Firefox Adobe Problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Roland Deodorant, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
    file. Is there a fix?

    Roland Deodorant, Jun 29, 2007

  2. Roland Deodorant

    Guest

    On Jun 28, 4:15 pm, Roland Deodorant <> wrote:
    > Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
    > file. Is there a fix?

    reinstall adobe. Just adobe and nothing else. And do it with FF
    closed.

    , Jun 29, 2007

  3. Roland Deodorant

    SteveG Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jun 28, 4:15 pm, Roland Deodorant <> wrote:
    >> Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
    >> file. Is there a fix?

    > reinstall adobe. Just adobe and nothing else. And do it with FF
    > closed.

    Crikey Peter, that's a bit drastic for a first suggestion! Not too
    problematical if the OP is just talking about Acrobat Reader but very
    time consuming if it's the full blown Acrobat .. assuming it's Acrobat
    at all, that is.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jun 29, 2007
  4. Roland Deodorant

    SteveG Guest

    Roland Deodorant wrote:
    > Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
    > file. Is there a fix?

    I think Peter's suggestion is a bit OTT for a first stab at this, but
    feel free to follow his advice if you want to.

    Are we talking about Adobe Acrobat Reader, Acrobat itself or some other
    Adobe programme - the advice will almost certainly depend on which
    application you have.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jun 29, 2007
  5. SteveG <_@_._> wrote in

    > Roland Deodorant wrote:
    >> Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it
    >> won't the file. Is there a fix?

    > I think Peter's suggestion is a bit OTT for a first stab at this, but
    > feel free to follow his advice if you want to.
    >
    > Are we talking about Adobe Acrobat Reader, Acrobat itself or some
    > other Adobe programme - the advice will almost certainly depend on
    > which application you have.

    Yes, it would be Acrobat Reader. It won't open PDF files.

    Roland Deodorant, Jun 29, 2007
  6. Roland Deodorant

    Miller Guest

    *Roland Deodorant* wrote on 29.06.07 13:41:
    > SteveG <_@_._> wrote in
    >
    >> Roland Deodorant wrote:
    >>> Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it
    >>> won't the file. Is there a fix?

    >> I think Peter's suggestion is a bit OTT for a first stab at this, but
    >> feel free to follow his advice if you want to.
    >>
    >> Are we talking about Adobe Acrobat Reader, Acrobat itself or some
    >> other Adobe programme - the advice will almost certainly depend on
    >> which application you have.
    >>

    > Yes, it would be Acrobat Reader. It won't open PDF files.

    Try Foxit Reader instead of Acrobat Reader.
    It's way faster and does what you want it to do.
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    HTH, Miller

    Miller, Jun 29, 2007
  7. Roland Deodorant

    SteveG Guest

    Roland Deodorant wrote:
    > SteveG <_@_._> wrote in
    >
    >> Roland Deodorant wrote:
    >>> Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it
    >>> won't the file. Is there a fix?

    >> I think Peter's suggestion is a bit OTT for a first stab at this, but
    >> feel free to follow his advice if you want to.
    >>
    >> Are we talking about Adobe Acrobat Reader, Acrobat itself or some
    >> other Adobe programme - the advice will almost certainly depend on
    >> which application you have.
    >>

    > Yes, it would be Acrobat Reader. It won't open PDF files.

    Whilst I agree with Miller that Foxit is better and faster than Acrobat
    Reader if you really want to persevere then go into Readers preferences
    and check the settings under the Internet tab.

    HTH

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jun 29, 2007
  8. Miller <> wrote in news:46850d44$0$14870$9b4e6d93
    @newsspool4.arcor-online.net:

    >> Yes, it would be Acrobat Reader. It won't open PDF files.

    > Try Foxit Reader instead of Acrobat Reader.
    > It's way faster and does what you want it to do.
    > http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    Thank you.

    Roland Deodorant, Jun 29, 2007
  9. SteveG <_@_._> wrote in news:x5chi.14088$:

    >> Yes, it would be Acrobat Reader. It won't open PDF files.

