    Any ideas of where to look?

    Thanks!

    Steve

    steve281499, Jul 1, 2008

  2. steve281499 wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > This must sound weird, but since I loaded Firefox 3 final release,
    > Firefox is slower opening pages. Often to get a link to open I have to
    > click on the link again. I am at a loss since Firefox 2.14 did not
    > have that problem, nor did the Release Candidate versions of Firefox
    > 3. I suspect (based on no evidence!) that something from the prior
    > versions is "hanging up" Firefox 3.
    >
    > Any ideas of where to look?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    nope, sorry I can't say that. FF3 opens pages a lot faster
    than FF2, and others are seeing that, too. Are you using
    the same profile for FF3 as you did for FF2? If so, then try
    using a new profile and see what happens.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 1, 2008

  3. steve281499

    steve281499 Guest

    On Jun 30, 9:20 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:
    > steve281499 wrote:
    > > Hi!

    > > This must sound weird, but since I loaded Firefox 3 final release,
    > > Firefox is slower opening pages. Often to get a link to open I have to
    > > click on the link again. I am at a loss since Firefox 2.14 did not
    > > have that problem, nor did the Release Candidate versions of Firefox
    > > 3. I suspect (based on no evidence!) that something from the prior
    > > versions is "hanging up" Firefox 3.

    > > Any ideas of where to look?

    > > Thanks!

    > > Steve

    > nope, sorry I can't say that.  FF3 opens pages a lot faster
    > than FF2, and others are seeing that, too.  Are you using
    > the same profile for FF3 as you did for FF2? If so, then try
    > using a new profile and see what happens.
    >
    > --
    > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!
    >
    > Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus..htm

    Thanks for the reply.

    I realize that the consensus is that FF3 is faster than the previous
    versions, I did not mean to say or imply that. I just know that
    something is wrong with my installation and I can not figure out what
    is wrong.

    How do I go about creating a new profile?? My first thought was to
    delete the current one - which seems to be the one that I had before -
    but needed guidance before doing that.

    Thanks!

    Steve
    steve281499, Jul 1, 2008
  4. Justin wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:20:56 -0700]:
    >> steve281499 wrote:
    >>> Hi!
    >>>
    >>> This must sound weird, but since I loaded Firefox 3 final release,
    >>> Firefox is slower opening pages. Often to get a link to open I have to
    >>> click on the link again. I am at a loss since Firefox 2.14 did not
    >>> have that problem, nor did the Release Candidate versions of Firefox
    >>> 3. I suspect (based on no evidence!) that something from the prior
    >>> versions is "hanging up" Firefox 3.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas of where to look?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> nope, sorry I can't say that. FF3 opens pages a lot faster
    >> than FF2, and others are seeing that, too. Are you using
    >> the same profile for FF3 as you did for FF2? If so, then try
    >> using a new profile and see what happens.

    > I have noticed FF3 be a little slower. My question is this though,
    > what's the effing point of having profiles that you spend months
    > customising if the default answer to every problem is "sorry, start
    > again".

    because profiles can become corrupt with a bad extension or
    something.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 1, 2008
  5. steve281499 wrote:
    > On Jun 30, 9:20 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >> steve281499 wrote:
    >>> Hi!
    >>> This must sound weird, but since I loaded Firefox 3 final release,
    >>> Firefox is slower opening pages. Often to get a link to open I have to
    >>> click on the link again. I am at a loss since Firefox 2.14 did not
    >>> have that problem, nor did the Release Candidate versions of Firefox
    >>> 3. I suspect (based on no evidence!) that something from the prior
    >>> versions is "hanging up" Firefox 3.
    >>> Any ideas of where to look?
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> nope, sorry I can't say that. FF3 opens pages a lot faster
    >> than FF2, and others are seeing that, too. Are you using
    >> the same profile for FF3 as you did for FF2? If so, then try
    >> using a new profile and see what happens.
    >>
    >> --
    >> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!
    >>
    >> Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public
    >>
    >> Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I realize that the consensus is that FF3 is faster than the previous
    > versions, I did not mean to say or imply that. I just know that
    > something is wrong with my installation and I can not figure out what
    > is wrong.
    >
    > How do I go about creating a new profile?? My first thought was to
    > delete the current one - which seems to be the one that I had before -
    > but needed guidance before doing that.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run,
    and enter:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will start the FF profile manager. Create a test
    profile there. Does the problem continue in that?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 1, 2008
  6. Justin wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:27:47 -0700]:
    >> Justin wrote:

    >>> I have noticed FF3 be a little slower. My question is this though,
    >>> what's the effing point of having profiles that you spend months
    >>> customising if the default answer to every problem is "sorry, start
    >>> again".

    >> because profiles can become corrupt with a bad extension or
    >> something.

