Firefox 1.5. Beta 2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    OK I know its been out for 5 days, but Im _always_ the last to hear about
    it.
    Ive downloaded the source direct from ftp.mozilla.org, (all 33MB of it)
    compiled the lot (was very simple.. create the .mozconfig file,
    ../configure && make, sudo make install)
    4 hours later (1.7 celeron with 256 DDR some of which is shared with
    video, also running pan which is a java resource hog, and boinc, although
    presumably this paused during compile, and running firefox as well)
    First Impressions.. its fast! :)
    Doesnt have a compatible InfoRSS though *genuine tears*
    NOIA (extreme) 2.0 is available though, my google toolbar has stayed (damn
    it looks nice!)Passes first test
    Second test: www.java.com: pass!
    Third test: www.nick.com (for the flash.. honest!): pass!

    I need some more tests :)
    any ideas?
    (Im still spitting tacks over no inforss though... thats my favourite app :'(

    :)

    Shane, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Shane

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > OK I know its been out for 5 days, but Im _always_ the last to hear about
    > it.
    > Ive downloaded the source direct from ftp.mozilla.org, (all 33MB of it)
    > compiled the lot (was very simple.. create the .mozconfig file,
    > ./configure && make, sudo make install)
    > 4 hours later (1.7 celeron with 256 DDR some of which is shared with
    > video, also running pan which is a java resource hog, and boinc, although
    > presumably this paused during compile, and running firefox as well)
    > First Impressions.. its fast! :)

    I'm running the Win32 binary, and it is faster than 1.0.7 and better wrt
    memory usage and leaks but Flock seems much faster.

    With the Win32 beta2 I have huge pauses when downloading files, but
    apart from that it seems pretty good. I still have to restart it every
    week or so, though.

    Of course, I've lost all my extensions, which might also be a factor in
    why 1.5b2 appears to be better.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Shane

    Rob J Guest

    In article <-a-geek.net>,
    -a-geek.net says...
    > OK I know its been out for 5 days, but Im _always_ the last to hear about
    > it.
    > Ive downloaded the source direct from ftp.mozilla.org, (all 33MB of it)
    > compiled the lot (was very simple.. create the .mozconfig file,
    > ./configure && make, sudo make install)
    > 4 hours later (1.7 celeron with 256 DDR some of which is shared with
    > video, also running pan which is a java resource hog, and boinc, although
    > presumably this paused during compile, and running firefox as well)
    > First Impressions.. its fast! :)
    > Doesnt have a compatible InfoRSS though *genuine tears*
    > NOIA (extreme) 2.0 is available though, my google toolbar has stayed (damn
    > it looks nice!)Passes first test
    > Second test: www.java.com: pass!
    > Third test: www.nick.com (for the flash.. honest!): pass!
    >
    > I need some more tests :)
    > any ideas?
    > (Im still spitting tacks over no inforss though... thats my favourite app :'(

    The later releases seem to have fixed their inability to render pages
    with banner adverts in them - about time too!

    I was not impressed with the excuses they gave for not fixing it.

    There are still a few damn things they should fix like not putting the
    URL into the address bar as soon as you open a page or tab.

    Rob J, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Shane

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:22:20 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > also running pan which is a java resource hog,

    Pan on my Linux box is not a Java programme.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
    will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

    Bling Bling, Oct 24, 2005
  5. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:41:55 +1300, Bling Bling wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:22:20 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> also running pan which is a java resource hog,

    > Pan on my Linux box is not a Java programme.
    >

    > Bling Bling

    what is it then?

    Shane, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Shane

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:07:03 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:41:55 +1300, Bling Bling wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:22:20 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >>
    >>> also running pan which is a java resource hog,

    >> Pan on my Linux box is not a Java programme.
    >>

    >> Bling Bling

    > what is it then?

    Pan, the newsreader, is a c program that uses GTK+.

    --
    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:39:57 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:07:03 +1300, Shane wrote:

    >>> Pan on my Linux box is not a Java programme.
    >>>

    >>> Bling Bling

    >> what is it then?

    > Pan, the newsreader, is a c program that uses GTK+.

    bah..its still slow :\
    mind you.. I prefer it to knode

    Shane, Oct 24, 2005
  8. Shane

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:39:57 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

    > >> what is it then?

    > > Pan, the newsreader, is a c program that uses GTK+.

    > bah..its still slow :\
    > mind you.. I prefer it to knode

    Look out for one of the CVS based builds as they have fixed a lot of
    the memory issues with PAN and large numbers of headers. About as
    stable as the "stable" releases, but much better performance wise.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Oct 25, 2005