Firefox 1.0.2 Extensions Problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by John Coxon, Apr 16, 2005.

  1. John Coxon

    John Coxon Guest

    Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
    released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
    extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
    (1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
    and no extension appears.

    With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
    versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
    folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
    have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.

    One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
    working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
    Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
    people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it. :)

    Thanks.
    --
    John Coxon

    A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

    Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
    Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
    Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
    ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

    John Coxon, Apr 16, 2005

  2. John Coxon

    Doug G Guest

    John Coxon wrote:

    > Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
    > released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
    > extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
    > (1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
    > and no extension appears.
    >
    > With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
    > versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
    > folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
    > have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
    >
    > One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
    > working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
    > Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
    > people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it. :)
    >
    > Thanks.

    To install a downloaded extension, I use the browser's File > Open File
    or I drag the xpi file from Windows Explorer and drop it on the browser
    window.

    The only time I use the Extensions window to install an extension is
    when I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.

    Doug G, Apr 16, 2005

  3. John Coxon

    John Coxon Guest

    In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Doug G's voice said the
    following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
    low as to make a man weep:

    > John Coxon wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
    >>released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
    >>extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
    >>(1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
    >>and no extension appears.
    >>
    >>With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
    >>versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
    >>folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
    >>have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
    >>
    >>One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
    >>working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
    >>Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
    >>people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it. :)
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > To install a downloaded extension, I use the browser's File > Open File
    > or I drag the xpi file from Windows Explorer and drop it on the browser
    > window.
    >
    > The only time I use the Extensions window to install an extension is
    > when I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.

    Dragging the xpi just onto the browser window also does not work, and File >
    Open File doesn't either. Both make the "Install (2)... Install (1)...
    Install" window come up, both then load the Extensions window after I click
    "Install", and both don't show the extension or any sign that it's
    installing at all.

    Any other possible solutions?

    John Coxon, Apr 16, 2005
  4. John Coxon

    Doug G Guest

    John Coxon wrote:
    > In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Doug G's voice said the
    > following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
    > low as to make a man weep:
    >
    >> John Coxon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
    >>>released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
    >>>extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
    >>>(1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
    >>>and no extension appears.
    >>>
    >>>With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
    >>>versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
    >>>folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
    >>>have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
    >>>
    >>>One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
    >>>working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
    >>>Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
    >>>people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it. :)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.

    >> To install a downloaded extension, I use the browser's File > Open File
    >> or I drag the xpi file from Windows Explorer and drop it on the browser
    >> window.
    >>
    >> The only time I use the Extensions window to install an extension is
    >> when I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.

    > Dragging the xpi just onto the browser window also does not work, and File >
    > Open File doesn't either. Both make the "Install (2)... Install (1)...
    > Install" window come up, both then load the Extensions window after I click
    > "Install", and both don't show the extension or any sign that it's
    > installing at all.
    >
    > Any other possible solutions?

    Do you have Javascript enabled?

    Doug G, Apr 16, 2005
  5. John Coxon

    John Coxon Guest

    In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Doug G's voice said the
    following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
    low as to make a man weep:

    > John Coxon wrote:
    >
    >>In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Doug G's voice said the
    >>following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
    >>low as to make a man weep:

    >>>To install a downloaded extension, I use the browser's File > Open File
    >>>or I drag the xpi file from Windows Explorer and drop it on the browser
    >>>window.
    >>>
    >>>The only time I use the Extensions window to install an extension is
    >>>when I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.

    >>Dragging the xpi just onto the browser window also does not work, and File >
    >>Open File doesn't either. Both make the "Install (2)... Install (1)...
    >>Install" window come up, both then load the Extensions window after I click
    >>"Install", and both don't show the extension or any sign that it's
    >>installing at all.
    >>
    >>Any other possible solutions?

    > Do you have Javascript enabled?

    Yes (I'm assuming you mean the option in Web Features > Enable Javascript).

    John Coxon, Apr 16, 2005
  6. On 2005-04-16, John Coxon <> wrote:

    >>>Dragging the xpi just onto the browser window also does not work, and File >
    >>>Open File doesn't either. Both make the "Install (2)... Install (1)...
    >>>Install" window come up, both then load the Extensions window after I click
    >>>"Install", and both don't show the extension or any sign that it's
    >>>installing at all.
    >>>
    >>>Any other possible solutions?

    Do you have sotware updates eneabled in the Preferences...Advanced
    section?

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Apr 16, 2005
  7. John Coxon

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *John Coxon* wrote:
    > Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
    > released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
    > extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
    > (1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
    > and no extension appears.
    >
    > With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
    > versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
    > folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
    > have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
    >
    > One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
    > working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
    > Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
    > people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it. :)
    >
    > Thanks.

