    delete Version 1.0 before installing 1.0.1??
    Thank you.

    Newbie
    Jackie, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Jackie <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have Firefox 1.0 but see there is an update 1.0.1. Do I have to
    > delete Version 1.0 before installing 1.0.1??
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Newbie

    Jackie, It's been my experience that you should uninstall the previous
    version prior to installing the most current version. If you save your
    bookmarks; ...\firefox\profiles\xxx.default\bookmarks.bak, bookmarks.html,
    you can copy and paste them after you upgrade. This will save you having to
    do your bookmarks over again. -- Mike
    Michael O'Keefe, Mar 3, 2005

  3. Michael O'Keefe wrote:
    > Jackie <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have Firefox 1.0 but see there is an update 1.0.1. Do I have to
    >>delete Version 1.0 before installing 1.0.1??
    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>Newbie

    > Jackie, It's been my experience that you should uninstall the previous
    > version prior to installing the most current version. If you save your
    > bookmarks; ...\firefox\profiles\xxx.default\bookmarks.bak, bookmarks.html,
    > you can copy and paste them after you upgrade. This will save you having to
    > do your bookmarks over again. -- Mike

    Well, to clarify, it is worthwhile to uninstall the previous version
    before installing 1.0.1. However, the uninstall will not touch the
    profile, there will be no need to copy bookmarks in,they will be there
    waiting for the new version, which will use the old profile.

    Having said that, it is always a good idea to back up your profile, just
    as you would any important data on your computer, so go ahead an back up
    the profile, just in case something goes wrong. Its very unlikely that
    you will need it, but its better to have something and not need it, then
    to need something and not have it!

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 3, 2005
  4. I installed without removing 1.0 and had no problems. Bookmarks, extensions
    etc remained intact.

    I have however read that if the original installation of 1.0 was a from a
    zip file it is necessary to uninstall it first.

    The invisible man, Mar 3, 2005
  5. The invisible man wrote:
    > I installed without removing 1.0 and had no problems. Bookmarks, extensions
    > etc remained intact.
    >
    > I have however read that if the original installation of 1.0 was a from a
    > zip file it is necessary to uninstall it first.
    >

    > "Michael O'Keefe" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jackie <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have Firefox 1.0 but see there is an update 1.0.1. Do I have to
    >>>delete Version 1.0 before installing 1.0.1??
    >>>Thank you.
    >>>
    >>>Newbie
    >>>

    >>----------------------------------------------
    >>
    >>Jackie, It's been my experience that you should uninstall the previous
    >>version prior to installing the most current version. If you save your
    >>bookmarks; ...\firefox\profiles\xxx.default\bookmarks.bak, bookmarks.html,
    >>you can copy and paste them after you upgrade. This will save you having
    >>do your bookmarks over again. -- Mike

    Take a look in Add/Remove Programs. Do you see a listing for F1.0 and
    FF1.0.1?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 3, 2005
  6. Salut à toi *The invisible man*, tu nous disais ce jeudi 03/03/2005
    dans <news:> vers 19:03:21 le
    mélange de mots suivant :

    > I installed without removing 1.0 and had no problems. Bookmarks, extensions
    > etc remained intact.

    Same for me :)

    > I have however read that if the original installation of 1.0 was a from a zip
    > file it is necessary to uninstall it first.

    You're right

    --
    L'erreur est de croire qu'on est seul devant ses problèmes !
    Utilisez le butineur, le lecteur de courrier et de nouvelles avec
    Michel Doucet, Mar 3, 2005
  7. Jackie

    Jackie Guest

    "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Michael O'Keefe wrote:
    >> Jackie <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I have Firefox 1.0 but see there is an update 1.0.1. Do I have to
    >>> delete Version 1.0 before installing 1.0.1??
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> Newbie

    >> Jackie, It's been my experience that you should uninstall the
    >> previous
    >> version prior to installing the most current version. If you save
    >> your
    >> bookmarks; ...\firefox\profiles\xxx.default\bookmarks.bak,
    >> bookmarks.html, you can copy and paste them after you upgrade.
    >> This
    >> will save you having to do your bookmarks over again. -- Mike
    >>

