    can only see "http:/" (as opposed to the site title). I find that
    distressing too. Other than that, it's wonderful ;)

    Thanks to anyone with any ideas.
    Curtis, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Curtis wrote:
    > I migrated from Mozilla to Firefox the other day. The problem I'm
    > having is that all the items in the taskbar have the microsoft windows
    > icon in them instead of the firefox icon. I find that ugly and
    > distressing. Does anybody know a fix?
    >
    > I've also noticed that when a site pops up a window, the title begins
    > with the URL. So when I'm trying to know which item in the taskbar to
    > click on to get a specific window, I can't tell what's what because i
    > can only see "http:/" (as opposed to the site title). I find that
    > distressing too. Other than that, it's wonderful ;)
    >
    > Thanks to anyone with any ideas.

    The first problem is most easily fixed by upgrading to XP. The problem
    you describe only occurs in 98 and ME.

    To solve it, you must create a folder in your program folder.

    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome\icons\default

    The last two must be created. In other words, place a folder named
    icons inside chrome, and a folder named default inside icons.

    In this folder place a windows icon file, named main-window.ico.

    Restart Firefox, and you should see this icon.

    Second problem, I suggest you use tabs instead of new windows.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Curtis wrote:
    >
    >> I migrated from Mozilla to Firefox the other day. The problem I'm
    >> having is that all the items in the taskbar have the microsoft windows
    >> icon in them instead of the firefox icon. I find that ugly and
    >> distressing. Does anybody know a fix?
    >>
    >> I've also noticed that when a site pops up a window, the title begins
    >> with the URL. So when I'm trying to know which item in the taskbar to
    >> click on to get a specific window, I can't tell what's what because i
    >> can only see "http:/" (as opposed to the site title). I find that
    >> distressing too. Other than that, it's wonderful ;)
    >>
    >> Thanks to anyone with any ideas.

    > The first problem is most easily fixed by upgrading to XP. The problem
    > you describe only occurs in 98 and ME.
    >
    > To solve it, you must create a folder in your program folder.
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome\icons\default
    >
    > The last two must be created. In other words, place a folder named
    > icons inside chrome, and a folder named default inside icons.
    >
    > In this folder place a windows icon file, named main-window.ico.
    >
    > Restart Firefox, and you should see this icon.
    >
    > Second problem, I suggest you use tabs instead of new windows.
    >
    > Lee

    Oh, and I do apologize , there is a free utility that will extract the
    icon file from the firefox.exe file:

    http://www.copseystrain.com/iconsucker/index.html

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Curtis

    Curtis Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > The first problem is most easily fixed by upgrading to XP. The problem
    > you describe only occurs in 98 and ME.
    > Second problem, I suggest you use tabs instead of new windows.

    Thank Lee! The icon problem is gone. Upgrading to XP is not actually
    the easiest solution when one doesn't have a machine that can handle XP ;)

    That just leaves me with the problem of the URL being displayed first in
    the window title bar (when the window is a non-full-screen pop-up of
    some sort). Windows like this are things such as a pop-up chat client
    coming off the main website. It's not practical to have them in a tab.
    I just want to be able to see the title of the window in the taskbar
    when I'm clicking around so that i don't have to fumble through a host
    of windows.

    Thanks again for solving half my migration issues. Anybody with any
    thoughts on the remaining half?
    Curtis, Mar 26, 2005
  5. Curtis wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> The first problem is most easily fixed by upgrading to XP. The
    >> problem you describe only occurs in 98 and ME.
    >> Second problem, I suggest you use tabs instead of new windows.

    > Thank Lee! The icon problem is gone. Upgrading to XP is not actually
    > the easiest solution when one doesn't have a machine that can handle XP ;)
    >
    > That just leaves me with the problem of the URL being displayed first in
    > the window title bar (when the window is a non-full-screen pop-up of
    > some sort). Windows like this are things such as a pop-up chat client
    > coming off the main website. It's not practical to have them in a tab.
    > I just want to be able to see the title of the window in the taskbar
    > when I'm clicking around so that i don't have to fumble through a host
    > of windows.
    >
    > Thanks again for solving half my migration issues. Anybody with any
    > thoughts on the remaining half?

    I'm glad I could help. As far as the second problem, I suppose practical
    is as practical does. I have all popups targeted for tabs, and it works
    fine. I almost never have two browser windows open (at least not the
    same browser.)

    I do think that the ultimate answer is to use the power of tabbed
    browsing. For one thing, if you have an underpowered machine, tabs are
    far less wasteful of system resources then multiple windows. Even if
    you do have desired popups opening as popups, there should not be so
    many windows open that they are hard to keep track of.

    I don' think there is another answer to the question, I'm sorry to say.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 26, 2005
  6. Curtis

    Curtis Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > I do think that the ultimate answer is to use the power of tabbed
    > browsing. For one thing, if you have an underpowered machine, tabs are
    > far less wasteful of system resources then multiple windows. Even if
    > you do have desired popups opening as popups, there should not be so
    > many windows open that they are hard to keep track of.
    >
    > I don' think there is another answer to the question, I'm sorry to say.
    >
    > Lee

    Well, I do understand, but after years of doing things one way, old dogs
    don't like some new tricks :p Mozilla never put the URL in the window
    title, so I'm sure there's one of those wacky settings things that you
    enter in the about:config screen. The trick is in finding it :s
    Curtis, Mar 26, 2005