    siDetRaked
    since 1938
    sidetraked(at)bluebottle(dot)com

    siDetRaked, Sep 18, 2004

  2. siDetRaked

    First Last Guest

    siDetRaked wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. It worked fine for 2 days but
    > now it's not worth all the trouble. Whenever I close a link or screen
    > the program crashes. I can go online, check out a page and everything
    > is fine but when I close Firefox with the "x" it crashes and the
    > report a bug stuff comes up and then I have to deal with that. I
    > don't want too but it's back to IE.

    try a new profile, first.

    --
    Comedy, philosophy, my wish list, and alternative applications:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    First Last, Sep 18, 2004

  3. siDetRaked

    .brian. Guest

    On 9/18/2004 2:43 PM siDetRaked wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. It worked fine for 2 days but
    > now it's not worth all the trouble. Whenever I close a link or screen
    > the program crashes. I can go online, check out a page and everything
    > is fine but when I close Firefox with the "x" it crashes and the
    > report a bug stuff comes up and then I have to deal with that. I
    > don't want too but it's back to IE.

    Wow. You quit quickly! If IE is what you want to use, then by all
    means go for it. If you like the security flaws routinely found in IE,
    go for it! If you like using a non-compliant browser... go for it!

    Did you ever use old versions of Windows? What did you do when your
    computer locked up from a BSOD?

    There is obviously a reason for your *isolated* problem. It's not a
    wide-spread problem with Firefox (you don't see anyone else complaining
    about this do you?) So why don't you try and figure out the problem?

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    .brian., Sep 18, 2004
  4. siDetRaked

    siDetRaked Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:21:13 -0400, ".brian." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >about this do you?) So why don't you try and figure out the problem?

    Because I don't know how to do that stuff in computers. Unlike you I
    wasn't born with a keyboard in my hand. I wanted to run this by the
    group in case someone else had the problem and knew the fix. Why did
    you even bother to post your non helpful reply. Jerk.

    siDetRaked, Sep 19, 2004
  5. siDetRaked

    siDetRaked Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:59:32 GMT, First Last <>
    wrote:

    >try a new profile, first.

    Thanks First Last. I checked the help files but didn't see how to do
    this.

    siDetRaked, Sep 19, 2004
  6. siDetRaked

    siDetRaked Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:54:00 GMT, siDetRaked <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:59:32 GMT, First Last <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>try a new profile, first.

    >Thanks First Last. I checked the help files but didn't see how to do
    >this.

    I found the answer in one of your other posts. However, I don't have
    the "create profile button" in that folder. Thanks,

    siDetRaked, Sep 19, 2004
  7. "siDetRaked" <> wrote in message
    > I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. It worked fine for 2 days but
    > now it's not worth all the trouble. Whenever I close a link or screen
    > the program crashes. I can go online, check out a page and everything
    > is fine but when I close Firefox with the "x" it crashes and the
    > report a bug stuff comes up and then I have to deal with that. I
    > don't want too but it's back to IE.
    > --
    > siDetRaked
    > since 1938
    > sidetraked(at)bluebottle(dot)com

    I can't solve your problem. I learned long ago that with any free
    open-source software there is a debt owed to help debug it. It comes with
    the territory. Too many folks think they can just fire it up and voila, off
    they go. Everyone needs to understand that most if not all open-source
    stuff is beta all the time. But then again, so is all MS stuff;-)

    --
    Norm

    NoMoreMrNiceGuy, Sep 19, 2004
  8. siDetRaked

    First Last Guest

    siDetRaked wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:54:00 GMT, siDetRaked <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:59:32 GMT, First Last <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>try a new profile, first.

    >>Thanks First Last. I checked the help files but didn't see how to do
    >>this.

    > I found the answer in one of your other posts. However, I don't have
    > the "create profile button" in that folder. Thanks,

    okay, it's easy. just quit firefox, click start if you're using
    windows, and click run.
    enter "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p
    it should be easy to see how to create a new profile from there. use
    that new profile with firefox to see if it solves your problem. if it
    does, you can keep all of your old settings by closing firefox and
    moving these files
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Firefox_:_Tips_:_Backup from
    your old profile to your new profile. also, if you made a
    userChrome.css and userContent.css in your profile's chrome folder, then
    you'll want to move those, too. also, if you have the quicknote
    extension, and your quicknote1.txt files are in your profile/profile's
    chrome folder, then you'll want to move those and update your quicknote
    extension options.

