    evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
    clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.

    So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 16, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Craig Sutton Guest

    news:hldomg$h2s$...
    > I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days,

    switch it off and go to bed
    ..

    Craig Sutton, Feb 16, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:32:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
    > evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
    > clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.
    >
    > So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

    Why on earth would you want to be running a web browser for such a long time as that??

    Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the browser until the next time
    you need to look at a website?

    Sweetpea, Feb 16, 2010
  4. In message <>, Sweetpea wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:32:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
    >> evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
    >> clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.
    >>
    >> So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

    > Why on earth would you want to be running a web browser for such a long
    > time as that??

    Why on earth would I want to keep quitting it all the time?

    > Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the
    > browser until the next time you need to look at a website?

    But I’m ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
    Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 16, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    > I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days,

    LOL, I know I'd get a hardon if I ran FF continuously for 5 days.

    >But I’m ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
    >Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

    Sad.... no, pathetic.

    Cima, Feb 16, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-02-16, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Sweetpea wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:32:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
    >>> evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
    >>> clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.
    >>>
    >>> So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

    >> Why on earth would you want to be running a web browser for such a long
    >> time as that??

    > Why on earth would I want to keep quitting it all the time?
    >
    >> Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the
    >> browser until the next time you need to look at a website?

    > But I’m ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
    > Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

    Nevertheless, I shall ask the question. Are you reading them while they are
    open?

    Gordon, Feb 17, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Sweetpea wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:32:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
    >> evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
    >> clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.
    >>
    >> So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

    > Why on earth would you want to be running a web browser for such a long time as that??
    >
    > Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the browser until the next time
    > you need to look at a website?

    Google reader, gmail, twitter, all stay open in tabs that I look at
    frequently.

    Why should I have to close an app and reopen it to have it start doing
    the same thing it was doing before but at an acceptable speed.

    This reminds me of the old days where you had to reboot a windows
    machine weekly to keep it working properly.

    Richard, Feb 17, 2010
  8. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2010-02-16, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >> In message <>, Sweetpea wrote:
    >>
    >>> Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the
    >>> browser until the next time you need to look at a website?

    >> But I’m ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
    >> Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

    > Nevertheless, I shall ask the question. Are you reading them while they
    > are open?

    Bit difficult to do it when they’re not. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 17, 2010
  9. In message <>, Cima wrote:

    >>But IÂ’m ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
    >>Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

    > Sad.... no, pathetic.

    Only if you’re not getting a profit out of it. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 17, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    On 17/02/2010 6:10 p.m., Richard wrote:

    > This reminds me of the old days where you had to reboot a windows
    > machine weekly to keep it working properly.

    It sounds like Larry's linux box has graduated to needing a weekly
    fingering to stay stable.

    EMB, Feb 17, 2010
  11. EMB <> wrote:

    > On 17/02/2010 6:10 p.m., Richard wrote:
    >
    >> This reminds me of the old days where you had to reboot a windows
    >> machine weekly to keep it working properly.

    > It sounds like Larry's linux box has graduated to needing a weekly
    > fingering to stay stable.

    I _beg_ your _pardon_? :-|

    --
    - Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Feb 17, 2010
  12. In message <hlg2h1$odf$>, EMB wrote:

    > On 17/02/2010 6:10 p.m., Richard wrote:
    >
    >> This reminds me of the old days where you had to reboot a windows
    >> machine weekly to keep it working properly.

    > It sounds like Larry's linux box has graduated to needing a weekly
    > fingering to stay stable.

    ldo@theon:~> w
    20:40:05 up 34 days, 13 min, 11 users, load average: 0.18, 0.20, 0.13
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    ldo pts/0 :0.0 14Jan10 5:07m 1.31s 1.31s /bin/bash
    ^^^^^^^

    Some of us have actually experienced the difference between relaunching
    an application and rebooting the system.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 17, 2010
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:10:38 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > Sweetpea wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:32:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
    >>> evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding
    >>> to clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for
    >>> longer.
    >>>
    >>> So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

    >> Why on earth would you want to be running a web browser for such a long
    >> time as that??
    >>
    >> Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close
    >> the browser until the next time you need to look at a website?

    > Google reader, gmail, twitter, all stay open in tabs that I look at
    > frequently.
    >
    > Why should I have to close an app and reopen it to have it start doing
    > the same thing it was doing before but at an acceptable speed.
    >
    > This reminds me of the old days where you had to reboot a windows
    > machine weekly to keep it working properly.

    Ya still do! In fact, best to reboot daily if you want optimal performance!

    Sweetpea, Feb 17, 2010
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:32:44 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > But I’m ALWAYS looking at websites.

    [raises eyebrow]

    Always?

    > I have pages open for days on end.
    > Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

    I use bookmarks to refer to pages I want to view again, and if I want to avoid using the bandwidth I
    simply save a local copy.

    Sweetpea, Feb 17, 2010