    Rob J Guest

    Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or download
    linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

    Rob J, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Rob J

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:49:59 +1200, Rob J wrote:

    > Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or download
    > linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

    Which platform?

    It is a case of the thems having to fit themselves to Firefox, so when
    firefox changes it takes a wee while until the themes "catch up".

    Remember the themes are written by third parties.

    Gordon, Apr 23, 2005

  3. Rob J

    Impossible Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:49:59 +1200, Rob J wrote:
    >
    >> Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or
    >> download
    >> linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

    > Which platform?
    >
    > It is a case of the thems having to fit themselves to Firefox, so
    > when
    > firefox changes it takes a wee while until the themes "catch up".
    >
    > Remember the themes are written by third parties.

    Ah, freedom!

    Impossible, Apr 24, 2005
  4. Rob J

    Adam Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:49:59 +1200, Rob J wrote:

    >Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or download
    >linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

    Ahah! And I thought it was just me!

    I just reinstalled FF and was messing about with Themes and found the
    same problem.

    Oddly, once you've downloaded the .jar files, tried running locally
    (unsuccessfully), then tried the whole thing again from scratch, the
    usual "Themes/Extensions" pop-up window fires up and all seems OK from
    there on - with the once problematical themes installing fine.

    Something definitely not quite Kosher there - but it's still a far
    better browser (IMHO) than IE, once you have a few decent extensions
    added. I particularly like the Web Developer one - plus ColorZilla and
    TabBrowser.

    Adam (the one NOT in the UK!).

    Adam, Apr 25, 2005
  5. Rob J

    Thor Guest

    Adam wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:49:59 +1200, Rob J wrote:
    >
    >>Every time I try to install a theme from a locally saved or download
    >>linked jar file it says the file is corrupt/invalid. Why is this?

    > Ahah! And I thought it was just me!
    >
    > I just reinstalled FF and was messing about with Themes and found the
    > same problem.

    Themes are just eye-candy, seriousely what do they add to the webpage you
    are browsing.

    > Something definitely not quite Kosher there - but it's still a far
    > better browser (IMHO) than IE, once you have a few decent extensions
    > added. I particularly like the Web Developer one - plus ColorZilla and
    > TabBrowser.

    However in saying that there is a theme installer extention, my favorites
    are spoofstick and the gmail checker,

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~Thor

    Thor, Apr 25, 2005
  6. Rob J

    Adam Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:48:22 +1200, Thor wrote:

    >Adam wrote:

    >> I just reinstalled FF and was messing about with Themes and found the
    >> same problem.

    >Themes are just eye-candy, seriousely what do they add to the webpage you
    >are browsing.

    I quite agree (ie. *nothing* <g>) - but I spend a _lot_ of my working
    day in a browser. Some of the themes have either more legible icons,
    or simply more compact versions. Usability is an issue for me. Once
    decided on a theme, I tend to stick with it.

    For me, the ability to quickly view the page source and/or validate a
    page in a new *tab* far outweighs the dubious eye-candy of a theme.

    >However in saying that there is a theme installer extention, my favorites
    >are spoofstick and the gmail checker,

    Spoofstick looks good - but no workee on 1.03 <??>.

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 25, 2005
  7. Rob J

    Phstpok Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:48:22 +1200, Thor wrote:
    >

    >>Adam wrote:

    >>>I just reinstalled FF and was messing about with Themes and found the
    >>>same problem.

    >>Themes are just eye-candy, seriousely what do they add to the webpage you
    >>are browsing.

    > I quite agree (ie. *nothing* <g>) - but I spend a _lot_ of my working
    > day in a browser. Some of the themes have either more legible icons,
    > or simply more compact versions. Usability is an issue for me. Once
    > decided on a theme, I tend to stick with it.
    >
    > For me, the ability to quickly view the page source and/or validate a
    > page in a new *tab* far outweighs the dubious eye-candy of a theme.
    >

    >>However in saying that there is a theme installer extention, my favorites
    >>are spoofstick and the gmail checker,

    > Spoofstick looks good - but no workee on 1.03 <??>.
    >
    > Adam.

    Foxytunes and Autocopy are the only extensions that get used here.
    Great to be able to control media players from inside the browser,
    though it does take up a little real estate.

    Rob

    Phstpok, Apr 26, 2005
  8. Rob J

    rlj Guest

    Adam wrote:

    >>However in saying that there is a theme installer extention, my favorites
    >>are spoofstick and the gmail checker,

    > Spoofstick looks good - but no workee on 1.03 <??>.
    >
    > Adam.

    Spoofstick v1.05 works for me in FF1.03

    What was the problem?

    rlj