    the web page. That no longer works. Can someone tell me what needs to be
    done to fix it?
    Thank you
    me, Jan 9, 2005

  2. me wrote:
    > I have been using firefox for some time also Outlook express for email.
    > Until yesterday when I had to reformat a new hard drive and did a new
    > install of everything I could click on a link in an email and it would open
    > the web page. That no longer works. Can someone tell me what needs to be
    > done to fix it?
    > Thank you

    What OS?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 10, 2005

  3. me

    me Guest

    XP Pro

    me, Jan 10, 2005
  4. me wrote:
    > XP Pro
    >

    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have been using firefox for some time also Outlook express for email.
    >>>Until yesterday when I had to reformat a new hard drive and did a new
    >>>install of everything I could click on a link in an email and it would
    >>>open the web page. That no longer works. Can someone tell me what needs
    >>>to be done to fix it?
    >>>Thank you
    >>>

    >>What OS?
    >>
    >>Lee

    Try the easy fix first. Open IE make it default browser. Then open FF
    and make it default browser. Open OE and click a link. Any change?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 10, 2005
  5. me

    me Guest

    Well as you might expect, I checked internet options, programs, Internet
    explorer should check to see whether default browser, rebooted. However it
    doesn't check, but the linking from OE to IE works.

    So I went back to Firefox and checked for it to check and it did and now it
    works, Thanks for the help.

    Now maybe you can help with my passwords problem. I copied the file
    signons.txt to my C:\Documents and Settings\Larry\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxx.default, directory. I can open the file
    and see there are encrypted passwords there but they don't show up in the
    stored passwords, unless I re-enter them. Any Idea?

    Larry

    me, Jan 10, 2005
  6. me wrote:
    > Well as you might expect, I checked internet options, programs, Internet
    > explorer should check to see whether default browser, rebooted. However it
    > doesn't check, but the linking from OE to IE works.
    >
    > So I went back to Firefox and checked for it to check and it did and now it
    > works, Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Now maybe you can help with my passwords problem. I copied the file
    > signons.txt to my C:\Documents and Settings\Larry\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxx.default, directory. I can open the file
    > and see there are encrypted passwords there but they don't show up in the
    > stored passwords, unless I re-enter them. Any Idea?
    >
    > Larry
    >
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>
    >>>XP Pro
    >>>

    >>>"Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>Try the easy fix first. Open IE make it default browser. Then open FF
    >>and make it default browser. Open OE and click a link. Any change?
    >>
    >>Lee

    Try copying over the file key3.db

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 10, 2005
  7. me

    me Guest

    Well That worked great, now I lost all passwords and it wont save any new
    ones.
    I suppose at this point Ill have to do a reinstall and try to remember all
    my passwords.

    me, Jan 10, 2005
  8. me wrote:
    > Well That worked great, now I lost all passwords and it wont save any new
    > ones.
    > I suppose at this point Ill have to do a reinstall and try to remember all
    > my passwords.
    >

    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well as you might expect, I checked internet options, programs, Internet
    >>>explorer should check to see whether default browser, rebooted. However
    >>>it doesn't check, but the linking from OE to IE works.
    >>>
    >>>So I went back to Firefox and checked for it to check and it did and now
    >>>it works, Thanks for the help.
    >>>
    >>>Now maybe you can help with my passwords problem. I copied the file
    >>>signons.txt to my C:\Documents and Settings\Larry\Application
    >>>Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxx.default, directory. I can open the
    >>>file and see there are encrypted passwords there but they don't show up
    >>>in the stored passwords, unless I re-enter them. Any Idea?
    >>>
    >>>Larry
    >>>
    >>>"Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>Try copying over the file key3.db
    >>
    >>Lee

    Well, I am sorry this has happened. I did not make the advice up:

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html#passwords

    This refers specifically to Mozilla, but with the exception of the
    password file being signons.txt instead of xxxxxxxx.s ( and therefore
    easier to copy over) it should work. If you have the old backed up
    information, the passwords should still be recoverable. I'll let
    someone else take over helping on this one though.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 11, 2005
  9. me

    me Guest

    I'm not mad at you, sorry if you took it that way. I don't complain about
    people trying to help. Its typical XP problems probley.
    Originally I did a new install of windows, then SP2, then Firefox, then I
    copied the complete profiles directory over to the new location. Everything
    is there except the passwords. That's when I posted to the news groups. It
    must be a bug that the passwords cant be copied over.

    Thanks for your help.

