Firefox and IE6 Browser Problems Possible Solutions?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Heidi Manway, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    Hi I intermitently get this problem,

    "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.We are
    sorry for the inconvenience"

    Send Error (Button)

    Don't Send (Button)

    This happens in Firefox Browser and IE6 too.

    In IE6 I get in the Url address bar "About blank" displays a total
    white screen.

    Whats happening ?
    I think the solution to this is to play around with registry which is
    dodgy and can severely destabilise
    my computer resulting in the dreaded C:Format

    Heidi

    Heidi Manway, Dec 9, 2006

  2. Heidi Manway

    thanatoid Guest

    "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in

    > Hi I intermitently get this problem,
    >
    > "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
    > close.We are sorry for the inconvenience"
    >
    > Send Error (Button)
    >
    > Don't Send (Button)
    >
    > This happens in Firefox Browser and IE6 too.
    >
    > In IE6 I get in the Url address bar "About blank" displays
    > a total white screen.
    >
    > Whats happening ?
    > I think the solution to this is to play around with
    > registry which is dodgy and can severely destabilise
    > my computer resulting in the dreaded C:Format
    >
    > Heidi

    A bunch of things could be causing this. The easiest way to deal
    with it is to uninstall Firefox, NEVER use IE/OE for ANYTHING
    except reading chm format help files, and install Opera as your
    only browser (I also like OffByOne but most people find it too
    limited).

    If the problem persists, you have a virus or something. Proceed
    as suggested in every tenth post in this and other help groups.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 9, 2006

  3. Heidi Manway

    Andy Guest

    Its sounds like a virus or spyware has installed what's called Browser
    Hijacking which replaces your startup page in Internet Explorer with another
    one or the about blank page.

    make sure you are up to date with spyware and virus removal programs and
    have them configured to 'scan all files' on the PC (takes a longer time but
    its thorough)

    Turn off 'error reporting' in the settings/system/advanced panel in Windows
    XP.

    There is a free program you can download from the internet called Hijack
    this! and remove the things that say BHO (browser hijack object) and another
    free program to download called startpage guard (spguard.exe) this is
    without going anywhere near your registry or formatting your hard disk but
    as ever if it don't come easy to you then you should call your local
    friendly PC repair man out to fix your troubles :)

    Andy.

    Andy, Dec 9, 2006
  4. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > Its sounds like a virus or spyware has installed what's called Browser
    > Hijacking which replaces your startup page in Internet Explorer with another
    > one or the about blank page.
    >
    > make sure you are up to date with spyware and virus removal programs and
    > have them configured to 'scan all files' on the PC (takes a longer time but
    > its thorough)
    >
    > Turn off 'error reporting' in the settings/system/advanced panel in Windows
    > XP.
    >
    > There is a free program you can download from the internet called Hijack
    > this! and remove the things that say BHO (browser hijack object) and another
    > free program to download called startpage guard (spguard.exe) this is
    > without going anywhere near your registry or formatting your hard disk but
    > as ever if it don't come easy to you then you should call your local
    > friendly PC repair man out to fix your troubles :)
    >
    > Andy.

    > "Heidi Manway" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi I intermitently get this problem,
    > >
    > > "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.We are
    > > sorry for the inconvenience"
    > >
    > > Send Error (Button)
    > >
    > > Don't Send (Button)
    > >
    > > This happens in Firefox Browser and IE6 too.
    > >
    > > In IE6 I get in the Url address bar "About blank" displays a total
    > > white screen.
    > >
    > > Whats happening ?
    > > I think the solution to this is to play around with registry which is
    > > dodgy and can severely destabilise
    > > my computer resulting in the dreaded C:Format
    > >
    > > Heidi

    Hi Andy

    I have Norton System Works 2007 installed how come this is NOT
    detecting spyware?
    what do I need?

    Yes it true I think in IE6 my Page is been hijacked (about:blank
    Webpage all blank
    and another webpage just all white too.
    but I have Google Toolbar in there Google Accelerator, and Yahoo
    Messenger Toolbar aswell as Camfrog Toolbar how do I uninstall will I
    lose functionality If I do I suspect I will, so its Add /remove
    programs Control Panel?

    Regards,

    Heidi

    Heidi Manway, Dec 11, 2006
  5. Heidi Manway

    Andy Guest

    "Heidi Manway" <> wrote:

    > Hi Andy
    >
    > I have Norton System Works 2007 installed how come this is NOT
    > detecting spyware?
    > what do I need?
    >
    > Yes it true I think in IE6 my Page is been hijacked (about:blank
    > Webpage all blank
    > and another webpage just all white too.
    > but I have Google Toolbar in there Google Accelerator, and Yahoo
    > Messenger Toolbar aswell as Camfrog Toolbar how do I uninstall will I
    > lose functionality If I do I suspect I will, so its Add /remove
    > programs Control Panel?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Heidi

    Have you kept your Norton System Works 2007 up to date though? some people
    seem to think that you go out and buy the product and that's it that you
    don't have to do anything else with it. In fact I had a lady the other day
    say to me does the computer have to be turned on to update the antivirus
    program and where do I get these updates from? ! - It turned out she loaded
    the program but had never updated it since loading the program and choosing
    to ignore the messages about updating so its virus definitions had gone
    right out of date.

