    OneStat¢s users shows."

    "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging them to
    think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own products."
    #, Nov 25, 2004

  2. #

    impossible Guest

    "#" <> wrote in message
    news:26img0z9shuw$...
    > http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388
    >
    > "Microsoft¢s popular Internet Explorer web browser has, for the first time
    > in half a decade, dropped below 90% market share, a recent study of
    > OneStat¢s users shows."
    >
    > "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging them
    > think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own products."

    IE's 90%+ share was always a shocker. In its wildest dreams, MS never would
    have imagined it could get that. But yeah, now they'll sweat every % they
    lose. To me, though, this looks less like a trend and more like a Firefox
    1.0 new-release blip. 5.6 million copies of Firefox were downloaded in just
    2 weeks. At that rate of uptake, IE would be buried in a year, which seems
    rather unlikely. Let's see what the numbers look like in 3-6 months after
    the experimentors have finished experimenting.
    impossible, Nov 25, 2004

  3. # wrote:
    > http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388

    > "Microsoft¢s popular Internet Explorer web browser has, for the first time
    > in half a decade, dropped below 90% market share, a recent study of
    > OneStat¢s users shows."

    > "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging them to
    > think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own products."

    It's quite interesting.
    I read a new article about technical sites, and they are showing IE at
    between 65 and 70% with variations of Mozilla taking up another 25-30%
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  4. #

    impossible Guest

    ># wrote:
    >> http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388

    >> "Microsoft¢s popular Internet Explorer web browser has, for the first
    >> time
    >> in half a decade, dropped below 90% market share, a recent study of
    >> OneStat¢s users shows."

    >> "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging them
    >> think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own products."

    > It's quite interesting.
    > I read a new article about technical sites, and they are showing IE at
    > between 65 and 70% with variations of Mozilla taking up another 25-30%

    What's a "technical site" exactly? And where's this article?
    impossible, Nov 25, 2004
  5. #

    Dorado Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "#" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388
    >>
    >> "Microsoft¢s popular Internet Explorer web browser has, for the
    >> first time in half a decade, dropped below 90% market share, a
    >> recent study of OneStat¢s users shows."
    >>
    >> "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging
    >> them to
    >> think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own
    >> products."

    > IE's 90%+ share was always a shocker. In its wildest dreams, MS never
    > would have imagined it could get that. But yeah, now they'll sweat
    > every % they lose. To me, though, this looks less like a trend and
    > more like a Firefox
    > 1.0 new-release blip. 5.6 million copies of Firefox were downloaded
    > in just 2 weeks. At that rate of uptake, IE would be buried in a
    > year, which seems rather unlikely. Let's see what the numbers look
    > like in 3-6 months after the experimentors have finished
    > experimenting.

    This is a very good point. I know atleast 5 others including myself who have
    been using firefox since 0.8 release and downloaded 1.0 as soon as it was
    out. But all of us have since gone back to using Maxthon. So the number of
    downloads doesn't really say much, there are a lot of people giving it a
    try, whether they switch over to it, only time will tell.
    Dorado, Nov 25, 2004
  6. impossible wrote:
    >>It's quite interesting.
    >>I read a new article about technical sites, and they are showing IE at
    >>between 65 and 70% with variations of Mozilla taking up another 25-30%

    > What's a "technical site" exactly? And where's this article?

    looking now, but it was about a week back that I saw it.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  7. #

    Chris Hope Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >># wrote:
    >>> http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388

    >>> "Microsoft¢s popular Internet Explorer web browser has, for the first
    >>> time
    >>> in half a decade, dropped below 90% market share, a recent study of
    >>> OneStat¢s users shows."

    >>> "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging them
    >>> think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own products."

    >> It's quite interesting.
    >> I read a new article about technical sites, and they are showing IE at
    >> between 65 and 70% with variations of Mozilla taking up another 25-30%

    > What's a "technical site" exactly? And where's this article?

    The article was in the first line of the OP
    http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388

    I think by technical site he means one that technical people (read geeks)
    visit. My own site is a technical oriented site, dealing with stuff like
    MySQL & PHP, and a rolling average for the last 90 days shows 25% of users
    using Mozilla or Firefox; for the last 30 days it's 29%. So it's true for
    my particular technical site.

    Chris Hope, Nov 25, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> It's quite interesting.
    >>> I read a new article about technical sites, and they are showing IE
    >>> at between 65 and 70% with variations of Mozilla taking up another
    >>> 25-30%

    >> What's a "technical site" exactly? And where's this article?

    > looking now, but it was about a week back that I saw it.

    found one of the sites it referenced...
    http://tinyurl.com/5rrut

    which, ironically, is at the lower end of the mozilla scale.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  9. #

    impossible Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    impossible wrote:

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >># wrote:
    >>> http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388

    >>> "Microsoft¢s popular Internet Explorer web browser has, for the first
    >>> time
    >>> in half a decade, dropped below 90% market share, a recent study of
    >>> OneStat¢s users shows."

    >>> "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging them
    >>> think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own products."

    >> It's quite interesting.
    >> I read a new article about technical sites, and they are showing IE at
    >> between 65 and 70% with variations of Mozilla taking up another 25-30%

    > What's a "technical site" exactly? And where's this article?

    > The article was in the first line of the OP
    > http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388

    > I think by technical site he means one that technical people (read geeks)
    > visit. My own site is a technical oriented site, dealing with stuff like
    > MySQL & PHP, and a rolling average for the last 90 days shows 25% of users
    > using Mozilla or Firefox; for the last 30 days it's 29%. So it's true for
    > my particular technical site.

    Ok, good. But then you'd expect IE to have a much smaller share in that
    market. Wouldn't you? If the overall OneStat numbers hold up over the next
    few months, I'll be impressed, but I suspect there's a lot of people out
    there just trying on the new Firefox release.
    impossible, Nov 25, 2004
  10. #

    Chris Hope Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's quite interesting.
    >>> I read a new article about technical sites, and they are showing IE at
    >>> between 65 and 70% with variations of Mozilla taking up another 25-30%

    >> What's a "technical site" exactly? And where's this article?

    >> The article was in the first line of the OP
    >> http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388

    >> I think by technical site he means one that technical people (read geeks)
    >> visit. My own site is a technical oriented site, dealing with stuff like
    >> MySQL & PHP, and a rolling average for the last 90 days shows 25% of
    >> users using Mozilla or Firefox; for the last 30 days it's 29%. So it's
    >> true for my particular technical site.

    > Ok, good. But then you'd expect IE to have a much smaller share in that
    > market. Wouldn't you? If the overall OneStat numbers hold up over the next
    > few months, I'll be impressed, but I suspect there's a lot of people out
    > there just trying on the new Firefox release.

    But 25% to 30% using Mozilla means that about 65% to 70% are using IE.
    Compared with a roughly 10% / 90% split for the overall market then yes, IE
    does have a much smaller share in that market. I wouldn't yet expect IE to
    drop below 50% in the technical market. And depending what MS does it may
    never. You never know, the IE that comes with Longhorn may be a real
    kickass browser (then again, it may not).

    One of the main reasons MS has lost market share is the pretty much stopped
    developing their browser after XP was released. The browser development
    stagnated, and a new upstart borwser called Mozilla appeared. There are
    some parallels here between when Netscape's browser development stagnated
    after version 4 and IE took over as the market leader.

    The difference then though was that it was much easier to control the
    browser market when the leading contender sucks (ie NN4) and you have 95%
    market share of the desktop OS market. It's impressive that Mozilla has got
    to 10% (and growing) of the market, but I'd bet money that if MS hadn't
    more or less stopped development work on IE that they'd be lucky to have
    5%.

    Chris Hope, Nov 25, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> What's a "technical site" exactly? And where's this article?

    >> looking now, but it was about a week back that I saw it.

    > found one of the sites it referenced...
    > http://tinyurl.com/5rrut
    > which, ironically, is at the lower end of the mozilla scale.

    and some more.
    http://tinyurl.com/5qzg

    down the bottom in red.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> found one of the sites it referenced...
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5rrut
    >> which, ironically, is at the lower end of the mozilla scale.

    > and some more.
    > http://tinyurl.com/5qzg
    > down the bottom in red.

    and mine, just copied from one of my log/stat generators.
    Unknown 1493 28.37%
    MS Internet Explorer 6.0 1491 28.33%
    Mozilla 5.0 1075 20.43%
    Netscape 531 10.09%
    Mozilla 4.0 225 4.28%
    Mozilla Firebird 0.7 95 1.81%
    Mozilla 2.0 32 0.61%
    MS Internet Explorer 5.5 31 0.59%
    Safari 85.6 29 0.55%
    Konqueror 3.2 24 0.46%
    MS Internet Explorer 5.01 19 0.36%
    MultiZilla 1.6.4.0 19 0.36%
    Netscape 7.1 18 0.34%
    Safari 125.9 18 0.34%
    MS Internet Explorer 5.0 15 0.29%
    Konqueror 3 12 0.23%
    Safari 125.7 12 0.23%
    Opera 7.23 10 0.19%
    Safari 85.7 10 0.19%

    anything below here is kinda meaningless as are a lot of the above, but
    they're there for completeness.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  13. In article <co5e26$1s1$> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004
    09:07:45 +1300, Dorado <> says...
    > impossible wrote:
    > > "#" <> wrote in message
    > >> http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388
    > >>
    > >> "Microsoft¢s popular Internet Explorer web browser has, for the
    > >> first time in half a decade, dropped below 90% market share, a
    > >> recent study of OneStat¢s users shows."
    > >>
    > >> "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging
    > >> them to
    > >> think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own
    > >> products."

    > > IE's 90%+ share was always a shocker. In its wildest dreams, MS never
    > > would have imagined it could get that. But yeah, now they'll sweat
    > > every % they lose. To me, though, this looks less like a trend and
    > > more like a Firefox
    > > 1.0 new-release blip. 5.6 million copies of Firefox were downloaded
    > > in just 2 weeks. At that rate of uptake, IE would be buried in a
    > > year, which seems rather unlikely. Let's see what the numbers look
    > > like in 3-6 months after the experimentors have finished
    > > experimenting.

    > This is a very good point. I know atleast 5 others including myself who have
    > been using firefox since 0.8 release and downloaded 1.0 as soon as it was
    > out. But all of us have since gone back to using Maxthon.

    Why?

    Did you also try Mozilla?
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004
  14. #

    Allistar Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "#" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388
    >>
    >> "Microsoft¢s popular Internet Explorer web browser has, for the first
    >> time in half a decade, dropped below 90% market share, a recent study of
    >> OneStat¢s users shows."
    >>
    >> "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging them
    >> think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own products."

    > IE's 90%+ share was always a shocker. In its wildest dreams, MS never
    > would have imagined it could get that. But yeah, now they'll sweat every %
    > they lose. To me, though, this looks less like a trend and more like a
    > Firefox 1.0 new-release blip. 5.6 million copies of Firefox were
    > downloaded in just 2 weeks. At that rate of uptake, IE would be buried in
    > a year, which seems rather unlikely. Let's see what the numbers look like
    > in 3-6 months after the experimentors have finished experimenting.

    Those download counts are only from the Firefox download site arn't they?
    Ie. I do an "emerge mozilla-firefox" in gentoo I'm certain that that is not
    counted towards the total (and I am one user who has done that on 5
    different computers so far).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 26, 2004
  15. "Dorado" <> wrote in message news:

    > This is a very good point. I know atleast 5 others including myself who

    have
    > been using firefox since 0.8 release and downloaded 1.0 as soon as it was
    > out. But all of us have since gone back to using Maxthon. So the number of
    > downloads doesn't really say much, there are a lot of people giving it a
    > try, whether they switch over to it, only time will tell.

    Keep in mind a lot of people don't download it, they get it off a magazine
    CD or
    other offline source. I've put Firefox on about six PC's in the last month.

    I won't be going back to IE until MS ditch ActiveX (unlikely) or figure out
    how
    to secure it (impossible) or at least provide a good way to toggle it off/on
    so
    I can leave it off and manually turn it on for what few sites actually NEED
    it
    The only reason I retain it at all is I need to have my htm source files
    edit in
    Notepad so Search and Replace can do its thing. If I can figure out how to
    change the default html editor in Firefox to Notepad I'll never need to use
    IE
    again except for testing purposes
    Regards
    Peter J
    see www.safe-nz.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Nov 26, 2004
  16. Peter Jenkins wrote:
    > or at least provide a good way to toggle it off/on
    > so
    > I can leave it off and manually turn it on for what few sites actually NEED
    > it

    there are quite a few utils that you can use to do this.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 26, 2004
  17. #

    impossible Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    impossible wrote:

    > One of the main reasons MS has lost market share is the pretty much
    > stopped
    > developing their browser after XP was released. The browser development
    > stagnated, and a new upstart borwser called Mozilla appeared. There are
    > some parallels here between when Netscape's browser development stagnated
    > after version 4 and IE took over as the market leader.