    Larry

    me, Jan 11, 2005
  10. me wrote:
    > I'm not mad at you, sorry if you took it that way. I don't complain about
    > people trying to help. Its typical XP problems probley.
    > Originally I did a new install of windows, then SP2, then Firefox, then I
    > copied the complete profiles directory over to the new location. Everything
    > is there except the passwords. That's when I posted to the news groups. It
    > must be a bug that the passwords cant be copied over.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Larry
    >

    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well That worked great, now I lost all passwords and it wont save any new
    >>>ones.
    >>>I suppose at this point Ill have to do a reinstall and try to remember
    >>>all my passwords.
    >>>

    >>>"Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>Well, I am sorry this has happened. I did not make the advice up:
    >>
    >>http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html#passwords
    >>
    >>This refers specifically to Mozilla, but with the exception of the
    >>password file being signons.txt instead of xxxxxxxx.s ( and therefore
    >>easier to copy over) it should work. If you have the old backed up
    >>information, the passwords should still be recoverable. I'll let someone
    >>else take over helping on this one though.
    >>
    >>Lee

    No, I'm not upset with you, I just feel badly at the poor result.

    Well, just for the heck of it, create a new, clean profile. Before
    doing any other customization, create a coupls of passwords as described
    above, to create signons.txt. Copy in the backup version, along with
    key3.db. Do all this with FF closed. Start FF, and see if they are
    there.

    If they are, proceed with copying you over your bookmarks and other
    essential data. Usually there is not much past bookmarks and passwords,
    maybe formhistory, and cookies.

    If it doesn't work, trash the profile, satart over and rebuild your
    password file manually as you had planned. Its a profile problem, there
    should be no need to uninstall and reinstall the program, just delete
    the profile and start over.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 11, 2005
  11. me

    me Guest

    Yes I already did that after I answer the email about having to start over.
    I just reinstalled FF then made a few passwords then copied those files.
    Same result.

    Larry

    me, Jan 11, 2005
  12. me wrote:
    > Yes I already did that after I answer the email about having to start over.
    > I just reinstalled FF then made a few passwords then copied those files.
    > Same result.
    >
    > Larry
    >
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm not mad at you, sorry if you took it that way. I don't complain about
    >>>people trying to help. Its typical XP problems probley.
    >>>Originally I did a new install of windows, then SP2, then Firefox, then I
    >>>copied the complete profiles directory over to the new location.
    >>>Everything is there except the passwords. That's when I posted to the
    >>>news groups. It must be a bug that the passwords cant be copied over.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for your help.
    >>>
    >>>Larry
    >>>

    >>>"Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>No, I'm not upset with you, I just feel badly at the poor result.
    >>
    >>Well, just for the heck of it, create a new, clean profile. Before doing
    >>any other customization, create a coupls of passwords as described above,
    >>to create signons.txt. Copy in the backup version, along with key3.db.
    >>Do all this with FF closed. Start FF, and see if they are there.
    >>
    >>If they are, proceed with copying you over your bookmarks and other
    >>essential data. Usually there is not much past bookmarks and passwords,
    >>maybe formhistory, and cookies.
    >>
    >>If it doesn't work, trash the profile, satart over and rebuild your
    >>password file manually as you had planned. Its a profile problem, there
    >>should be no need to uninstall and reinstall the program, just delete the
    >>profile and start over.
    >>
    >>Lee

    Last shot. Did you back up these files on a CD? If so, and if they
    were not zipped, they may very well be marked read only. Save them to
    your hard drive, and check the properties. If they are read only, that
    would cause the exact problem you face.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 11, 2005
  13. me

    me Guest

    Nice try, I backed them up to a DVD and also another HD. I was copying them
    from the HD and just checked it and they are NOT read only. I opened up the
    signon.txt in the new install with Notepad and all the passwords are in
    there but FF doesn't see them.
    Before I gave up I deleted the whole profile directory and copied in the old
    profile directory, then I also copied in the profiles.ini file so FF would
    look to the old profile. Same problem, the bookmarks, cash, cookies are
    there but NOT the passwords. It shows blank from the tools, options menu,
    however looking at the signons.txt file still shows them there.
    I even deleted eBay from my signon.txt file, then went to ebay and logged in
    and saved the password, then checked the signon.txt file and it put it back
    in there, but that's the only password that shows up in the tools menu.
    There must be someplace else that tells FF what passwords are new to the
    latest install.

    Thanks again.

    Larry

    me, Jan 11, 2005
  14. me

    me Guest

    I tried one last thing. I deleted both the mozilla directory in program
    files, and the mozilla dir in documents and settings and copied the backup
    to those directories. Everything works EXCEPT the passwords. The only thing
    left is there must be something in the registry that tells FF that the
    passwords file isn't the right one.

    me, Jan 11, 2005
  15. me

    Ed Mullen Guest

    me wrote:

    > I tried one last thing. I deleted both the mozilla directory in program
    > files, and the mozilla dir in documents and settings and copied the backup
    > to those directories. Everything works EXCEPT the passwords. The only thing
    > left is there must be something in the registry that tells FF that the
    > passwords file isn't the right one.
    >