    > Whilst I agree with Miller that Foxit is better and faster than Acrobat
    > Reader if you really want to persevere then go into Readers preferences
    > and check the settings under the Internet tab.

    I don't see in the Internet tap of Reader where I can make it work with
    Firefox.

    Roland Deodorant, Jun 29, 2007
  10. Roland Deodorant

    SteveG Guest

    Roland Deodorant wrote:
    > SteveG <_@_._> wrote in news:x5chi.14088$:
    >
    >>> Yes, it would be Acrobat Reader. It won't open PDF files.

    >> Whilst I agree with Miller that Foxit is better and faster than Acrobat
    >> Reader if you really want to persevere then go into Readers preferences
    >> and check the settings under the Internet tab.

    > I don't see in the Internet tap of Reader where I can make it work with
    > Firefox.

    Ok, Reader will use whichever application is set in Windows as your
    default for pdf files. This need to be set to Acrobat Reader. Then in
    Reader go to EDIT >> PREFERENCES >> INTERNET and set the way in which
    you want Reader to interact with your browser - you don't need to tell
    it which browser you're using.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jun 29, 2007
  11. SteveG <_@_._> wrote in

    >>> Whilst I agree with Miller that Foxit is better and faster than
    >>> Acrobat Reader if you really want to persevere then go into Readers
    >>> preferences and check the settings under the Internet tab.

    >> I don't see in the Internet tap of Reader where I can make it work
    >> with Firefox.

    > Ok, Reader will use whichever application is set in Windows as your
    > default for pdf files. This need to be set to Acrobat Reader. Then in
    > Reader go to EDIT >> PREFERENCES >> INTERNET and set the way in which
    > you want Reader to interact with your browser - you don't need to tell
    > it which browser you're using.
    >
    > --

    Ok, I have adobe reader 8 and under that internet tab it says this:

    "Display PDF in browser" which is checked.
    "Allow fast web view" which is checked.
    "Allow speculative downloading in the background" which is checked.

    It has an internet speed and then an "internet settings" button.

    I am sorry, but I am new to this and I am not sure what to do.

    Also, when I open up explorer 7, which is NOT my default browser, and
    open a .PDF file it works. It just doesn't work in Firefox.

    Roland Deodorant, Jun 30, 2007
  12. Roland Deodorant

    Guest

    On Jun 29, 4:09 pm, Roland Deodorant <> wrote:

    > >> I don't see in the Internet tap of Reader where I can make it work
    > >> with Firefox.

    > > Ok, Reader will use whichever application is set in Windows as your
    > > default for pdf files. This need to be set to Acrobat Reader. Then in
    > > Reader go to EDIT >> PREFERENCES >> INTERNET and set the way in which
    > > you want Reader to interact with your browser - you don't need to tell
    > > it which browser you're using.

    > > --

    > Ok, I have adobe reader 8 and under that internet tab it says this:
    >
    > "Display PDF in browser" which is checked.
    > "Allow fast web view" which is checked.
    > "Allow speculative downloading in the background" which is checked.
    >
    > It has an internet speed and then an "internet settings" button.
    >
    > I am sorry, but I am new to this and I am not sure what to do.
    >
    > Also, when I open up explorer 7, which is NOT my default browser, and
    > open a .PDF file it works. It just doesn't work in Firefox.

    did you reinstall as I had suggested?

    , Jun 30, 2007
  13. Roland Deodorant

    SteveG Guest

    Roland Deodorant wrote:
    > SteveG <_@_._> wrote in

    >>> I don't see in the Internet tap of Reader where I can make it work
    >>> with Firefox.

