    same thing, just hangs.

    Any suggestions?
    studentX

    student X, Nov 22, 2004

  2. student X wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Not realizing that I have to clean it out on a regular basis(bummer),
    > now the thing is so full that I can't do anything with it - it just
    > hangs til I force quit in Task Manager. If I knew where the folder is
    > that holds this crap maybe I could delete them from there? I've looked
    > can't find it. I've tried cleaning from the Options menu item too, but
    > same thing, just hangs.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > studentX

    In your profile folder, its downloads.rdf. Try simply renaming it with
    FF closed, then open FF. A new downloads.rdf should be generated, and
    the Download Manager should be clear.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 22, 2004

  3. student X

    student X Guest

    Hi Lee,

    Nope, no such folder or file - downloads.rdf - lives in my FF profile
    folder - or my hard drive. (I'm on XP Pro SP 1 w/FF 1.0 should anyone
    be wondering.) There is something called "localstore.rdf" in the
    profile folder and I tried to do what you said on it but no dice.

    ???

    student X, Nov 22, 2004
  4. student X wrote:
    > Hi Lee,
    >
    > Nope, no such folder or file - downloads.rdf - lives in my FF profile
    > folder - or my hard drive. (I'm on XP Pro SP 1 w/FF 1.0 should anyone
    > be wondering.) There is something called "localstore.rdf" in the
    > profile folder and I tried to do what you said on it but no dice.
    >
    > ???
    >

    > In article <Ufpod.47942$>,
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >

    >>student X wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello All,
    >>>
    >>>Not realizing that I have to clean it out on a regular basis(bummer),
    >>>now the thing is so full that I can't do anything with it - it just
    >>>hangs til I force quit in Task Manager. If I knew where the folder is
    >>>that holds this crap maybe I could delete them from there? I've looked
    >>>can't find it. I've tried cleaning from the Options menu item too, but
    >>>same thing, just hangs.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions?
    >>>studentX

    >>In your profile folder, its downloads.rdf. Try simply renaming it with
    >>FF closed, then open FF. A new downloads.rdf should be generated, and
    >>the Download Manager should be clear.
    >>
    >>Lee

    localstore .rdf contains the setting for your window display in Firefox.
    I've looked in four profiles on two machine, XP and ME, and all have
    downloads.rdf, and that is where the download manager information is
    stored. If that file is really absent, I suppose this could be part of
    your problem. It is supposed to be there:

    http://gemal.dk/mozilla/files.html

    http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

    I suspect, if the file is not there, you may be looking at creating a
    new profile and transferring your data:

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 23, 2004
  5. student X

    student X Guest

    Good links. Thanks. So I went into the menu>>options again and realized
    that in addition to the "clear" button I had been pushing, there was a
    little + (plus) sign to the left. So I clicked on it and lo-and-behold,
    there were the options that I needed to change. So I told it to "clear
    on Mozilla exit" and quit the program. Now the effing thing won't even
    launch.

    MESSAGE TO FIREFOX PROGRAMERS: make"clear on Mozilla exit" the default
    setting in the download manager or I guarantee you're gonna have a
    whole lot of people with this very same problem very soon and it sure
    leaves a bad taste in ones mouth.

    Still struggling,
    studentX

    In article
    <7rvod.956576$>, Leonidas

    student X, Nov 23, 2004
  6. student X

    student X Guest

    Problem fixed!

    I simply went to bed and left FF to hang. Wnen I awoke the Download
    Manager was empty. So even though task manager was saying "FireFox not
    responding" it was in fact doing it's dirty clean-up work - it just
    took all night to complete.

    Never found the downloads.rdf folder. Don't care as long as it runs
    O.K. I've put the options to "Remove files from the Download Manager
    Upon sucessful download" because I really don't want anymore trouble
    with this thing and I really don't need to cache them anyway.

    Thanks for your help Lee.

    Others Beware of this.

    studentX

    student X, Nov 23, 2004
  7. student X

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth student X <> in news:231120040441072771%
    :

    > Others Beware of this.

    I've found the Download Manager Tweaks extension to be a great
    improvement over the defaults. Well worth installing.

    --
    George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

    Tom Betz, Nov 23, 2004