    --
    Chuck

    To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    Chuck, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Chuck wrote:
    > Anyone else having trouble installing the Wikipedia search engine for
    > Firefox 1.5? It just adds a blank line to the drop down. If you look at
    > the wikipedia.src file, it contains only one line and it says:
    >
    > "Access denied for user: 'petejc@localhost' (Using password: NO)"

    Yep, same here.

    Some things have been changed about the search
    plugins, as they are no longer stored in the
    search plugin folder, but are newly stored in
    the profile folder.

    I'm still trying to figure out what to do about
    is, but seems to be a bug and I guess we'll have
    to wait for an update of FF 1.5
    Dustyfan nieuws, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Dustyfan nieuws wrote:
    > Chuck wrote:
    >> Anyone else having trouble installing the Wikipedia search engine for
    >> Firefox 1.5? It just adds a blank line to the drop down. If you look at
    >> the wikipedia.src file, it contains only one line and it says:
    >>
    >> "Access denied for user: 'petejc@localhost' (Using password: NO)"
    >>

    > Yep, same here.
    >
    > Some things have been changed about the search plugins, as they are no
    > longer stored in the search plugin folder, but are newly stored in the
    > profile folder.
    >
    > I'm still trying to figure out what to do about is, but seems to be a
    > bug and I guess we'll have to wait for an update of FF 1.5

    I don't think its an FF bug. I tried dropping down the list from the
    search bar, and selected "Add Engines".

    Trying to add Wikipedia from that link did not work. Adding Ask Jeeves
    did. I also added IMDB. I suspect something amiss at:

    https://addons.mozilla.org/search-engines.php

    Have you tried here?

    http://mycroft.mozdev.org/quick/wikipedia.html

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Dustyfan nieuws wrote:
    >> Chuck wrote:
    >>> Anyone else having trouble installing the Wikipedia search engine for
    >>> Firefox 1.5? It just adds a blank line to the drop down. If you look at
    >>> the wikipedia.src file, it contains only one line and it says:
    >>>
    >>> "Access denied for user: 'petejc@localhost' (Using password: NO)"
    >>>

    >> Yep, same here.
    >>
    >> Some things have been changed about the search plugins, as they are no
    >> longer stored in the search plugin folder, but are newly stored in the
    >> profile folder.
    >>
    >> I'm still trying to figure out what to do about is, but seems to be a
    >> bug and I guess we'll have to wait for an update of FF 1.5

    > I don't think its an FF bug. I tried dropping down the list from the
    > search bar, and selected "Add Engines".
    >
    > Trying to add Wikipedia from that link did not work. Adding Ask Jeeves
    > did. I also added IMDB. I suspect something amiss at:
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/search-engines.php
    >
    > Have you tried here?
    >
    > http://mycroft.mozdev.org/quick/wikipedia.html
    >
    > Lee

    Yes I tried both links. The first one gives the
    top10 most popular engines and they work just fine.
    But the second link, that page is messed up.
    When I open it I do not get the usual list of
    thousands of engines, but only some web-builders
    lines. But most of the I cannot even get on the
    page, the only thing I get is:

    * The site could be temporarily
    unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

    * If you are unable to load any pages,
    check your computer's network
    connection.

    * If your computer or network is
    protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access
    the Web.

    At chat channel #firefox, people told me the
    page was overhosted.
    Dustyfan nieuws, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Chuck

    Guest

    , Dec 1, 2005
  6. Dustyfan nieuws wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Dustyfan nieuws wrote:

    >>> Yep, same here.
    >>>
    >>> Some things have been changed about the search plugins, as they are
    >>> no longer stored in the search plugin folder, but are newly stored in
    >>> the profile folder.
    >>>
    >>> I'm still trying to figure out what to do about is, but seems to be a
    >>> bug and I guess we'll have to wait for an update of FF 1.5

    >> I don't think its an FF bug. I tried dropping down the list from the
    >> search bar, and selected "Add Engines".
    >>
    >> Trying to add Wikipedia from that link did not work. Adding Ask
    >> Jeeves did. I also added IMDB. I suspect something amiss at:
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/search-engines.php
    >>
    >> Have you tried here?
    >>
    >> http://mycroft.mozdev.org/quick/wikipedia.html
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Yes I tried both links. The first one gives the top10 most popular
    > engines and they work just fine.
    > But the second link, that page is messed up. When I open it I do not get
    > the usual list of thousands of engines, but only some web-builders
    > lines. But most of the I cannot even get on the page, the only thing I
    > get is:
    >
    > * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again
    > in a few
    > moments.
    >
    > * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    > connection.
    >
    > * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
    > make sure
    > that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    >

    > At chat channel #firefox, people told me the page was overhosted.