    > Well, to clarify, it is worthwhile to uninstall the previous version
    > before installing 1.0.1. However, the uninstall will not touch the
    > profile, there will be no need to copy bookmarks in,they will be
    > there
    > waiting for the new version, which will use the old profile.
    >
    > Having said that, it is always a good idea to back up your profile,
    > just
    > as you would any important data on your computer, so go ahead an
    > back up
    > the profile, just in case something goes wrong. Its very unlikely
    > that
    > you will need it, but its better to have something and not need it,
    > then
    > to need something and not have it!
    >
    > Lee

    Thank you Michael and Lee for the advice I will uninstall first.
    --
    Jackie
    Jackie, Mar 3, 2005
  8. Jackie

    Tony Raven Guest

    Jackie wrote:

    > Thank you Michael and Lee for the advice I will uninstall first.

    Better still you can now use Tools/Options/Advanced/Software Update.
    Tick Firefox and click Update Now and it will automatically do the
    update for you. Tick My Extensions and Themes and it will automatically
    do any extension updates that are available

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Mar 3, 2005
  9. Tony Raven wrote:
    > Jackie wrote:
    >

    >> Thank you Michael and Lee for the advice I will uninstall first.

    > Better still you can now use Tools/Options/Advanced/Software Update.
    > Tick Firefox and click Update Now and it will automatically do the
    > update for you. Tick My Extensions and Themes and it will automatically
    > do any extension updates that are available
    >
    > Tony

    I assume you have done this. Tell me, look in add remove programs, do
    you see multiple entires for Firefox, specifically one for 1.0 and
    another for 1.0.1?

    Does Help>>About Mozilla Firefox, give the 1.0.1 UA?

    I/m just curious, since I have already upgraded, I'd to hear a little
    about how the pushed upgrade goes.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 3, 2005
  10. Jackie

    Jim Shu Guest

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:50:19 -0000, "Jackie" <>
    wrote:

    >I have Firefox 1.0 but see there is an update 1.0.1. Do I have to
    >delete Version 1.0 before installing 1.0.1??
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Newbie

    I didn't and everything worked out fine. Bookmarks, extensions,
    plugins, etc. all still there and I wouldn't know the difference if
    I didn't look at the "about" menu item. Go figure......
    Jim Shu, Mar 4, 2005
  11. Jackie

    wrote:

    >I have Firefox 1.0 but see there is an update 1.0.1. Do I have to
    >delete Version 1.0 before installing 1.0.1??
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Newbie

    I did the install from the little arrow on the toolbar. it updated and
    i only have one instance of firefox in my uninstall program. my
    bookmarks are intact, but all of my extensions are disabled :-(

    oh well... curious to know why this happens.
    , Mar 4, 2005
  12. Jackie

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <7lNVd.98315$>,
    says...
    > Tony Raven wrote:

    > > Better still you can now use Tools/Options/Advanced/Software Update.
    > > Tick Firefox and click Update Now and it will automatically do the
    > > update for you. Tick My Extensions and Themes and it will automatically
    > > do any extension updates that are available
    > >
    > > Tony

    > I assume you have done this. Tell me, look in add remove programs, do
    > you see multiple entires for Firefox, specifically one for 1.0 and
    > another for 1.0.1?
    >
    > Does Help>>About Mozilla Firefox, give the 1.0.1 UA?
    >
    > I/m just curious, since I have already upgraded, I'd to hear a little
    > about how the pushed upgrade goes.

    I just performed the pushed upgrade. Help->About does give the 1.0.1 UA,
    but there are multiple entries in Add/Remove Programs (I have 0.9.2,
    1.0, and now 1.0.1 - I installed 1.0 manually without uninstalling 0.9.2
    first, as I didn't know any better at the time).

    Dave
    Dave Garrett, Mar 4, 2005
  13. Jackie

    Tony Raven Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > I assume you have done this. Tell me, look in add remove programs, do
    > you see multiple entires for Firefox, specifically one for 1.0 and
    > another for 1.0.1?