    --
    Alternative applications, philosophy, comedy, and my wish list:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    First Last, Sep 19, 2004
  9. siDetRaked

    .brian. Guest

    (On 9/19/2004 4:36 AM) siDetRaked wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:21:13 -0400, ".brian." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >

    >>about this do you?) So why don't you try and figure out the problem?

    > Because I don't know how to do that stuff in computers. Unlike you I
    > wasn't born with a keyboard in my hand. I wanted to run this by the
    > group in case someone else had the problem and knew the fix. Why did
    > you even bother to post your non helpful reply. Jerk.

    Likewise. Why did you bother to reply nothing useful to my non-helpful
    reply? Amazing how hypocritical people are huh?

    But anyway... FYI I wasn't born with a keyboard in my hand, and I
    haven't always had a computer. But I'm not stupid, and I know how to
    actively look for solutions to my computer problems. I don't randomly
    find somewhere to complain about my problem and say I'm finished.

    You didn't come here and ask for help. What kind of reply did you
    expect? You posted your problem, said Firefox is "not worth all the
    trouble", and then stated it was off to IE for you. The end.

    If that's what you want to do, then by all means happy browsing. I hope
    you enjoy using IE... but if that were true, then why did you download
    Firefox in the first place?

    .brian., Sep 20, 2004
  10. siDetRaked

    WolfGang Guest

    I, for one, want to read posts like siDetRacked's because my problem is
    similar to his in some ways and I HAVE stuck it out and have been trying to
    fix it for months. The amount of time and effort I give it is irrelevant.
    Also I have it alongside of IE and you know what, I like IE and will
    probably keep it too. As to why I do this, as with why sidetracked does what
    he (or she) does, it's nobody's business to judge--either provide
    assistance, or ignore me, but don't disparage my character, as has been done
    with sidetracked, over it.
    Firefox is excellent when you first download and run it. It seems not
    unusual that at some point it will become corrupted to some extent. Yes it
    is beta. But beta or not there are a massive amount of "official" Mozilla
    help pages and forums that just never seem to have the answers even to the
    error/alerts messages that they themselves designed into the programming and
    it is frustrating to sort through it. I am still wondering if it is worth
    the trouble.
    Ideally there would be a comprehensive troubleshooting bible that would say
    "If this happens, it is because of this and you need to fix it this way" in
    a logical chain of yes or no (yes, like MS, IE). When there is not, a few
    experts surface who like being experts, who would rather mete out help in
    dribbles rather than direct you to such a bible.

    This forum is as valuable as a place to lurk as anything, because I have
    come closer to solving my firefox problem through lurking and reading the
    questions more often than the answers. I do not like to see an OP put down
    for any reason. If I, or sidetracked, decide Mozilla sucks and is not worth
    it, so be it. Right now it sucks because it is not stable and is all over
    the place.
    Wolfgang

    > I downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. It worked fine for 2 days but
    > now it's not worth all the trouble. Whenever I close a and everything
    > is fine but when I close Firefox with the "x" it crashes and thelink or

    screen
    > the program crashes. I can go online, check out a page
    > report a bug stuff comes up and then I have to deal with that. I
    > don't want too but it's back to IE.
    > --
    > siDetRaked
    > since 1938
    > sidetraked(at)bluebottle(dot)com

    ---

    WolfGang, Sep 20, 2004
  11. (On 9/20/2004 11:35 AM) WolfGang wrote:
    > I, for one, want to read posts like siDetRacked's because my problem is
    > similar to his in some ways and I HAVE stuck it out and have been trying to
    > fix it for months. The amount of time and effort I give it is irrelevant.
    > Also I have it alongside of IE and you know what, I like IE and will
    > probably keep it too. As to why I do this, as with why sidetracked does what
    > he (or she) does, it's nobody's business to judge--either provide
    > assistance, or ignore me, but don't disparage my character, as has been done
    > with sidetracked, over it.

