Cookies
    - do you see the same ones Spy Bot is alarming over?

    I use a "mail.com" a web based email service. In order for the site
    to work at all, cookies must be enabled. While checking my mail, I
    load up with cookies (Real Media, Double Click, and gms1.net - that
    disappear when FF closes).

    If you are getting cookies and haven't enabled cookies - that is more
    serious, and I'd sure like to know what was going on there. If you
    are getting cookies and deleting them and SB still detects them that
    may be a problem.

    The thing to do is find out if your security has been breached or
    Spybot has a problem or perhaps you're just doing something wrong.

    Flash player has the ability to put back browser cookies you delete -
    read the article URL I posted. Some accessory software will also
    accept cookies - though presumably these won't be in your firefox
    cookie cache. Some downloading software accepts cookies, some media
    players, etc..

    default, Jun 9, 2005