    To see the plugins you have, look at about:plugins
    When you install a new plugin it should be find there.

    Find more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com
    Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org

    --
    /Arne

    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.

    Arne, Apr 16, 2005
  8. On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:49:24 +0200, Arne wrote:

    > Once upon a time *John Coxon* wrote:
    >> Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
    >> released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
    >> extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
    >> (1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
    >> and no extension appears.
    >>
    >> With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
    >> versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
    >> folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
    >> have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
    >>
    >> One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
    >> working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
    >> Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
    >> people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it. :)

    I have the same problem. I tried to load and install extensions by using
    the automatic feature under Preferences/Advanced. The updates were
    downloaded but could not be installed. The reason given was: "Qute 3
    (Install script not found). I have extensions I loaded under ver 1.0 and
    1.0.1. Is there a cure for this problem?

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Apr 16, 2005
  9. John Coxon

    Big Will Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:49:24 +0200, Arne wrote:
    >

    >>Once upon a time *John Coxon* wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
    >>>released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
    >>>extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
    >>>(1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
    >>>and no extension appears.
    >>>
    >>>With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
    >>>versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
    >>>folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
    >>>have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
    >>>
    >>>One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
    >>>working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
    >>>Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
    >>>people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it. :)
    >>>

    > I have the same problem. I tried to load and install extensions by using
    > the automatic feature under Preferences/Advanced. The updates were
    > downloaded but could not be installed. The reason given was: "Qute 3
    > (Install script not found). I have extensions I loaded under ver 1.0 and
    > 1.0.1. Is there a cure for this problem?
    >
    > dj tuchler

    What extensions are you trying to load? Does it say that they're
    compatible with your release of FF? What happens when you try loading a
    plugin using a different profile (firefox.exe -p; on Windoze it's
    "c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p)?

    Regards,

    Will

    Big Will, Apr 16, 2005
  10. On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:48:06 -0700, Big Will wrote:

    >> I have the same problem. I tried to load and install extensions by using
    >> the automatic feature under Preferences/Advanced. The updates were
    >> downloaded but could not be installed. The reason given was: "Qute 3
    >> (Install script not found). I have extensions I loaded under ver 1.0 and
    >> 1.0.1. Is there a cure for this problem?
    >>
    >> dj tuchler

    > What extensions are you trying to load? Does it say that they're
    > compatible with your release of FF? What happens when you try loading a
    > plugin using a different profile (firefox.exe -p; on Windoze it's
    > "c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p)?

    I am operating under Linux (SuSE 9.2)

    I've tried to get two extensions: One enabling chat and
    one enabling multiple-file downloads. The only indication of why
    they can't be installed (they download fine, according to the download
    indicator) is that either a script is missing or they simply can't be
    installed.

    I haven't tried installing any plug-ins other than extensions.

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Apr 17, 2005
  11. John Coxon

    John Coxon Guest

    In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Arne's voice said the following,
    in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so low as to
    make a man weep:

    > Once upon a time *John Coxon* wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
    >>released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
    >>extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
    >>(1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
    >>and no extension appears.
    >>
    >>With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
    >>versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
    >>folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
    >>have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
    >>
    >>One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
    >>working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
    >>Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
    >>people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it. :)
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > To see the plugins you have, look at about:plugins
    > When you install a new plugin it should be find there.

    It won't let me install them, therefore they are not there. I looked when
    you posted. Nothing except a bunch of QuickTime plugins, Flash plugins et
    cetera which I suspect were there when I downloaded Firefox as I don't
    remember installing them.

    > Find more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com
    > Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org

    I think that you're mistaking my problem, as the help installing plug-ins
    webpage helped none at all. I don't want to know how to make Acrobat Reader
    or Windows Media Player work, I want to know how to install extensions -
    which I was able to do before 1.0 was released, and have been unable to do
    thus far.

    Extensions as in the .xpi files available from
    https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/ .

    John Coxon, Apr 17, 2005
  12. John Coxon

    John Coxon Guest

    In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, John Thompson's voice said the
    following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
    low as to make a man weep:

    > Do you have sotware updates eneabled in the Preferences...Advanced
    > section?

    I cannot find a preferences menu in Firefox. Where can I find it?

    John Coxon, Apr 17, 2005
  13. John Coxon

    John Coxon Guest

    In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, John Coxon's voice said the
    following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
    low as to make a man weep:

    > In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, John Thompson's voice said
    > the following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion
    > levels so low as to make a man weep:

    >> Do you have sotware updates eneabled in the Preferences...Advanced
    >> section?