    Months huh? That could put you back to version 0.9.1 -- were you having
    problems before then, or is that when you first started using Firefox
    and have always had problems with it? Have you tried creating a new
    profile yet? If you are able to reproduce the problem, have you
    submitted any information to Mozilla?

    Try looking at this post...

    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=114566&highlight=alert url

    > Firefox is excellent when you first download and run it. It seems not
    > unusual that at some point it will become corrupted to some extent. Yes it
    > is beta. But beta or not there are a massive amount of "official" Mozilla
    > help pages and forums that just never seem to have the answers even to the
    > error/alerts messages that they themselves designed into the programming and
    > it is frustrating to sort through it. I am still wondering if it is worth
    > the trouble.

    That's a pretty bold statement. Until recently I've never experienced
    any sort of "corruption" with Mozilla, and I have been using Mozilla,
    Thunderbird, and Firefox/bird/phoenix for quite a while. The times I
    have had any problems it was operator error. Maybe it's just pure luck.
    I truly believe that majority of the problems people experience are
    caused from 1) something they did 2) there is something wrong with their
    computer/setup.

    > Ideally there would be a comprehensive troubleshooting bible that would say
    > "If this happens, it is because of this and you need to fix it this way" in
    > a logical chain of yes or no (yes, like MS, IE). When there is not, a few
    > experts surface who like being experts, who would rather mete out help in
    > dribbles rather than direct you to such a bible.

    There is very good information out there for you to read.

    > This forum is as valuable as a place to lurk as anything, because I have
    > come closer to solving my firefox problem through lurking and reading the
    > questions more often than the answers. I do not like to see an OP put down
    > for any reason.

    Noted. I don't want to see people bad mouthing Mozilla either... but I
    don't think that is going to happen any time soon. Welcome to Usenet.

    > If I, or sidetracked, decide Mozilla sucks and is not worth it, so be it.

    I agree. Use whatever you want to browse the web. I never said you
    must use Mozilla, or like it. Just don't come in here saying it causes
    all kinds of problems for people... just because you have problems.

    > Right now it sucks because it is not stable and is all over the place.
    > Wolfgang

    No shit!? <g> Well for a minute there I thought version .10PR was
    stable and *not* a 'preview release'. Who would have expected TB and FF
    to be unstable at times and have bugs. All this time I've been using
    'technology previews'?

    > ---

    Lucky for our computer security your plain-text post was scanned by
    AVG... the people in this newsgroup can now put their minds at ease.
    Another safe plain-text message!

    --
    Brian

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=2Ebr=EFan=2E=22?=, Sep 20, 2004
  12. siDetRaked

    stephen voss Guest

    siDetRaked wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:21:13 -0400, ".brian." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >

    >>about this do you?) So why don't you try and figure out the problem?

    > Because I don't know how to do that stuff in computers. Unlike you I
    > wasn't born with a keyboard in my hand. I wanted to run this by the
    > group in case someone else had the problem and knew the fix. Why did
    > you even bother to post your non helpful reply. Jerk.

    (Clap Clap Clap)

    While calling people jerks is not helpful either

    Let me state this for the record...

    Many of firefox'es 4 million USERS are not programmers NOR linux coders

    When some person with technical knowledge but limited social skills
    makes rude comments to someone asking for help with a program. The
    person insulted usually gives up and then tells his friends not to use
    it. Then the technical people wonder why things like linux havent taken
    off. techheads need to say "We have met the enemy and they are us"

    I would tell siDetRaked and Wolfgang if they having such problems with
    firefox to use Mozilla 1.73 instead until firefox matures. Firefox may
    be somewhat faster but Mozilla is more stable and feature-rich.

    Despite all firefox hype, it is still Betaware. It has been OVERSOLD
    as a mature product. Many are making the same mistake with firefox
    that Netscape made with Netscape 6.0(in marketing a beta product as a
    finished product).

    Firefox is a brillant product but its not a mature one.

    stephen voss, Oct 9, 2004