    Yes Mozdev has been down all day. It was up last night but very slow.
    Try again off peak.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  7. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Dustyfan nieuws wrote:

    >>> I don't think its an FF bug. I tried dropping down the list from the
    >>> search bar, and selected "Add Engines".
    >>>
    >>> Trying to add Wikipedia from that link did not work. Adding Ask
    >>> Jeeves did. I also added IMDB. I suspect something amiss at:
    >>>
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/search-engines.php
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried here?
    >>>
    >>> http://mycroft.mozdev.org/quick/wikipedia.html
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Yes I tried both links. The first one gives the top10 most popular
    >> engines and they work just fine.
    >> But the second link, that page is messed up. When I open it I do not
    >> get the usual list of thousands of engines, but only some web-builders
    >> lines. But most of the I cannot even get on the page, the only thing I
    >> get is:
    >>
    >> * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
    >> again in a few
    >> moments.
    >>
    >> * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
    >> network
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or
    >> proxy, make sure
    >> that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    >>

    >> At chat channel #firefox, people told me the page was overhosted.

    > Yes Mozdev has been down all day. It was up last night but very slow.
    > Try again off peak.
    >
    > Lee

    Off peak, yep... which peak do you speak about?
    The US peak, the Europe peak or the Asian peak ;-)

    Paula
    Dustyfan nieuws, Dec 1, 2005
  8. Dustyfan nieuws wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Dustyfan nieuws wrote:

    >>> Yes I tried both links. The first one gives the top10 most popular
    >>> engines and they work just fine.
    >>> But the second link, that page is messed up. When I open it I do not
    >>> get the usual list of thousands of engines, but only some
    >>> web-builders lines. But most of the I cannot even get on the page,
    >>> the only thing I get is:
    >>>
    >>> * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
    >>> again in a few
    >>> moments.
    >>>
    >>> * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
    >>> network
    >>> connection.
    >>>
    >>> * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or
    >>> proxy, make sure
    >>> that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    >>>

    >>> At chat channel #firefox, people told me the page was overhosted.

    >> Yes Mozdev has been down all day. It was up last night but very slow.
    >> Try again off peak.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Off peak, yep... which peak do you speak about? The US peak, the Europe
    > peak or the Asian peak ;-)
    >
    > Paula

    US peak.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  9. Chuck

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Dustyfan nieuws wrote:

    >>>Yes Mozdev has been down all day. It was up last night but very slow.
    >>>Try again off peak.
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >>Off peak, yep... which peak do you speak about? The US peak, the Europe
    >>peak or the Asian peak ;-)
    >>
    >>Paula

    > US peak.
    >
    > Lee

    Its up and running as I write this. But for how long I do not know.
    gwtc, Dec 1, 2005
  10. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Dustyfan nieuws wrote:

    >>> Yes Mozdev has been down all day. It was up last night but very
    >>> slow. Try again off peak.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Off peak, yep... which peak do you speak about? The US peak, the
    >> Europe peak or the Asian peak ;-)
    >>
    >> Paula

    > US peak.
    >
    > Lee

    LOL, thanks :) I'm in Europe...

    Paula
    Dustyfan nieuws, Dec 1, 2005
  11. Chuck

    Guest

    , Dec 2, 2005
  12. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    wrote:
    > Here are instructions for fixing the Wikipedia search plugin:
    > http://prasanthr.net/wikisearch.html

    Actually I was finally able to get it to install from the "Add Engines"
    option of the drop down. I had to do it several times but it eventually
    worked.
    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    Chuck, Dec 2, 2005
  13. On 2005-12-01, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    > Dustyfan nieuws wrote:
    >> Chuck wrote:
    >>> Anyone else having trouble installing the Wikipedia search engine for
    >>> Firefox 1.5? It just adds a blank line to the drop down. If you look at
    >>> the wikipedia.src file, it contains only one line and it says:
    >>>
    >>> "Access denied for user: 'petejc@localhost' (Using password: NO)"

    >> Yep, same here.
    >>
    >> Some things have been changed about the search plugins, as they are no
    >> longer stored in the search plugin folder, but are newly stored in the
    >> profile folder.
    >>
    >> I'm still trying to figure out what to do about is, but seems to be a
    >> bug and I guess we'll have to wait for an update of FF 1.5

    > I don't think its an FF bug. I tried dropping down the list from the
    > search bar, and selected "Add Engines".
    >
    > Trying to add Wikipedia from that link did not work. Adding Ask Jeeves
    > did. I also added IMDB.

    I just copied my FF-1.0.7 searchplugins directory into the FF-1.5
    searchplugins directory and they all seem to work fine, including
    Wikipedia.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Dec 2, 2005