    > I cannot find a preferences menu in Firefox. Where can I find it?

    Ah, I take it you mean options. I've located the Advanced section but I
    cannot find a way to enable software updates. I can find a way of
    automatically checking for them, but no way to enable them.

    John Coxon, Apr 17, 2005
  14. John Coxon

    Deputy Dog Guest

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:55:29 +0100, John Coxon wrote:

    >> Find more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com
    >> Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org

    > I think that you're mistaking my problem, as the help installing plug-ins
    > webpage helped none at all. I don't want to know how to make Acrobat Reader
    > or Windows Media Player work, I want to know how to install extensions -
    > which I was able to do before 1.0 was released, and have been unable to do
    > thus far.
    >
    > Extensions as in the .xpi files available from
    > https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/ .

    Tools/Options/Web Features/Allow web sites to install software

    Do you have this checked? It needs to be checked even if the extension is
    on your own computer.

    Billb
    --
    Reply To: works

    Deputy Dog, Apr 17, 2005
  15. John Coxon

    Big Will Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:48:06 -0700, Big Will wrote:
    >

    >>>I have the same problem. I tried to load and install extensions by using
    >>>the automatic feature under Preferences/Advanced. The updates were
    >>>downloaded but could not be installed. The reason given was: "Qute 3
    >>>(Install script not found). I have extensions I loaded under ver 1.0 and
    >>>1.0.1. Is there a cure for this problem?
    >>>
    >>>dj tuchler

    >>What extensions are you trying to load? Does it say that they're
    >>compatible with your release of FF? What happens when you try loading a
    >>plugin using a different profile (firefox.exe -p; on Windoze it's
    >>"c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p)?
    >>

    > I am operating under Linux (SuSE 9.2)
    >
    > I've tried to get two extensions: One enabling chat and
    > one enabling multiple-file downloads. The only indication of why
    > they can't be installed (they download fine, according to the download
    > indicator) is that either a script is missing or they simply can't be
    > installed.
    >
    > I haven't tried installing any plug-ins other than extensions.

    Follow the instructions at
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile to create a new profile.
    Then, see if it'll let you install extensions under the new one. If
    so, then there's some extension or theme in your old profile that's
    preventing you from installing the extensions you want/need. I had a
    similar problem when ff 1.0.1 was released and creating a new profile
    worked great for me.

    Big Will, Apr 17, 2005
  16. John Coxon

    John Coxon Guest

    In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Deputy Dog's voice said the
    following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
    low as to make a man weep:

    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:55:29 +0100, John Coxon wrote:
    >
    >>>Find more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com
    >>>Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org

    >>I think that you're mistaking my problem, as the help installing plug-ins
    >>webpage helped none at all. I don't want to know how to make Acrobat Reader
    >>or Windows Media Player work, I want to know how to install extensions -
    >>which I was able to do before 1.0 was released, and have been unable to do
    >>thus far.
    >>
    >>Extensions as in the .xpi files available from
    >>https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/ .

    > Tools/Options/Web Features/Allow web sites to install software
    >
    > Do you have this checked? It needs to be checked even if the extension is
    > on your own computer.

    Yes, it is checked, it was already checked when I looked at it to see. That
    can't be the problem.

    John Coxon, Apr 17, 2005
  17. On 2005-04-17, John Coxon <> wrote:

    >>>Extensions as in the .xpi files available from
    >>>https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/ .

    >> Tools/Options/Web Features/Allow web sites to install software
    >>
    >> Do you have this checked? It needs to be checked even if the extension is
    >> on your own computer.

    > Yes, it is checked, it was already checked when I looked at it to see. That
    > can't be the problem.

    Another thing to check if you're on linux is to make sure the permissions
    are set properly in your profile directory. You may want to do a "chown -R
    [username]:[groupname] ~/.mozilla/*" just to make sure.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Apr 17, 2005
  18. John Coxon

    John Coxon Guest

    In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, John Thompson's voice said the
    following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
    low as to make a man weep:

    >>>Tools/Options/Web Features/Allow web sites to install software
    >>>
    >>>Do you have this checked? It needs to be checked even if the extension is
    >>>on your own computer.

    >>Yes, it is checked, it was already checked when I looked at it to see. That
    >>can't be the problem.

    > Another thing to check if you're on linux is to make sure the permissions
    > are set properly in your profile directory. You may want to do a "chown -R
    > [username]:[groupname] ~/.mozilla/*" just to make sure.

    I stated in the original I was on Windows ME. So that won't help, sorry.

    John Coxon, Apr 18, 2005
  19. John Coxon

    vishwesh

    Joined: