firefox .9.2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matthew Poole, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. In article <>, (Steve Robertson) wrote:
    >Ive just installed the new Firefox
    >It's trying to access the internet when I open it

    *SNIP*
    >Is it "phoning home" each time I open it??

    No. It's checking that you actually have an active TCP connection, so
    that it knows whether to open in online or offline mode.
    Matthew Poole, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Ive just installed the new Firefox
    It's trying to access the internet when I open it,but is has
    a blank page for the homepage, so it shouldnt need internet access till I
    type in a URL.
    Is it "phoning home" each time I open it??
    Steve Robertson, Jul 21, 2004

  3. In article <>, (Steve Robertson)
    wrote:
    > Ive just installed the new Firefox
    > It's trying to access the internet when I open it,but is has
    > a blank page for the homepage, so it shouldnt need internet access till I
    > type in a URL.
    > Is it "phoning home" each time I open it??

    0.9.1 phones home by default after first install.
    This is their way of checking how many installs are done,
    it also verifies your connection.

    Once you have set a blank home page it honours this.
    Maybe the upgrade was just phoning home first
    before reading your old settings....
    J.Random Luser, Jul 22, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    in says...
    > In article <>, (Steve Robertson)
    > wrote:
    > > Ive just installed the new Firefox
    > > It's trying to access the internet when I open it,but is has
    > > a blank page for the homepage, so it shouldnt need internet access till I
    > > type in a URL.
    > > Is it "phoning home" each time I open it??

    > 0.9.1 phones home by default after first install.
    > This is their way of checking how many installs are done,
    > it also verifies your connection.
    >
    > Once you have set a blank home page it honours this.
    > Maybe the upgrade was just phoning home first
    > before reading your old settings....

    Mine dials every time, blank page or not
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Matthew Poole

    Collector Guest

    Patrick Dunford said the following on 22/07/2004 12:32:

    > In article <>,
    > in says...
    >
    >>In article <>, (Steve Robertson)
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ive just installed the new Firefox
    >>>It's trying to access the internet when I open it,but is has
    >>>a blank page for the homepage, so it shouldnt need internet access till I
    >>>type in a URL.
    >>>Is it "phoning home" each time I open it??

    >>0.9.1 phones home by default after first install.
    >>This is their way of checking how many installs are done,
    >>it also verifies your connection.
    >>
    >>Once you have set a blank home page it honours this.
    >>Maybe the upgrade was just phoning home first
    >>before reading your old settings....

    > Mine dials every time, blank page or not

    Two words *UPDATE AGENT*
    Collector, Jul 22, 2004

  6. >>
    >> Mine dials every time, blank page or not

    >Two words *UPDATE AGENT*

    And very nice words they are. Can you elaborate??
    No option to disable update agent, isnt int the "help" either
    Steve Robertson, Jul 23, 2004
  7. Matthew Poole

    Collector Guest

    Steve Robertson said the following on 23/07/2004 18:03:

    >>>Mine dials every time, blank page or not

    >>Two words *UPDATE AGENT*

    > And very nice words they are. Can you elaborate??
    > No option to disable update agent, isnt int the "help" either

    I retract my previous post exam of my firewall logs shows it is loading
    the favicon from the bookmark links.
    Collector, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Matthew Poole

    samg Guest

    (Steve Robertson) wrote in news::

    >>> Mine dials every time, blank page or not

    >>Two words *UPDATE AGENT*

    > And very nice words they are. Can you elaborate??
    > No option to disable update agent, isnt int the "help" either

    tools, options, advanced, software update.
    samg, Jul 24, 2004

  9. >>>> Mine dials every time, blank page or not
    >>>Two words *UPDATE AGENT*

    >> And very nice words they are. Can you elaborate??
    >> No option to disable update agent, isnt int the "help" either

    >tools, options, advanced, software update.

    All disabled. Didnt help.
    Steve Robertson, Jul 24, 2004