    Yes I do.

    > Does Help>>About Mozilla Firefox, give the 1.0.1 UA?

    It gives Version 1.0.1

    Tony Raven, Mar 4, 2005
  14. Jackie

    Big Will Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:50:19 -0000, "Jackie" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have Firefox 1.0 but see there is an update 1.0.1. Do I have to
    >>delete Version 1.0 before installing 1.0.1??
    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>Newbie
    >>

    > I did the install from the little arrow on the toolbar. it updated and
    > i only have one instance of firefox in my uninstall program. my
    > bookmarks are intact, but all of my extensions are disabled :-(
    >
    > oh well... curious to know why this happens.

    The same thing happenned to me. What worked was creating a new profile,
    but you'll need to save your bookmarks and transfer them over to your
    new one.

    Regards,

    Will.
    Big Will, Mar 4, 2005
  15. Tony Raven wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >> I assume you have done this. Tell me, look in add remove programs, do
    >> you see multiple entires for Firefox, specifically one for 1.0 and
    >> another for 1.0.1?

    > Yes I do.
    >

    >> Does Help>>About Mozilla Firefox, give the 1.0.1 UA?

    > It gives Version 1.0.1
    >

    >> I/m just curious, since I have already upgraded, I'd to hear a little
    >> about how the pushed upgrade goes.
    >>
    >> Lee

    Okay, based on this, the pushed upgrade is a full upgrade, not a patch,
    and the problem of leaving ghost references in Add/Remove is still
    there. Thanks Dave and Tony, for the information.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 4, 2005
  16. Jackie

    BoydFrancis Guest

    A stupid question , I ask:
    Where do you go in 1.0.1 to create a new Profile????
    I can't locate that!

    BoydFrancis, Mar 4, 2005
  17. BoydFrancis wrote:
    > A stupid question , I ask:
    > Where do you go in 1.0.1 to create a new Profile????
    > I can't locate that!
    >
    > "Big Will" <ALL_YOUR_BASE@ARE_BELONG_TO_US> wrote in message
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>>I did the install from the little arrow on the toolbar. it updated and
    >>>i only have one instance of firefox in my uninstall program. my
    >>>bookmarks are intact, but all of my extensions are disabled :-(
    >>>
    >>>oh well... curious to know why this happens.

    >>The same thing happenned to me. What worked was creating a new profile,
    >>but you'll need to save your bookmarks and transfer them over to your new
    >>one.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Will.

    Start>>Run

    Type firefox.exe -p

    Click OK

    That will open Profile Manager.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 4, 2005
  18. Jackie

    Tony Raven Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Okay, based on this, the pushed upgrade is a full upgrade, not a patch,
    > and the problem of leaving ghost references in Add/Remove is still
    > there. Thanks Dave and Tony, for the information.
    >
    > Lee

    My thoughts also - the upgrade ran just like an install. That would
    seem inconsistent with the recommendation to uninstall v1.0 first as it
    seems to just install 1.0.1 over the top of 1.0

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Mar 4, 2005
  19. Tony Raven wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >> Okay, based on this, the pushed upgrade is a full upgrade, not a
    >> patch, and the problem of leaving ghost references in Add/Remove is
    >> still there. Thanks Dave and Tony, for the information.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > My thoughts also - the upgrade ran just like an install. That would
    > seem inconsistent with the recommendation to uninstall v1.0 first as it
    > seems to just install 1.0.1 over the top of 1.0
    >
    > Tony

    They really need to fix the installer. The Suite's installer doesn't do
    this. When I install a new version of the Suite, I just install right
    over the top, knowing that the installer will uninstall for me.

    Its easy enough to get rid the the ghost Add/Remove entries, using
    Spybot, or RegCleaner, but since the installer is leaving this behind,
    I'd like to be a little more sure about what else it might be leaving
    behind, so, for now, I'll uninstall first.

    The ghost entries don't seem to hurt anything, but it confuses newbies
    no end, and its just plain sloppy.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 4, 2005