    did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible with
    FF0.9

  2. Patrick Dunford

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    > support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not only
    > did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    > reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible with
    > FF0.9

    > in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of the
    > standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx on
    > your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    > not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    A typical response from someone not clever enough to handle Beta software.
    Bruce Flyger, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    > support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not only
    > did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    > reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible with
    > FF0.9

    > in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of the
    > standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx on
    > your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    > not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    Firefox 0.9.3 works perfectly fine with the extensions I'm using
    (Adblock and Tabbrowser Preferences). AFAIK they did change the
    extension API between 0.8 and 0.9, so I had to reinstall them after
    upgrading. I usually install them using the "Get more extensions" link
    in the extension manager. Otherwise just download the xpi file and drag
    in on an open FF window. Works for me at least.

    HTH,

    Martin
    Martin Kaufmann, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    Mackin Guest

    Bruce Flyger wrote:

    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >> Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    >> support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not only
    >> did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    >> reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible with
    >> FF0.9

    >> in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of the
    >> standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx on
    >> your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    >> not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    > A typical response from someone not clever enough to handle Beta software.

    I totally agree. Extensions work fine for me in 0.9.2. Tools > Extensions,
    how hard can it be?

    Mackin.
    Mackin, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:50:15 +1200, Bruce Flyger wrote:

    > A typical response from someone not clever enough to handle Beta software.

    And/or understand it.

    It is a real bugger being in beta, those programmers are just so wild.
    They want to keep changing things for the better as they work towards
    version one.

    This means that you have to keep up. You know download more free stuff and
    try it out. Yummy.
    Gordon, Aug 6, 2004
  6. On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:19:49 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    >support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not only
    >did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    >reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible with
    >FF0.9

    >in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of the
    >standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx on
    >your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    >not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    May be its because you just don't have a Brain, ? also it is a BETA and is
    now 0.9.3
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 6, 2004
  7. On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:50:15 +1200, Bruce Flyger
    <> wrote:

    >Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >> Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    >> support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not only
    >> did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    >> reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible with
    >> FF0.9

    >> in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of the
    >> standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx on
    >> your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    >> not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    >A typical response from someone not clever enough to handle Beta software.

    Don't you know that Patrick in not Clever, he is in more Kill files than me..

    Soon to be added to mine..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 6, 2004
  8. On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:13:57 +1200, Martin Kaufmann
    <> wrote:

    >Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >> Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    >> support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not only
    >> did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    >> reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible with
    >> FF0.9

    >> in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of the
    >> standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx on
    >> your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    >> not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    >Firefox 0.9.3 works perfectly fine with the extensions I'm using
    >(Adblock and Tabbrowser Preferences). AFAIK they did change the
    >extension API between 0.8 and 0.9, so I had to reinstall them after
    >upgrading. I usually install them using the "Get more extensions" link
    >in the extension manager. Otherwise just download the xpi file and drag
    >in on an open FF window. Works for me at least.
    >
    >HTH,
    >
    >Martin

    Thats way way over Patricks head..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 6, 2004
  9. Patrick Dunford

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "The GHOST of WOGER." <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:50:15 +1200, Bruce Flyger
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >> Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    > >> support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not

    only
    > >> did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    > >> reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible

    with
    > >> FF0.9

    > >> in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of

    the
    > >> standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx

    on
    > >> your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    > >> not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    > >A typical response from someone not clever enough to handle Beta

    software.

    > Don't you know that Patrick in not Clever,

    Yeah, of course we know :)

    he is in more Kill files than me..

    Well, that is possible. At least you offer some entertainment value - and
    therefore, you are probably in a lot less KFs than you think :)

    > Soon to be added to mine..

    No, no, no NO! Dickford idolises you - he wants to be you.

