    Slitheen.
    A call for the immediate resignation of Sepp Blatter, President of FIFA.
    http://petitiononline.com/blatter1/petition.html

    Slitheen, Jul 13, 2008

  2. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    wrote in message news:g5ddjq$535$...
    > Slitheen wrote:
    >> I rolled back to Firefox 2.0.0.15 from version 3 (for valid reasons that
    >> are too boring, and unimportant to this problem, to go into). Since then,
    >> any new bookmarks I create do not store the 'favicons' (fancy bookmark
    >> icons). Can anyone tell me how to sort this problem out? Thanks.

    > in the address bar, type in about:config and look for these entries,
    > double click on them and put in the entry I have listed next to them:
    >
    > browser.chrome.favicons true
    > browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2
    > browser.chrome.site_icons true

    It had two of those values already set correctly (1st and 3rd).....but the
    'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2' string doesn't exist. The only mention
    of toolbar in the 'browser.chrome' strings is 'browser.chrome.toolbar_style
    2'

    Thanks.

    Slitheen, Jul 13, 2008

  3. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    I should add....favicons appear in the address bar, but if I add a bookmark
    with a favicon, they won't appear in my bookmarks. Basically the only
    favicons I have are from before I rolled back.

    Slitheen, Jul 13, 2008
  4. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > Slitheen wrote:
    >> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> in the address bar, type in about:config and look for these entries,
    >>> double click on them and put in the entry I have listed next to them:
    >>>
    >>> browser.chrome.favicons true
    >>> browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2
    >>> browser.chrome.site_icons true
    >>>

    >> It had two of those values already set correctly (1st and 3rd).....but
    >> the 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2' string doesn't exist. The only
    >> mention of toolbar in the 'browser.chrome' strings is
    >> 'browser.chrome.toolbar_style 2'

    > If it doesn't exist, create it. Right click on the list of settings and
    > choose New - Integer.

    No....I'm afraid that doesn't work....even after a restart of Firefox.

    Slitheen, Jul 13, 2008
  5. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    I've just thought of something that might be relevant in helping me with
    this issue. When I uninstalled Firefox 3, and re-installed Firefox 2, the
    bookmarks I've added since I updated to 3 were missing. All the bookmarks
    were 3 weeks old...it is exactly 3 weeks since I went to Firefox 3. I have a
    feeling this is relevant, somehow. As this shouldn't happen....should it? :/

    Thanks for your continued assistance, it is appreciated.

    Slitheen, Jul 13, 2008
  6. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > Slitheen wrote:
    >> "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message

    >>> If it doesn't exist, create it. Right click on the list of settings and
    >>> choose New - Integer.
    >>>

    >> No....I'm afraid that doesn't work....even after a restart of Firefox.

    > Hmm. I don't use FF regularly but in FF2 only /some/ of the favicons are
    > showing up in the bookmarks. They all show in the tab and location bar.
    > Odd.

    Now then, I just completely re-started my PC after your advice on creating
    the string 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2', and now if I add a
    bookmark, the favicon is still not there...BUT the next time I click the
    bookmark, it creates the favicon. It never did this before.....so your
    advice worked. I don't know if this is the way they are supposed to work,
    but it has solved the issue nonetheless.

    My gratitude to you, sir. And for you, too, Peter Potamus. :)

    Slitheen, Jul 13, 2008
  7. Slitheen wrote:
    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    >> Slitheen wrote:
    >>> "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message

    >>> No....I'm afraid that doesn't work....even after a restart of Firefox.

    >> Hmm. I don't use FF regularly but in FF2 only /some/ of the favicons are
    >> showing up in the bookmarks. They all show in the tab and location bar.
    >> Odd.
    >>

    > Now then, I just completely re-started my PC after your advice on creating
    > the string 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2', and now if I add a
    > bookmark, the favicon is still not there...BUT the next time I click the
    > bookmark, it creates the favicon. It never did this before.....so your
    > advice worked. I don't know if this is the way they are supposed to work,
    > but it has solved the issue nonetheless.
    >
    > My gratitude to you, sir. And for you, too, Peter Potamus. :)

    yes, that is the way they work. You have to "set" the
    favicon. In older versions of FF, this wasn't so.
    They just show up because they were stored in the
    cache. But in FF2, they're stored elsewhere. And in
    FF3, its a whole new ball game and lets just forget
    about that.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 13, 2008
  8. Slitheen wrote:
    > I've just thought of something that might be relevant in helping me with
    > this issue. When I uninstalled Firefox 3, and re-installed Firefox 2, the
    > bookmarks I've added since I updated to 3 were missing. All the bookmarks
    > were 3 weeks old...it is exactly 3 weeks since I went to Firefox 3. I have a
    > feeling this is relevant, somehow. As this shouldn't happen....should it? :/
    >
    > Thanks for your continued assistance, it is appreciated.

