    These are all duplicates of other mail folders. How they arise
    isn't obvious. I can usually delete the folders, but not always.

    Any idea what causes this? Any way I can avoid this?
    Jim Blue, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Jim Blue

    Splibbilla Guest

    Jim Blue <> in news::

    > In Firefox 1.0.5 and previous, I frequently get extraneous
    > folders named nstmp, nstmp-1, nstmp-2, etc, Sometimes they are
    > subfolders, sometimes not.

    Thunderbird
    maybe someone else knows.
    you ould try asking on netscape's tbird ng.
    i guess you tried google...
    http://groups.google.dk/groups?q=nstmp&hl=en&scoring=d

    Splibbilla, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Jim Blue

    Splibbilla, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Jim Blue

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Splibbilla wrote:

    > Jim Blue <> in news::
    >

    >>In Firefox 1.0.5 and previous, I frequently get extraneous
    >>folders named nstmp, nstmp-1, nstmp-2, etc, Sometimes they are
    >>subfolders, sometimes not.

    > Thunderbird
    > maybe someone else knows.
    > you ould try asking on netscape's tbird ng.
    > i guess you tried google...
    > http://groups.google.dk/groups?q=nstmp&hl=en&scoring=d
    >

    >>These are all duplicates of other mail folders. How they arise
    >>isn't obvious. I can usually delete the folders, but not always.
    >>
    >>Any idea what causes this? Any way I can avoid this?

    FYI ...

    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_ns.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Jim Blue

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Splibbilla wrote:
    >
    >> Jim Blue <> in news::
    >>

    >>> In Firefox 1.0.5 and previous, I frequently get extraneous folders
    >>> named nstmp, nstmp-1, nstmp-2, etc, Sometimes they are subfolders,
    >>> sometimes not.

    >> Thunderbird
    >> maybe someone else knows. you ould try asking on netscape's tbird ng.
    >> i guess you tried google...
    >> http://groups.google.dk/groups?q=nstmp&hl=en&scoring=d
    >>

    >>> These are all duplicates of other mail folders. How they arise isn't
    >>> obvious. I can usually delete the folders, but not always.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what causes this? Any way I can avoid this?

    > FYI ...
    >
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_ns.html

    And as I think about it a question I've been meaning to ask comes up.

    I know there are a few folks in this group who also appear in the
    various groups on the Netscape and Mozilla servers. I'm just wondering
    how many here even know of their existence and, if you don't read those
    groups, why not?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    I was simply furnishing a home. I love music ... and I don't think a
    $130,000 indoor-outdoor stereo system is extravagant. - Leona Helmsley
    Ed Mullen, Jul 20, 2005
  6. Jim Blue

    Splibbilla Guest

    Ed Mullen <> in news::

    snip
    > And as I think about it a question I've been meaning to ask comes up.
    >
    > I know there are a few folks in this group who also appear in the
    > various groups on the Netscape and Mozilla servers. I'm just
    > wondering how many here even know of their existence and, if you don't
    > read those groups, why not?

    i don't think netscape groups show up on all ISP's news servers.

    the snews thing kept me away for quite awhile. xnews needs stunnel and maybe more to do snews.

    also the slew of groups are confusing. more confusing than ms's groups. i suggest that names of the "public" newbie groups
    be kept short.

    but to whom am i suggesting this to? :)
    right. another big problem is all of the varied places where mozware gets feedback.

    shall we tally the locatoins that are atl least reasonably busy?
    alt.fan.mozilla (here)
    various 'public-friendly' secnews netscape whatever groups
    addons comments on each extensions's pages.
    mozdev news server.
    mozdev maillists
    googlebar and a few other xpi's have thier own bb/forums.
    most themes have no commetn areas besides addons (very weak as a "forum")

    the high usage, yet "independence" of extension is also adds to the "fractured' moz discussions. MS does't really have as many
    "topics" to deal with, except that the majority of comp related usenet group (hardware etc) posts are in *context* of win. so
    from that perspective, alt.fan.mozilla is a *horridly small* representatoin of moz on usenet.

    --
    since I have to live with my crappy typing, so will you :)
    Splibbilla, Jul 20, 2005
  7. Jim Blue

    Splibbilla Guest

    Splibbilla <> in news:Xns96992D27627A7@64.85.239.19:

    > places where mozware gets feedback.

    despite the domain in link, i'm sure i found this on ilias' site
    http://www.internationalvoting.com/int3/poll.cgi?pid=16-394&popup=1&novote=1&w=600

    September 27th Poll

    Which method of support do you prefer?
    Newsgroups 22
    Web Forums 4
    IRC 0
    Total Votes Cast: 26

    admittedly small survey sampling, and no doubt an "exclusive" group :)

    ng's are preferred, probably because of their speed (all text).

    --
    and we don't have to type perfectly well :)
    Splibbilla, Jul 20, 2005
  8. Jim Blue

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Splibbilla wrote:

    > Ed Mullen <> in
    >

    > snip
    >
    >> And as I think about it a question I've been meaning to ask comes
    >> up.
    >>
    >> I know there are a few folks in this group who also appear in the
    >> various groups on the Netscape and Mozilla servers. I'm just
    >> wondering how many here even know of their existence and, if you
    >> don't read those groups, why not?

    > i don't think netscape groups show up on all ISP's news servers.

    The Netscape user groups are hosted on: secnews.netscape.com. All you
    need to do is create an account in your news reader using that server
    instead of your ISP's general news server.

    The developer groups ARE disseminated to usenet but you can also setup a
    direct account using their server (netscape.public.mozilla).