    > That's just as ridiculous as Dell or HP or whoever having the only way
    > to help you be to reformat your HD and setup windows the way it shipped
    > from the factory, completely un-friendly to the people who need the help
    > the most.

    then do you know of a better way to solve various problems?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 1, 2008
  7. Justin wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote on [Tue, 01 Jul 2008 15:26:49 -0400]:
    >> Justin wrote:

    >>> Whether the problems are solved or not it doesn't help to lose all the
    >>> settings and whatever else you have in your primary profile.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't seen a tool to migrate profile data from one to another, does
    >>> one exist?

    >> I don't know of a tool, however it's really pretty easy:
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile
    >> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    >> http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/

    > So, you'd be copying a corrupt profile into a non-corrupt one, probably
    > causing the same issues to resurface?

    you still haven't answered my question: since you're an
    expert: do you know of a better way?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 1, 2008
  8. Justin wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:06:15 -0700]:
    >> Justin wrote:

    >>> So, you'd be copying a corrupt profile into a non-corrupt one, probably
    >>> causing the same issues to resurface?

    >> you still haven't answered my question: since you're an
    >> expert: do you know of a better way?

    > Did I say I was an expert? No, you assumed I was.
    >
    > I asked what's the point of having profiles if you lose the
    > customisations as the FIRST THING when trying to solve an issue?

    again, you fail to answer my question. You keep dancing
    around it, but no answer: do you know of a better way?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 1, 2008
  9. Justin wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:16:15 -0700]:
    >> Justin wrote:

    >>> Did I say I was an expert? No, you assumed I was.
    >>>
    >>> I asked what's the point of having profiles if you lose the
    >>> customisations as the FIRST THING when trying to solve an issue?

    >> again, you fail to answer my question. You keep dancing
    >> around it, but no answer: do you know of a better way?

    > Sure, disable all add-ons and enable one by one, for a start.

    Depends on the issue involved.

    SOME issues (not all) can be dealt with by using a new profile. Other
    issues can be dealt with by other means.

    In this specific situation, the problem MAY have been the profile, so it
    was SUGGESTED that you try a new profile as a test, to see if that was
    the case. If it WAS, then you could be directed to how to transfer data
    from one to the other.

    A profile becomes corrupt when data is written/added to a file that
    shouldn't be there. So, as you transfer data from one profile to the new
    one, you simply stop and see if the problem appears in the new after
    transfering over, say the bookmarks.

    And disabling all the add-ons is usually covered by the use safe mode
    test. Safe mode in Firefox disables all the add-ons so you can test
    using that, instead of manually disabling each add-on. If it does work
    (the problem goes away) in safe mode, that indicates it is an
    extension/add-on situation and you would not be told to change to a new
    profile.

    In any case, the instruction given here was to try a new profile (as a
    TEST). I see nothing wrong with that as a means of fault finding. If a
    NEW profile did clear up the problem, then yes, it could be assumed it
    was a profile situation. If it didn't, well, then it can be assumed it
    ISN'T a profile situation.

    You were asked to test, but instead you engaged in this diatribe about
    it being the first thing, and you were not even asked to change your
    current profile, but simply to TEST to see if it was a profile situation
    in the first place.
    Moz Champion (Dan), Jul 2, 2008
  10. steve281499

    steve281499 Guest

    On Jun 30, 11:27 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:
    > steve281499 wrote:
    > > On Jun 30, 9:20 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > > <> wrote:
    > >>>
    > >> nope, sorry I can't say that.  FF3 opens pages a lot faster
    > >> than FF2, and others are seeing that, too.  Are you using
    > >> the same profile for FF3 as you did for FF2? If so, then try
    > >> using a new profile and see what happens.

    > >> --
    > >> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

    > >> Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    > >> Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    > > Thanks for the reply.

    > > I realize that the consensus is that FF3 is faster than the previous
    > > versions, I did not mean to say or imply that. I just know that
    > > something is wrong with my installation and I can not figure out what
    > > is wrong.

    > > How do I go about creating a new profile?? My first thought was to
    > > delete the current one - which seems to be the one that I had before -
    > > but needed guidance before doing that.

    > > Thanks!

    > > Steve

    > close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run,
    > and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -p
    >
    > this will start the FF profile manager.  Create a test
    > profile there.  Does the problem continue in that?
    >
    > --
    > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!
    >
    > Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Thanks for the guidance Peter! I admit to not having much knowledge
    about the "inner workings" of Firefox.

    I created a new profile and the speed was really improved. I then went
    back to the "original 3.0 version" and checked the add-ons. Several I
    had added when I went from 2.14 to 3.0. I removed all of them and the
    speed really improved.

    Thanks for your help!

    Steve
    steve281499, Jul 3, 2008