Firefox advantages?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Matt O'Toole, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite the hype,
    I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster on my
    700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs perfectly
    smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing with various
    plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had browser crashes
    for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.

    What am I missing?

    Some people really like the separate Google search bar. I don't find it any
    real advantage -- if you set Mozilla to search Google automatically, all you do
    is type in the address bar, hit Tab | Enter, and it does the same thing. The
    only difference is hitting Tab before vs. after you type in your search terms.
    I guess not having the search terms show up in your address history is less
    confusing... so I'll go with this, but it's no big deal.

    Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same old legacy
    Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better -- being
    able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
    Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at
    once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.

    Just some thoughts...

    Matt O.

    Matt O'Toole, Nov 5, 2004

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Ranjit Guest

    That's real strange.
    I find FF to be waaay light weight as compared to Mozilla.
    Even on my athlon XP 2500, Mozilla takes more time than FF.

    Ranjit, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Matt O'Toole wrote:
    > As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite the hype,
    > I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster on my
    > 700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs perfectly
    > smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing with various
    > plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had browser crashes
    > for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Some people really like the separate Google search bar. I don't find it any
    > real advantage -- if you set Mozilla to search Google automatically, all you do
    > is type in the address bar, hit Tab | Enter, and it does the same thing. The
    > only difference is hitting Tab before vs. after you type in your search terms.
    > I guess not having the search terms show up in your address history is less
    > confusing... so I'll go with this, but it's no big deal.
    >
    > Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same old legacy
    > Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better -- being
    > able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
    > Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at
    > once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.
    >
    > Just some thoughts...

    I mostly agree, though FF has never crashed for me. Maybe it's because
    I use Linux, or maybe because it always annoys me away before it has a
    chance.

    Keith Bowes, Nov 6, 2004
  4. Matt O'Toole

    Himm Guest

    Matt O'Toole wrote:
    > As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite the hype,
    > I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster on my
    > 700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs perfectly
    > smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing with various
    > plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had browser crashes
    > for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Some people really like the separate Google search bar. I don't find it any
    > real advantage -- if you set Mozilla to search Google automatically, all you do
    > is type in the address bar, hit Tab | Enter, and it does the same thing. The
    > only difference is hitting Tab before vs. after you type in your search terms.
    > I guess not having the search terms show up in your address history is less
    > confusing... so I'll go with this, but it's no big deal.
    >
    > Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same old legacy
    > Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better -- being
    > able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
    > Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at
    > once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.
    >
    > Just some thoughts...
    >
    > Matt O.

    you should continue to use mozilla then and stay happy

    Himm, Nov 6, 2004
  5. Matt O'Toole

    p51d007 Guest

    Firefox is a stand alone browser, spun off from Mozilla
    Mozilla is a browser, email client, irc manager, etc......it's a
    "suite" whereas firefox is just a browser.

    p51d007, Nov 6, 2004
  6. Matt O'Toole

    kjetil Guest

    Matt O'Toole schreef:

    > Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same old legacy
    > Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better -- being
    > able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
    > Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at
    > once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.

    that's true.
    but if you install this extensions your problem will be fixes (imho)

    http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=117&vid=265

    kjetil

    kjetil, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Matt O'Toole

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Himm wrote:
    > Matt O'Toole wrote:
    >
    >> As a long time Mozilla user, I've been using Firefox lately. Despite
    >> the hype,
    >> I don't see any advantages over Mozilla. It doesn't seem any faster
    >> on my
    >> 700Mhz machine, either starting up or browsing. While Mozilla runs
    >> perfectly
    >> smoothly all the time, Firefox seems a jerky loading pages, dealing
    >> with various
    >> plugins, etc., and has a few bugs here and there. I haven't had
    >> browser crashes
    >> for ages with Mozilla, but with Firefox I have one or two daily.
    >>
    >> What am I missing?
    >>
    >> Some people really like the separate Google search bar. I don't find
    >> it any
    >> real advantage -- if you set Mozilla to search Google automatically,
    >> all you do
    >> is type in the address bar, hit Tab | Enter, and it does the same
    >> thing. The
    >> only difference is hitting Tab before vs. after you type in your
    >> search terms.
    >> I guess not having the search terms show up in your address history is
    >> less
    >> confusing... so I'll go with this, but it's no big deal.
    >>
    >> Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same
    >> old legacy
    >> Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other browsers do better
    >> -- being
    >> able to right-click | delete bookmarks on the menu like IE, or opening an
    >> Explorer-type window and being able to drag and drop loads of
    >> bookmarks all at
    >> once, like older versions of IE, or Konquerer.
    >>
    >> Just some thoughts...
    >>
    >> Matt O.
    >>

    > you should continue to use mozilla then and stay happy

    Of course. But the Mozilla guys act like it's the best thing since
    sliced bread, pretend that only organizations that have standardized on
    it (not individual users) use it, aggressively push it, and the
    developers are extremely aristocratic.

    So, it's not hard to wonder why so many people seem to like it. But no
    one has any concrete answers.

    Keith Bowes, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Matt O'Toole

    Keith Bowes Guest

    p51d007 wrote:
    > Firefox is a stand alone browser, spun off from Mozilla
    > Mozilla is a browser, email client, irc manager, etc......it's a
    > "suite" whereas firefox is just a browser.

    Not quite. Firefox is a browser, download manager, RSS reader, ...
    Mozilla is a browser, e-mail/newsgroup reader (optional), and HTML
    editor. IRC chat is available for both.

    So, Firefox lovers say it's only a browser, but it's actually everything
    but an e-mail/newsgroup reader.

    Keith Bowes, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    kjetil wrote:

    > Matt O'Toole schreef:

    >> Also, I still can't stand the Bookmark management, which is the same
    >> old legacy Netscape POS, only worse. This is one thing other
    >> browsers do better -- being able to right-click | delete bookmarks
    >> on the menu like IE, or opening an Explorer-type window and being
    >> able to drag and drop loads of bookmarks all at once, like older
    >> versions of IE, or Konquerer.

    > that's true.
    > but if you install this extensions your problem will be fixes (imho)

    > http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=117&vid=265

    Looks good, but unfortunately won't work with my 1.0!

    Matt O.

    Matt O'Toole, Nov 9, 2004