    1. Advertising

  2. History Fan

    Simian Dyson Guest

    Simian Dyson, Aug 16, 2005

  3. History Fan

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:43:01 GMT, "Simian Dyson"
    <[nospam]> spake thusly:

    >OK, that's it. I'm going back to IE. I sure don't want to be a user of some
    >program whose 'usage dipped.'

    Yea, better to go with what most do,
    no matter how bad it is. As long as
    most do it, that makes it good.

    --

    Pastor Dave

    http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/solution.html

    http://tinyurl.com/ce97m

    "The word 'believe' comes from an Old English word,
    'bylive'. What we believe, is what we live by.
    Don't tell me you believe, if you don't live by it."
    - Adrian Rogers

    http://www.delusionresistance.org/creation/christ_scientific_creation.html
    Pastor Dave, Aug 16, 2005
  4. History Fan

    Moz Champion Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:43:01 GMT, "Simian Dyson"
    > <[nospam]> spake thusly:
    >

    >>OK, that's it. I'm going back to IE. I sure don't want to be a user of some
    >>program whose 'usage dipped.'

    > Yea, better to go with what most do,
    > no matter how bad it is. As long as
    > most do it, that makes it good.

    Lemmings must think that way <g> They plunge off the cliff in droves.
    Moz Champion, Aug 16, 2005
  5. History Fan

    SteveG Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:

    > Yea, better to go with what most do,
    > no matter how bad it is. As long as
    > most do it, that makes it good.

    Don't knock it ... just look at how many flies eat shit :))

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Aug 16, 2005
  6. History Fan

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:44:55 GMT, "SteveG
    <\"s.goodfellow\"@blueyonder" <"dot> spake thusly:

    >Pastor Dave wrote:
    >

    >> Yea, better to go with what most do,
    >> no matter how bad it is. As long as
    >> most do it, that makes it good.
    >>

    >Don't knock it ... just look at how many flies eat shit :))

    Your crude language is not a testimony
    of intelligence.

    Pastor Dave, Aug 16, 2005
  7. History Fan

    SteveG Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:44:55 GMT, "SteveG
    > <\"s.goodfellow\"@blueyonder" <"dot> spake thusly:
    >

    >>Pastor Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yea, better to go with what most do,
    >>>no matter how bad it is. As long as
    >>>most do it, that makes it good.
    >>>

    >>Don't knock it ... just look at how many flies eat shit :))

    > Your crude language is not a testimony
    > of intelligence.

    I'm sorry if my direct use of the language offends you but I tried to
    substitute different words to end what was intended to be a humorous
    quip only none of them sounded right.

    As with my use of crude words, your erudite offerings also do not
    automatically convey intelligence. Have a nice day ;-)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Aug 16, 2005
  8. History Fan

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:03:16 GMT, "SteveG
    <\"s.goodfellow\"@blueyonder" <"dot> spake thusly:

    >Pastor Dave wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:44:55 GMT, "SteveG
    >> <\"s.goodfellow\"@blueyonder" <"dot> spake thusly:

    >>>Don't knock it ... just look at how many flies eat shit :))

    >> Your crude language is not a testimony
    >> of intelligence.
    >>

    >I'm sorry if my direct use of the language offends you but I tried to
    >substitute different words to end what was intended to be a humorous
    >quip only none of them sounded right.

    I know. I didn't mean to come off so bluntly.
    I just don't appreciate foul language and
    frankly, I though that the handle would have
    tipped you off. :)

    >As with my use of crude words, your erudite offerings also do not
    >automatically convey intelligence. Have a nice day ;-)

    My comment made a point. Trying to reverse
    the point, only further demonstrates that you
    are not able to maturely handle a discussion.

    I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. If you have
    used foul language, you are the one in need
    of apologizing for that lack of respect, not I.

    Pastor Dave, Aug 16, 2005
  9. History Fan

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:08:06 GMT, Pastor Dave
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:03:16 GMT, "SteveG
    ><\"s.goodfellow\"@blueyonder" <"dot> spake thusly:
    >
    >>Pastor Dave wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:44:55 GMT, "SteveG
    >>> <\"s.goodfellow\"@blueyonder" <"dot> spake thusly:

    >>> Your crude language is not a testimony
    >>> of intelligence.
    >>>

    >>I'm sorry if my direct use of the language offends you but I tried to
    >>substitute different words to end what was intended to be a humorous
    >>quip only none of them sounded right.

    >I know. I didn't mean to come off so bluntly.
    >I just don't appreciate foul language and
    >frankly, I though that the handle would have
    >tipped you off. :)
    >

    >>As with my use of crude words, your erudite offerings also do not
    >>automatically convey intelligence. Have a nice day ;-)

    >My comment made a point. Trying to reverse
    >the point, only further demonstrates that you
    >are not able to maturely handle a discussion.
    >
    >I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. If you have
    >used foul language, you are the one in need
    >of apologizing for that lack of respect, not I.

    Isn't "foul" in the eye of the beholder?

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
    | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

    Jim Thompson, Aug 16, 2005
  10. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jim Thompson wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:08:06 GMT, Pastor Dave
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:03:16 GMT, "SteveG
    >><\"s.goodfellow\"@blueyonder" <"dot> spake thusly:

    >>>I'm sorry if my direct use of the language offends you but I tried to
    >>>substitute different words to end what was intended to be a humorous
    >>>quip only none of them sounded right.

    >>I know. I didn't mean to come off so bluntly.
    >>I just don't appreciate foul language and
    >>frankly, I though that the handle would have
    >>tipped you off. :)
    >>

    >>>As with my use of crude words, your erudite offerings also do not
    >>>automatically convey intelligence. Have a nice day ;-)

    >>My comment made a point. Trying to reverse
    >>the point, only further demonstrates that you
    >>are not able to maturely handle a discussion.
    >>
    >>I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. If you have
    >>used foul language, you are the one in need
    >>of apologizing for that lack of respect, not I.

    > Isn't "foul" in the eye of the beholder?
    >
    > ...Jim Thompson

    Actually, almost everything is "in the eye of the beholder" if you want
    to rationalize it far enough.

    I have been known to have a vocabulary more colorful than the proverbial
    crew-full of sailors. Still, I know that certain venues are more
    appropriate for that behavior than others. It's all a matter of having
    some (even marginal) sensitivity for my fellow persons. I have,
    generally, no desire to make others (especially anonymous
    cyber-acquaintances) feel uncomfortable.

    In a public social environment like this I choose to err on the
    conservative side. Just easier, nicer, less annoying, less
    confrontational ... etc. etc. etc. But to each his own. You can't
    really expect to have your sensibilities respected in an environment
    like this any more than you can expect to not hear offensive things as
    you wander about the local shopping mall. Of course, for those who
    wander the mall spouting off crudities, all that does is diminish their
    credibility.

    Now, come over to my house for dinner and, well, that's my turf and a
    whole 'nother story! ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Aug 17, 2005
  11. History Fan

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:03:13 -0700, Jim Thompson
    <> spake thusly:

    >>>As with my use of crude words, your erudite offerings also do not
    >>>automatically convey intelligence. Have a nice day ;-)

    >>My comment made a point. Trying to reverse
    >>the point, only further demonstrates that you
    >>are not able to maturely handle a discussion.
    >>
    >>I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. If you have
    >>used foul language, you are the one in need
    >>of apologizing for that lack of respect, not I.

    >Isn't "foul" in the eye of the beholder?

    That depends on who you're hunting with. :)

    Pastor Dave, Aug 17, 2005
  12. History Fan

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:05:40 -0400, Ed Mullen
    <> spake thusly:

    >> Isn't "foul" in the eye of the beholder?
    >>
    >> ...Jim Thompson

    >Actually, almost everything is "in the eye of the beholder" if you want
    >to rationalize it far enough.
    >
    >I have been known to have a vocabulary more colorful than the proverbial
    >crew-full of sailors. Still, I know that certain venues are more
    >appropriate for that behavior than others.

    I am not trying to start an argument with you,
    so please don't misunderstand me., But I
    don't think that there is ANY venue in which
    foul language is appropriate. To me, it just
    shows a lack of ability to communicate
    intelligently and someone who has run out
    of options for rebuttal and instead of being
    honest enough to admit that, resorts to foul
    language.

    Also, to me, defending the use of foul language
    at any point, demonstrates the moral corruption
    of the person.

    >It's all a matter of having
    >some (even marginal) sensitivity for my fellow persons.

    This, I agree with and I think that although
    the person may be prone to the usage of
    foul language, it shows at least some level
    of integrity, to stop and say, "Hey, this would
    be offensive and I choose not to do it.".

    Of course, we are way off track for this news group. :)

    Pastor Dave, Aug 17, 2005
  13. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:05:40 -0400, Ed Mullen
    > <> spake thusly:
    >

    >>>Isn't "foul" in the eye of the beholder?
    >>>
    >>> ...Jim Thompson

    >>Actually, almost everything is "in the eye of the beholder" if you want
    >>to rationalize it far enough.
    >>
    >>I have been known to have a vocabulary more colorful than the proverbial
    >>crew-full of sailors. Still, I know that certain venues are more
    >>appropriate for that behavior than others.