    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes I already did that after I answer the email about having to start
    >>>over. I just reinstalled FF then made a few passwords then copied those
    >>>files. Same result.
    >>>
    >>>Larry
    >>>
    >>>"Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>Last shot. Did you back up these files on a CD? If so, and if they were
    >>not zipped, they may very well be marked read only. Save them to your
    >>hard drive, and check the properties. If they are read only, that would
    >>cause the exact problem you face.
    >>
    >>Lee

    Well, the password file is pointed to by a listing in pref.js like this:

    user_pref("signon.SignonFileName", "signons.txt");

    Also, in Firefox enter about:config in the location bar and press Enter.
    In the "Filter" bar enter "signon" (no quotes). The list will filter
    down to just a few preferences and you'll be able to see what's what.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 11, 2005
  16. me

    me Guest

    Ed:
    I'm left with:

    signon.SignonFileName ... default ... string ... signons.txt
    signon.expireMasterPassword ... default ... boolean ... false
    signon.rememberSignons ... default ... boolean ... true

    Here is what's in the pref.js file.:

    user_pref("app.update.lastUpdateDate", 1104816041);
    user_pref("app.update.updatesAvailable", true);
    user_pref("browser.anchor_color", "#0000FF");
    user_pref("browser.bookmarks.sort.direction", "natural");
    user_pref("browser.display.background_color", "#C0C0C0");
    user_pref("browser.display.use_system_colors", true);
    user_pref("browser.download.defaultFolder", "D:");
    user_pref("browser.download.dir", "D:");
    user_pref("browser.download.folderList", 2);
    user_pref("browser.download.lastDir", "C:\\Documents and
    Settings\\Administrator\\Desktop");
    user_pref("browser.preferences.lastpanel", 1);
    user_pref("browser.search.selectedEngine", "Google");
    user_pref("browser.startup.homepage",
    "http://start.mozilla.org/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial");
    user_pref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "rv:1.7.3");
    user_pref("browser.visited_color", "#800080");
    user_pref("extensions.disabledObsolete", true);
    user_pref("extensions.lastAppVersion", "0.10");
    user_pref("extensions.update.lastUpdateDate", 1104816041);
    user_pref("intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache", "windows-1252, ISO-8859-1,
    UTF-8");
    user_pref("network.cookie.prefsMigrated", true);
    user_pref("security.warn_entering_secure", false);
    user_pref("security.warn_leaving_secure", false);
    user_pref("security.warn_submit_insecure", false);
    user_pref("update.severity", 2);

    *******The line pref("signon.SignonFileName", "signons.txt"); is missing.

    I started with FF closed and I added the line
    user_pref("signon.SignonFileName", "signons.txt"); at the end then I launch
    FF and close it, its still there but on the 2nd launch it gets deleted. .

    I also tried deleting the signons.txt file, launching FF, adding a pw, then
    closing, then opening the new file and copying the passwords back in the
    signons.txt file but the only password that shows up in the tools is the
    last one I added. I have to assume that the passwords are kept in 2 places
    and because I only have changed the signons.txt file it only keeps the
    latest ones I add and not the ones I copied in because the 2 files (if there
    are 2 ) don't agree.

    Larry

    me, Jan 12, 2005
  17. me

    GK Guest

    Pipelining?

    How can I enable pipelining in Firefox? I can't seem to locate the
    option in the HELP files.
    GK, Jan 12, 2005
  18. me

    Ed Mullen Guest

    me wrote:

> [...]
    > are 2 ) don't agree.
    >

    > Larry
    >
    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>

    >>>I tried one last thing. I deleted both the mozilla directory in program
    >>>files, and the mozilla dir in documents and settings and copied the
    >>>backup to those directories. Everything works EXCEPT the passwords. The
    >>>only thing left is there must be something in the registry that tells FF
    >>>that the passwords file isn't the right one.
    >>>

    >>>"Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>Well, the password file is pointed to by a listing in pref.js like this:
    >>
    >>user_pref("signon.SignonFileName", "signons.txt");
    >>
    >>Also, in Firefox enter about:config in the location bar and press Enter.
    >>In the "Filter" bar enter "signon" (no quotes). The list will filter down
    >>to just a few preferences and you'll be able to see what's what.

    As far as I know there is only one file where passwords are saved. The
    default name is signons.txt. I wouldn't necessarily expect to see that
    pref in the prefs.js file unless you change the default value; but I'm
    not certain of that. As for all the rest, I'm stumped.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 12, 2005
  19. me

    me Guest

    Do you or anyone else know if there is a way to read the encrypted
    information that's the passwords from the signons.txt file. ?

    me, Jan 12, 2005
  20. me

    Ed Mullen Guest

    me wrote:

    > Do you or anyone else know if there is a way to read the encrypted
    > information that's the passwords from the signons.txt file. ?

    If they are not encrypted using the Master Password feature then see this:

    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_pw.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net