    > The difference then though was that it was much easier to control the
    > browser market when the leading contender sucks (ie NN4) and you have 95%
    > market share of the desktop OS market. It's impressive that Mozilla has
    > got
    > to 10% (and growing) of the market, but I'd bet money that if MS hadn't
    > more or less stopped development work on IE that they'd be lucky to have
    > 5%.

    Mozilla is a solid alternative now to IE, just as Netscape once was. But for
    all the years of development that went into this project, the actual
    differences between IE and Mozilla in terms of feature-sets are pretty
    small, at this point, don't you think? Kinda makes you wonder just how much
    innovation there is to squeeze out of this technology -- no matter who's
    running the show. So while I agree that MS has reason to be concerned about
    its market share, I don't really see a new "browser war" shaping up. There's
    just not enough in it for anyone to get excited about. Both products --
    Mozilla and IE -- will continue to be developed, of course. But IE will
    always enjoy an overwhelming edge in attractiveness, I think,simply on the
    basis of its tight integration with the Windows OS and a wide range of
    popular applications.
    impossible, Nov 26, 2004
  18. #

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "#" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=388
    >>>
    >>> "Microsoft¢s popular Internet Explorer web browser has, for the first
    >>> time in half a decade, dropped below 90% market share, a recent study of
    >>> OneStat¢s users shows."
    >>>
    >>> "The decline prompted the software giant to contact clients, urging them
    >>> think twice before switching to free alternatives to its own products."

    >> IE's 90%+ share was always a shocker. In its wildest dreams, MS never
    >> would have imagined it could get that. But yeah, now they'll sweat every
    >> %
    >> they lose. To me, though, this looks less like a trend and more like a
    >> Firefox 1.0 new-release blip. 5.6 million copies of Firefox were
    >> downloaded in just 2 weeks. At that rate of uptake, IE would be buried in
    >> a year, which seems rather unlikely. Let's see what the numbers look like
    >> in 3-6 months after the experimentors have finished experimenting.

    > Those download counts are only from the Firefox download site arn't they?
    > Ie. I do an "emerge mozilla-firefox" in gentoo I'm certain that that is
    > not
    > counted towards the total (and I am one user who has done that on 5
    > different computers so far).

    Yes, the download figure is just from the Firefox site, I believe. But the
    number of copies installed by other means would be very small by comparison.
    A few hundred thousand more maybe?
    impossible, Nov 26, 2004
  19. #

    impossible Guest

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> found one of the sites it referenced...
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/5rrut
    >>> which, ironically, is at the lower end of the mozilla scale.

    >> and some more.
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5qzg
    >> down the bottom in red.

    > and mine, just copied from one of my log/stat generators.
    > Unknown 1493 28.37%
    > MS Internet Explorer 6.0 1491 28.33% Mozilla 5.0 1075 20.43% Netscape
    > 531 10.09% Mozilla 4.0 225 4.28% Mozilla Firebird 0.7 95 1.81%
    > Mozilla 2.0 32 0.61%
    > MS Internet Explorer 5.5 31 0.59%
    > Safari 85.6 29 0.55%
    > Konqueror 3.2 24 0.46%
    > MS Internet Explorer 5.01 19 0.36%
    > MultiZilla 1.6.4.0 19 0.36%
    > Netscape 7.1 18 0.34%
    > Safari 125.9 18 0.34%
    > MS Internet Explorer 5.0 15 0.29%
    > Konqueror 3 12 0.23%
    > Safari 125.7 12 0.23%
    > Opera 7.23 10 0.19%
    > Safari 85.7 10 0.19%
    >
    > anything below here is kinda meaningless as are a lot of the above, but
    > they're there for completeness.

    Are you logging individual hits here or individual users? Because (reading
    the article in the OP) I get the impression that OneStat uses a survey
    formula based on tracking users. I don't know for sure -- maybe you or
    someone else does -- but the choice of survey method would make quite a
    difference in how you interpret the numbers.
    impossible, Nov 26, 2004
  20. #

    EMB Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Yes, the download figure is just from the Firefox site, I believe. But the
    > number of copies installed by other means would be very small by comparison.
    > A few hundred thousand more maybe?

    I dunno - my one download has been installed onto 40 or so machines by
    me, and several copies have been distributed on CD too.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 26, 2004