    >> Ok, Reader will use whichever application is set in Windows as your
    >> default for pdf files. This need to be set to Acrobat Reader. Then in
    >> Reader go to EDIT >> PREFERENCES >> INTERNET and set the way in which
    >> you want Reader to interact with your browser - you don't need to tell
    >> it which browser you're using.
    >>
    >> --

    > Ok, I have adobe reader 8 and under that internet tab it says this:
    >
    > "Display PDF in browser" which is checked.
    > "Allow fast web view" which is checked.
    > "Allow speculative downloading in the background" which is checked.
    >
    > It has an internet speed and then an "internet settings" button.
    >
    > I am sorry, but I am new to this and I am not sure what to do.
    >
    > Also, when I open up explorer 7, which is NOT my default browser, and
    > open a .PDF file it works. It just doesn't work in Firefox.

    Did you check in Windows to make Reader the default pdf application?

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jun 30, 2007
  14. Roland Deodorant

    Lou Briccant Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:15:51 -0500, Roland Deodorant <>
    wrote:

    >Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
    >file. Is there a fix?

    Allows to choose if you want to view a PDF file inside the browser (as
    PDF or HTML), if you want to view it outside Firefox with your default
    or custom PDF reader, or if you want to download it!

    PDF Download solves the problems everyone has about handling PDF files
    with Firefox. This extension, every time you click on a link, checks if
    the target is a pdf file and in this case let you choose what you want
    to do (open pdf file inside or outside Firefox, download it to the
    filesystem or view it as HTML).
    PDF Download is not a PDF plugin: you still need to have installed the
    Adobe or the FoxIt PDF plugin if you want to open a PDF inside Firefox.
    Works with:

    * Firefox Firefox: 1.5 – 2.0.0.*

    Lou Briccant, Jun 30, 2007
  15. Roland Deodorant, Jun 30, 2007
  16. Roland Deodorant

    Charani Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:15:51 -0500, Roland Deodorant wrote:

    > Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
    > file. Is there a fix?

    I had the same problem with Mozilla about 2 years ago and solved it by
    switching to FoxIt which is much faster to load. I haven't had any
    problems since then. (No, I don't have anything to do with FoxIt other
    than as a satisfied user.)

    Charani, Jul 1, 2007
  17. Roland Deodorant

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Charani wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:15:51 -0500, Roland Deodorant wrote:
    >
    >> Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it won't the
    >> file. Is there a fix?

    > I had the same problem with Mozilla about 2 years ago and solved it by
    > switching to FoxIt which is much faster to load. I haven't had any
    > problems since then. (No, I don't have anything to do with FoxIt other
    > than as a satisfied user.)

    In Firefox and SeaMonkey I have no trouble with .pdf files. Most of the
    problems like these were with earlier versions of Adobe Reader. The
    latest version (8.1) works fine. There is an option to "Open pdf files
    in browser" which, if unchecked, opens Adobe separately and, if checked,
    opens the document in the browser. In addition to feature enhancements
    Adobe has also issued updates which make it desirable (if not important)
    to upgrade to the latest version.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 1, 2007
  18. Ed Mullen <> wrote in

    >>> Why won't Firefox open Adobe? When a .pdf filed tries to open it
    >>> won't the file. Is there a fix?

    >> I had the same problem with Mozilla about 2 years ago and solved it
    >> by switching to FoxIt which is much faster to load. I haven't had
    >> any problems since then. (No, I don't have anything to do with FoxIt
    >> other than as a satisfied user.)

    > In Firefox and SeaMonkey I have no trouble with .pdf files. Most of
    > the problems like these were with earlier versions of Adobe Reader.
    > The latest version (8.1) works fine. There is an option to "Open pdf
    > files in browser" which, if unchecked, opens Adobe separately and, if
    > checked, opens the document in the browser. In addition to feature
    > enhancements Adobe has also issued updates which make it desirable (if
    > not important) to upgrade to the latest version.

    I just updated Adobe Reader to 8.1 and it is good. Thanks for all of your
    help, but the add on to open Pdf's in the browser worked like a charm.

    Excellet support you guys, I appreciate it.

    Roland Deodorant, Jul 2, 2007