    FF3 keeps their bookmarks in a file called
    places.sqlite, and FF2 keeps them in bookmarks.html.
    Places.sqlite is not compatible in FF2. This has
    caused all sorts of problems for people.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 13, 2008
  9. Slitheen

    wrote in message news:g5dtuv$oa$...
    > Slitheen wrote:
    >> "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hmm. I don't use FF regularly but in FF2 only /some/ of the favicons
    >>> are showing up in the bookmarks. They all show in the tab and location
    >>> bar. Odd.
    >>>

    >> Now then, I just completely re-started my PC after your advice on
    >> creating the string 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2', and now if I
    >> add a bookmark, the favicon is still not there...BUT the next time I
    >> click the bookmark, it creates the favicon. It never did this
    >> before.....so your advice worked. I don't know if this is the way they
    >> are supposed to work, but it has solved the issue nonetheless.
    >>
    >> My gratitude to you, sir. And for you, too, Peter Potamus. :)

    > yes, that is the way they work. You have to "set" the favicon. In older
    > versions of FF, this wasn't so. They just show up because they were stored
    > in the cache.

    I see.

    Yes, it was a curious problem - I've been adding bookmarks and revisiting
    sites from those bookmarks for two days (since I rolled back), and getting
    no new favicons appearing at all, but since I added that missing
    string....they now work (correctly too, according to your good self). That's
    all that matters, I guess. Though I do wonder why the string was missing
    from a clean install.

    Thanks again.

    Slitheen, Jul 14, 2008
  10. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Slitheen wrote:
    >>> "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Now then, I just completely re-started my PC after your advice on
    >>> creating the string 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2', and now if
    >>> I add a bookmark, the favicon is still not there...BUT the next time
    >>> I click the bookmark, it creates the favicon. It never did this
    >>> before.....so your advice worked. I don't know if this is the way
    >>> they are supposed to work, but it has solved the issue nonetheless.
    >>>
    >>> My gratitude to you, sir. And for you, too, Peter Potamus. :)

    >> yes, that is the way they work. You have to "set" the favicon. In
    >> older versions of FF, this wasn't so. They just show up because they
    >> were stored in the cache. But in FF2, they're stored elsewhere. And
    >> in FF3, its a whole new ball game and lets just forget about that.
    >>

    > It is still odd because that is NOT the way my SeaMonkey works. If I
    > open a folder in my bookmarks the favicons (if there are any) populate
    > as fast as my 10 Mb/s cable feed can get them. Which is PDQ.
    >
    > I /think/ this may have something to do with the cache settings in FF
    > but I haven't been able to reliably document and reproduce it.

    this is the way FF bookmarks used to work. The favicon
    was stored within the cache. Since FF2, they've been
    stored within the bookmark file [as I understood it].

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 14, 2008
  11. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> It is still odd because that is NOT the way my SeaMonkey works. If I
    >>> open a folder in my bookmarks the favicons (if there are any)
    >>> populate as fast as my 10 Mb/s cable feed can get them. Which is PDQ.
    >>>
    >>> I /think/ this may have something to do with the cache settings in FF
    >>> but I haven't been able to reliably document and reproduce it.
    >>>

    >> this is the way FF bookmarks used to work. The favicon was stored
    >> within the cache. Since FF2, they've been stored within the bookmark
    >> file [as I understood it].
    >>

    > The links to the favicons are stored in the HTML bookmarks file in FF2.
    > Not sure what the program logic is for updating them.
    >
    > If they are stored in and refreshed from the cache that's a problem if,
    > like me, my cache is automatically cleared on shut down.

    as I said, FF2 favicons are stored in the bookmark
    file, while SMs are stored within the cache. FF1 had
    them stored within the cache, too.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 14, 2008
  12. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> The links to the favicons are stored in the HTML bookmarks file in
    >>> FF2. Not sure what the program logic is for updating them.
    >>>
    >>> If they are stored in and refreshed from the cache that's a problem
    >>> if, like me, my cache is automatically cleared on shut down.
    >>>

    >> as I said, FF2 favicons are stored in the bookmark file, while SMs are
    >> stored within the cache. FF1 had them stored within the cache, too.
    >>

    > The actual images are /not/ stored in bookmarks.html. The "links" to
    > the image online are what is stored in the bookmarks file. The question
    > is how are they updated? I've clicked on numerous bookmarks that have
    > favicons and FF2 is still not showing them in the bookmark despite all
    > the prefs being (seemingly) set properly.

    then go and ask in the ff support group.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 14, 2008
  13. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> as I said, FF2 favicons are stored in the bookmark file, while SMs
    >>> are stored within the cache. FF1 had them stored within the cache, too.
    >>>

    >> The actual images are /not/ stored in bookmarks.html. The "links" to
    >> the image online are what is stored in the bookmarks file. The
    >> question is how are they updated? I've clicked on numerous bookmarks
    >> that have favicons and FF2 is still not showing them in the bookmark
    >> despite all the prefs being (seemingly) set properly.
    >>

    > then go and ask in the ff support group.

    I've done some investigating and found that the
    favicons for FF2 ARE stored within the cache.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 15, 2008