    you want separate programs, then use a separate RSS reader. There must
    be millions of them; heck, I even wrote one.

    Anyone else agree?

    Keith Bowes, May 30, 2004

  2. Keith Bowes

    Quivis Guest

    In article <0Mouc.8531$>,
    says...

    > Everyone's talking about splitting the suite into individual programs.
    > "One program should do one thing", they say. I find it amusing that, at
    > the same time they're spouting this philosophy, they want an RSS reader
    > integrated into the browser.
    >
    > The hypocrisy of these people is just overwhelming. In my opinion, if
    > you want separate programs, then use a separate RSS reader. There must
    > be millions of them; heck, I even wrote one.
    >
    > Anyone else agree?

    I'm a bit ambivalent. Although I understand your position, I can also
    see the benefits with having it built-in to the browser.

    Calling it hypocrisy I don't think will get you any followers. Rather,
    if I were you, I'd focus on what is bad by adding it to the browser and
    build on that.

    So far, though, I think the benefits with having it available in the
    browser would be greater than possible drawbacks. Then again, I haven't
    investigated it much, so I intend to keep my rights to change my mind.

    Q.

    Quivis, May 31, 2004

  3. Keith Bowes

    Moz Champion Guest

    Quivis wrote:

    > In article <0Mouc.8531$>,
    > says...
    >

    >>Everyone's talking about splitting the suite into individual programs.
    >>"One program should do one thing", they say. I find it amusing that, at
    >>the same time they're spouting this philosophy, they want an RSS reader
    >>integrated into the browser.
    >>
    >>The hypocrisy of these people is just overwhelming. In my opinion, if
    >>you want separate programs, then use a separate RSS reader. There must
    >>be millions of them; heck, I even wrote one.
    >>
    >>Anyone else agree?

    > I'm a bit ambivalent. Although I understand your position, I can also
    > see the benefits with having it built-in to the browser.
    >
    > Calling it hypocrisy I don't think will get you any followers. Rather,
    > if I were you, I'd focus on what is bad by adding it to the browser and
    > build on that.
    >
    > So far, though, I think the benefits with having it available in the
    > browser would be greater than possible drawbacks. Then again, I haven't
    > investigated it much, so I intend to keep my rights to change my mind.
    >

    > Q.

    Difficult to say
    there are still many advocates of the suite approach. The split approach allows for faster development (no worry about a browser change affecting the mail client per se) and allows users to choose what program they want for each function.

    Most users dont want separate components per se, they simply want things that work, right out of the box, with little or no fuss. They dont want to have to mess with email addresses if they change browsers for example, or vice versa.

    RSS, for most users, is just something else to view, and can be approached as per the plug in or built in function of the browser. Besides, if its built in, there will probably be a switch to turn it off and use your program anyway.

    Do you really want a separate ftp program? A separate search program? They were all subsumed by browser types in days past as well.
    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jun 1, 2004