    Use spybot, and AVG antispyware and adaware personal edition and the
    startpage guard program and I think you will be OK. Try not to run the
    spyware programs at the same time because conflicts may happen between
    programs.

    One thing is that if you think your IE6 page has been hijacked because it
    has the about page try typing in the address bar this: http://www.yahoo.ie/
    and press go and let the page load and then go to tools/internet options in
    IE6 and underneath homepage click on the button that says 'use current' if
    that sticks and next time you open up IE6 and the browser displays the Irish
    Yahoo page I reckon you will be OK

    Andy.

    Andy, Dec 11, 2006
  6. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > "Heidi Manway" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Andy
    > >
    > > I have Norton System Works 2007 installed how come this is NOT
    > > detecting spyware?
    > > what do I need?
    > >
    > > Yes it true I think in IE6 my Page is been hijacked (about:blank
    > > Webpage all blank
    > > and another webpage just all white too.
    > > but I have Google Toolbar in there Google Accelerator, and Yahoo
    > > Messenger Toolbar aswell as Camfrog Toolbar how do I uninstall will I
    > > lose functionality If I do I suspect I will, so its Add /remove
    > > programs Control Panel?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Heidi
    > >> >

    > Have you kept your Norton System Works 2007 up to date though? some people
    > seem to think that you go out and buy the product and that's it that you
    > don't have to do anything else with it. In fact I had a lady the other day
    > say to me does the computer have to be turned on to update the antivirus
    > program and where do I get these updates from? ! - It turned out she loaded
    > the program but had never updated it since loading the program and choosing
    > to ignore the messages about updating so its virus definitions had gone
    > right out of date.
    >
    > Use spybot, and AVG antispyware and adaware personal edition and the
    > startpage guard program and I think you will be OK. Try not to run the
    > spyware programs at the same time because conflicts may happen between
    > programs.
    >
    > One thing is that if you think your IE6 page has been hijacked because it
    > has the about page try typing in the address bar this: http://www.yahoo.ie/
    > and press go and let the page load and then go to tools/internet options in
    > IE6 and underneath homepage click on the button that says 'use current' if
    > that sticks and next time you open up IE6 and the browser displays the Irish
    > Yahoo page I reckon you will be OK
    >
    > Andy

    Hi I removed Google Web Accelerator in Add or Remove Programs had my
    suspicions about this.

    Yahoo Instant Messenger is this possibly dodgy too?

    I have run a total system scan with Norton.

    And downloaded that StartUp Program to too prevent hijacking Home Page
    on Start Up

    Heidi.

    Heidi Manway, Dec 11, 2006
  7. Heidi Manway

    Andy Guest

    "Heidi Manway" <> wrote:

    > Hi I removed Google Web Accelerator in Add or Remove Programs had my
    > suspicions about this.
    >
    > Yahoo Instant Messenger is this possibly dodgy too?
    >
    > I have run a total system scan with Norton.
    >
    > And downloaded that StartUp Program to too prevent hijacking Home Page
    > on Start Up
    >

    > Heidi.

    Yep, you checked for Spyware as well as Viruses did you? - whilst you are
    at it you can download another free effective program called zappit by
    cloudeight software to clean out your temporary internet files and internet
    cookies.

    Andy.

    Andy, Dec 11, 2006
  8. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > "Heidi Manway" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi I removed Google Web Accelerator in Add or Remove Programs had my
    > > suspicions about this.
    > >
    > > Yahoo Instant Messenger is this possibly dodgy too?
    > >
    > > I have run a total system scan with Norton.
    > >
    > > And downloaded that StartUp Program to too prevent hijacking Home Page
    > > on Start Up
    > >

    > > Heidi.
    > >

    > Yep, you checked for Spyware as well as Viruses did you? - whilst you are
    > at it you can download another free effective program called zappit by
    > cloudeight software to clean out your temporary internet files and internet
    > cookies.
    >
    > Andy.

    Hi I found Gain adware on my PC I fixed and deleted that.

    Thanks

    Heidi

    Heidi Manway, Dec 12, 2006
  9. Heidi Manway

    Andy Guest

    > Andy wrote:
    >> "Heidi Manway" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi I removed Google Web Accelerator in Add or Remove Programs had my
    >> > suspicions about this.
    >> >
    >> > Yahoo Instant Messenger is this possibly dodgy too?
    >> >
    >> > I have run a total system scan with Norton.
    >> >
    >> > And downloaded that StartUp Program to too prevent hijacking Home Page
    >> > on Start Up
    >> >

    >> > Heidi.
    >> >

    >> Yep, you checked for Spyware as well as Viruses did you? - whilst you
    >> are
    >> at it you can download another free effective program called zappit by
    >> cloudeight software to clean out your temporary internet files and
    >> internet
    >> cookies.
    >>
    >> Andy.

    > Hi I found Gain adware on my PC I fixed and deleted that.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Heidi

    Glad you got it sorted Heidi. If you regularly check for Spyware and Viruses
    and keep the programs up to date you should be OK in future.

    Andy.

    Andy, Dec 12, 2006