FireFox 3 Rocks (I think)

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by yogi22, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. yogi22

    yogi22 Guest

    As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
    recent blog entry.
    "the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
    than Firefox 2"

    <http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>

    It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
    advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
    version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.

    FAST! FAST! FAST! Sorry, but I had to shout, as I am so excited! Tabs
    loaded from a Google search seem to load instantly. I think this has
    something to do with "prefetching", a practice that some geeks
    disapprove of. Any thoughts on this forum?

    I have experienced some difficulty with some extensions, but I will be
    using FF3 quite often to see if I can work around. Apparently, the
    final version will be out in June, but LifeHacker says, and I think I
    agree, "Don't wait until then!"

    BTW, Harry McCracken's PCWorld blog says, " Firefox: On Its Way to Web
    Domination?"
    <http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006535.html>
    kk

    yogi22, Apr 7, 2008

  2. yogi22 wrote:
    > As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
    > recent blog entry.
    > "the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
    > than Firefox 2"
    >
    > <http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>
    >
    > It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
    > advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
    > version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.

    FF 3 is not ready for prime time. In the first couple of
    lines it says: "Mozilla says its for testing purposes only."
    Therefore, its still being developed and tested on. So,
    what you have today, may change tomorrow.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 7, 2008

  3. yogi22 wrote:
    > As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
    > recent blog entry.
    > "the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
    > than Firefox 2"
    >
    > <http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>
    >
    > It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
    > advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
    > version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.
    >
    > FAST! FAST! FAST! Sorry, but I had to shout, as I am so excited! Tabs
    > loaded from a Google search seem to load instantly. I think this has
    > something to do with "prefetching", a practice that some geeks
    > disapprove of. Any thoughts on this forum?
    >
    > I have experienced some difficulty with some extensions, but I will be
    > using FF3 quite often to see if I can work around. Apparently, the
    > final version will be out in June, but LifeHacker says, and I think I
    > agree, "Don't wait until then!"
    >
    > BTW, Harry McCracken's PCWorld blog says, " Firefox: On Its Way to Web
    > Domination?"
    > <http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006535.html>
    > kk

    Extension support with a new release, particularly one in beta, will
    always lag behind.

    Even once it does reach release status, if there are extensions that are
    important to you, its usually best to wait, say two weeks, before
    installing the new version, to allow the extension writers to catch up.

    From what I hear, this will likely be the final beta, , but there will
    be a round of release candidates to come. C hanges are still likely
    before a true release is made.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 8, 2008
  4. yogi22

    yogi22 Guest

    On Apr 7, 8:04 pm, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    > yogi22 wrote:
    > > As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
    > > recent blog entry.
    > > "the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
    > > than Firefox 2"

    > > <http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>

    > > It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
    > > advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
    > > version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.

    > > FAST! FAST! FAST! Sorry, but I had to shout, as I am so excited! Tabs
    > > loaded from a Google search seem to load instantly. I think this has
    > > something to do with "prefetching", a practice that some geeks
    > > disapprove of. Any thoughts on this forum?

    > > I have experienced some difficulty with some extensions, but I will be
    > > using FF3 quite often to see if I can work around. Apparently, the
    > > final version will be out in June, but LifeHacker says, and I think I
    > > agree, "Don't wait until then!"

    > > BTW, Harry McCracken's PCWorld blog says, " Firefox: On Its Way to Web
    > > Domination?"
    > > <http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006535.html>
    > > kk

    > Extension support with a new release, particularly one in beta, will
    > always lag behind.
    >
    > Even once it does reach release status, if there are extensions that are
    > important to you, its usually best to wait, say two weeks, before
    > installing the new version, to allow the extension writers to catch up.
    >
    > From what I hear, this will likely be the final beta, , but there will
    > be a round of release candidates to come. Changes are still likely
    > before a true release is made.
    >
    > Lee

    Both these and Peter's points are well taken, and I was aware of them.
    This is why I "installed" the portable version. This way, I can play
    around with the new version without risking problems with my FF2 which
    is tweaked just the way I like it. The LifeHacker article and its
    links explain how to "install" the portable version, and how to have
    most of the extensions work, despite not having been certified for
    FF3.

    I recommend that any FF fans with time on their hands (retirement is
    great) should test FF3. I think they would like it, especially the
    speed. Installing the portable version means one can still play with
    the program, without affecting their normal surfing.
    kk

    yogi22, Apr 8, 2008
  5. yogi22 wrote:
    > On Apr 7, 8:04 pm, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >> yogi22 wrote:
    >>> As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
    >>> recent blog entry.
    >>> "the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
    >>> than Firefox 2"
    >>> <http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>
    >>> It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
    >>> advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
    >>> version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.
    >>> FAST! FAST! FAST! Sorry, but I had to shout, as I am so excited! Tabs
    >>> loaded from a Google search seem to load instantly. I think this has
    >>> something to do with "prefetching", a practice that some geeks
    >>> disapprove of. Any thoughts on this forum?
    >>> I have experienced some difficulty with some extensions, but I will be
    >>> using FF3 quite often to see if I can work around. Apparently, the
    >>> final version will be out in June, but LifeHacker says, and I think I
    >>> agree, "Don't wait until then!"
    >>> BTW, Harry McCracken's PCWorld blog says, " Firefox: On Its Way to Web
    >>> Domination?"
    >>> <http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006535.html>
    >>> kk

    >> Extension support with a new release, particularly one in beta, will
    >> always lag behind.
    >>
    >> Even once it does reach release status, if there are extensions that are
    >> important to you, its usually best to wait, say two weeks, before
    >> installing the new version, to allow the extension writers to catch up.
    >>
    >> From what I hear, this will likely be the final beta, , but there will
    >> be a round of release candidates to come. Changes are still likely
    >> before a true release is made.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Both these and Peter's points are well taken, and I was aware of them.
    > This is why I "installed" the portable version. This way, I can play
    > around with the new version without risking problems with my FF2 which
    > is tweaked just the way I like it. The LifeHacker article and its
    > links explain how to "install" the portable version, and how to have
    > most of the extensions work, despite not having been certified for
    > FF3.
    >
    > I recommend that any FF fans with time on their hands (retirement is
    > great) should test FF3. I think they would like it, especially the
    > speed. Installing the portable version means one can still play with
    > the program, without affecting their normal surfing.
    > kk

    I have tried it. I install it on my hard drive, with a clean profile.

    I don't notice any significant difference in speed though.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 8, 2008
  6. yogi22

    History Fan Guest

    I'm curious to see if FF3 lives up to the hype regarding improvements
    in memory leakage.

    History Fan, Apr 8, 2008