    > I am not trying to start an argument with you,
    > so please don't misunderstand me., But I
    > don't think that there is ANY venue in which
    > foul language is appropriate. To me, it just
    > shows a lack of ability to communicate
    > intelligently and someone who has run out
    > of options for rebuttal and instead of being
    > honest enough to admit that, resorts to foul
    > language.
    >
    > Also, to me, defending the use of foul language
    > at any point, demonstrates the moral corruption
    > of the person.

    Fair enough. Your point is well made. And whether or not I agree is
    immaterial. I still respect your feelings. Which, really, was what I was
    trying to say. I have no need nor inclination to argue either.
    However, you've now told me that I've demonstrated the moral corruption
    of my own person by way of my argument, assuming that I'm reading you
    correctly. And I won't even argue that with you. If that's your take,
    so be it. I'm not offended nor even off-put by the notion. I find the
    discussion interesting and worth having. I can always find something
    new to think about in discourses such as these and, even at my age,
    always find some reason to consider again my position and modify it. Or
    not. ;-)

    >>It's all a matter of having
    >>some (even marginal) sensitivity for my fellow persons.

    > This, I agree with and I think that although
    > the person may be prone to the usage of
    > foul language, it shows at least some level
    > of integrity, to stop and say, "Hey, this would
    > be offensive and I choose not to do it.".
    >
    > Of course, we are way off track for this news group. :)

    The nice thing about unmoderated groups is that you can wander far
    afield without too much fear of either reprisal or transgression of
    propriety. If enough people say "Shut up!" ... well, then we will. ;-)

    Of course, intrinsic in this discussion is some agreement on what
    constitutes "foul" language. I've noticed that a common occurrence in
    newsgroup arguments is a failure to agree on definition of terms. I
    sense that you have a rigid definition of "foul" and I have a more fluid
    one which is adjusted according to circumstance and situation. Which,
    again, was part of the points I tried to make. I recognize that almost
    as many different definitions exist as there are people. And try to
    adjust accordingly. Hence our ability to enjoy this discussion
    without falling prey to the lure of absolutes, eh?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
    Ed Mullen, Aug 17, 2005
  14. History Fan

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:32:30 -0400, Ed Mullen
    <> spake thusly:

    >Pastor Dave wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:05:40 -0400, Ed Mullen
    >> <> spake thusly:

    >>>Actually, almost everything is "in the eye of the beholder" if you want
    >>>to rationalize it far enough.
    >>>
    >>>I have been known to have a vocabulary more colorful than the proverbial
    >>>crew-full of sailors. Still, I know that certain venues are more
    >>>appropriate for that behavior than others.

    >> I am not trying to start an argument with you,
    >> so please don't misunderstand me., But I
    >> don't think that there is ANY venue in which
    >> foul language is appropriate. To me, it just
    >> shows a lack of ability to communicate
    >> intelligently and someone who has run out
    >> of options for rebuttal and instead of being
    >> honest enough to admit that, resorts to foul
    >> language.
    >>
    >> Also, to me, defending the use of foul language
    >> at any point, demonstrates the moral corruption
    >> of the person.

    >Fair enough. Your point is well made. And whether or not I agree is
    >immaterial. I still respect your feelings. Which, really, was what I was
    >trying to say.

    I know that, Ed and I figured that was your message.

    No worries, my friend. :)

    Pastor Dave, Aug 17, 2005
  15. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:32:30 -0400, Ed Mullen
    > <> spake thusly:
    >

    >>Pastor Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:05:40 -0400, Ed Mullen
    >>><> spake thusly:

    >>>I am not trying to start an argument with you,
    >>>so please don't misunderstand me., But I
    >>>don't think that there is ANY venue in which
    >>>foul language is appropriate. To me, it just
    >>>shows a lack of ability to communicate
    >>>intelligently and someone who has run out
    >>>of options for rebuttal and instead of being
    >>>honest enough to admit that, resorts to foul
    >>>language.
    >>>
    >>>Also, to me, defending the use of foul language
    >>>at any point, demonstrates the moral corruption
    >>>of the person.

    >>Fair enough. Your point is well made. And whether or not I agree is
    >>immaterial. I still respect your feelings. Which, really, was what I was
    >>trying to say.

    > I know that, Ed and I figured that was your message.
    >
    > No worries, my friend. :)

    Kinda figured that's what you'd say. Reassuring to see it happen,
    though! :)

    Look, in this day and age, I figure that if two people can agree to
    disagree, well, that's a high-water mark. Good for both of us.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.
    Ed Mullen, Aug 17, 2005