    And any traffic you do on both of those servers doesn't count toward any
    limits your ISP may place on newsgroup bandwidth. ;-)

    > the snews thing kept me away for quite awhile. xnews needs stunnel
    > and maybe more to do snews.

    Ah, ok. Are you saying that you now DO use the secnews servers using xnews?

    > also the slew of groups are confusing. more confusing than ms's
    > groups. i suggest that names of the "public" newbie groups be kept
    > short.

    Here's a brief rundown of the major end-user support groups:

    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_ns.html

    There are additional ones addressing some more specific topics such as
    multimedia, unix, etc. If you're not sure of what group to use the best
    thing to do is ask the question on netscape.mozilla.user.general.

    > but to whom am i suggesting this to? :) right. another big problem
    > is all of the varied places where mozware gets feedback.
    >
    > shall we tally the locatoins that are atl least reasonably busy?
    > alt.fan.mozilla (here) various 'public-friendly' secnews netscape
    > whatever groups addons comments on each extensions's pages. mozdev
    > news server. mozdev maillists googlebar and a few other xpi's have
    > thier own bb/forums. most themes have no commetn areas besides addons
    > (very weak as a "forum")
    >

    > the high usage, yet "independence" of extension is also adds to the
    > "fractured' moz discussions. MS does't really have as many "topics"
    > to deal with, except that the majority of comp related usenet group
    > (hardware etc) posts are in *context* of win. so from that
    > perspective, alt.fan.mozilla is a *horridly small* representatoin of
    > moz on usenet.

    And that's the main reason I asked the original question: the much
    smaller amount of activity here vs. the NS user groups.

    And to your list of "resources" above we should add Mozillazine
    (http://mozillazine.org/) and the Mozillazine Forums
    (http://forums.mozillazine.org/). I personally much prefer newsgroups
    to the forum approach but there is a wealth of info there.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html

    Lead me not into temptation (I can find the way myself).
    Ed Mullen, Jul 20, 2005
  9. Jim Blue

    Splibbilla Guest

    Ed Mullen <> in news::

    > Splibbilla wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Mullen <> in

    >> snip

    >>> I know there are a few folks in this group who also appear in the
    >>> various groups on the Netscape and Mozilla servers. I'm just
    >>> wondering how many here even know of their existence and, if you
    >>> don't read those groups, why not?

    >> i don't think netscape groups show up on all ISP's news servers.

    > The Netscape user groups are hosted on: secnews.netscape.com. All
    > you need to do is create an account in your news reader using that
    > server instead of your ISP's general news server.
    >
    > The developer groups ARE disseminated to usenet but you can also setup
    > a direct account using their server (netscape.public.mozilla).
    >
    > And any traffic you do on both of those servers doesn't count toward
    > any limits your ISP may place on newsgroup bandwidth. ;-)

    yes, i was explaining a social cause why many people not going to netscapade's newserver.
    at teh least, maybe it should be in the TB and Seamoneky install?

    >> the snews thing kept me away for quite awhile. xnews needs stunnel
    >> and maybe more to do snews.

    > Ah, ok. Are you saying that you now DO use the secnews servers using
    > xnews?

    nope. stunnel is a "someday" thing for me. i suspect it's pretty simple to setup. but, maybe mr tran will put snews into xnews
    before i get round to stunneling :)

    one headache of xnews is that there are a lot of keyboard commands. it's very easy to accidentally click a command,
    and suddenly some part of the UI has changed. usually poking around in menus, you find somethign that looks the likely fix.
    but there are so many commands in menus, the short names aren't enlightening. xnews badly needs bubblehelp tooltip things.
    Or a really tight help functoin (xnews has an html 'manual'. That plus googling groups)

    spellheck plugin would be nice.

    xnews can do the older B&W X-face header.

    and i was able to manually paste in the newer color Face header (messageface extension base64 encode etc).
    i'm pretty sure i could add that as a custom header.

    x-no-archive is a checkbox in compose window

    also, with more effort users can add buttons. I've never looked into that, but there are things i'd like to do on the fly (such as
    Face, maybe)

    snip

    > Here's a brief rundown of the major end-user support groups:
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_ns.html

    google has led me to your site numerous times :)
    including the firstime i setup netscape snews

    > There are additional ones addressing some more specific topics such as
    > multimedia, unix, etc. If you're not sure of what group to use the
    > best thing to do is ask the question on netscape.mozilla.user.general.

    snip
    >> alt.fan.mozilla (here) various 'public-friendly' secnews netscape
    >> whatever groups addons comments on each extensions's pages. mozdev
    >> news server. mozdev maillists googlebar and a few other xpi's have
    >> thier own bb/forums. most themes have no commetn areas besides addons
    >> (very weak as a "forum")

    snip
    >> . so from that
    >> perspective, alt.fan.mozilla is a *horridly small* representatoin of
    >> moz on usenet.
    >>

    > And that's the main reason I asked the original question: the much
    > smaller amount of activity here vs. the NS user groups.
    >
    > And to your list of "resources" above we should add Mozillazine
    > (http://mozillazine.org/) and the Mozillazine Forums
    > (http://forums.mozillazine.org/). I personally much prefer newsgroups
    > to the forum approach but there is a wealth of info there.

    also i think extensoin room, but when searching for info, mozalline comes up more often.
    i've had trouble logging onto mozalline. set cookies to "request (including laxing the non-originating-whatever that 2nd
    checkbox)" at least once think i managed to post.

    dissappointing to me, because i think some of teh 'mozine' forii are where build troubles are (popularily) posted and (popularily)
    read.

    --
    http://kmgerich.com/archive/000071.html
    Splibbilla, Jul 23, 2005