    RJ out (and struggling not to piss myself from the hilarity of it all)
    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 6, 2004
  10. Patrick Dunford

    > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:13:57 +1200, Martin Kaufmann
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >> Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    > >> support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not

    only
    > >> did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    > >> reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible

    with
    > >> FF0.9

    > >> in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of

    the
    > >> standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx

    on
    > >> your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    > >> not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    > >Firefox 0.9.3 works perfectly fine with the extensions I'm using
    > >(Adblock and Tabbrowser Preferences). AFAIK they did change the
    > >extension API between 0.8 and 0.9, so I had to reinstall them after
    > >upgrading. I usually install them using the "Get more extensions" link
    > >in the extension manager. Otherwise just download the xpi file and drag
    > >in on an open FF window. Works for me at least.
    > >
    > >HTH,
    > >
    > >Martin

    > Thats way way over Patricks head..

    Damnit, is this the "new" woger?

    You are completely correct!

    RJ out.
    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 6, 2004
  11. In article <>, bflyger@slingshot-
    REMOVETOREPLY-.co.nz says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    > > support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not only
    > > did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    > > reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible with
    > > FF0.9

    > > in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of the
    > > standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx on
    > > your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    > > not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    > A typical response from someone not clever enough to handle Beta software.

    A typical response from someone who contributes nothing of substance to a
    newsgroup.

    I've used a lot of beta software in my time. I've been using Mozilla
    Thunderbird since 0.4, when I made it the only email software on my
    computer and transferred all of my mail messages and contacts to it.

    Extensions are a major area of functionality on Firefox. At a 0.9 release
    you would expect that this functionality, which worked fine in previous
    releases of Firefox, would have reached its zenith of perfection. I need
    the extension functionality to assure me reliable file downloads. Without
    that extension, the browser is of very little use to me.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 6, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:50:15 +1200, Bruce Flyger
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >> Who else is dumping firefox or thinking of dumping it since extension
    > >> support was trashed in 0.9.2? I upgraded from 0.8 and found that not only
    > >> did it remove the extension I already had installed, it refused to
    > >> reinstall the same extension, even though it is marked as compatible with
    > >> FF0.9

    > >> in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of the
    > >> standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx on
    > >> your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    > >> not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    > >A typical response from someone not clever enough to handle Beta software.

    > Don't you know that Patrick in not Clever, he is in more Kill files than me..

    Almost certainly untrue, you have used so many aliases that the total
    number of times you appear in anyone's killfile is much more than anyone
    lese.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 6, 2004
  13. The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    > Don't you know that Patrick in not Clever, he is in more Kill files than me..
    > Soon to be added to mine..

    heh, you know your a dickhead when Roger killfiles you.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 6, 2004
  14. Patrick Dunford

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...
    > The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    > > Don't you know that Patrick in not Clever, he is in more Kill files than

    me..
    > > Soon to be added to mine..

    > heh, you know your a dickhead when Roger killfiles you.

    Hey! I resemble that!

    Woger KF'ed me - are you saying I'm a dickhead?

    Oh yeah, don't answer - I'll plead guilty now :)

    RJ out.
    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 6, 2004
  15. Patrick Dunford

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > I need
    > the extension functionality to assure me reliable file downloads.
    > Without that extension, the browser is of very little use to me.

    I do not understand what you are going on about. Extentions are still
    there and still work, they just changed the way they have to be coded so
    some old ones may not work. The good ones have been updated. Tab browser
    extention and IEView work fine, what else do you need?
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 6, 2004
  16. In article <Xns953DE46ECA998daveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13>,
    says...
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > I need
    > > the extension functionality to assure me reliable file downloads.
    > > Without that extension, the browser is of very little use to me.
    > >

    > I do not understand what you are going on about. Extentions are still
    > there and still work, they just changed the way they have to be coded so
    > some old ones may not work. The good ones have been updated. Tab browser
    > extention and IEView work fine, what else do you need?

    downloadwith

    Allows you to use an auto resuming download client, absolutely essential
    when you get cut off by the server at the other end.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 6, 2004
  17. Patrick Dunford

    cobs Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    >>Patrick Dunford wrote:

    [...]
    >>>in FF. Opening the XPI file using File | Open does not produce any of the
    >>>standard dialogs like "A file is requesting permission to install xxx on
    >>>your computer, blah blah blah" or "Installing x.xpi". The extension is
    >>>not installed and does not appear on the list of installed extensions.

    >>A typical response from someone not clever enough to handle Beta software.

    > Don't you know that Patrick in not Clever, he is in more Kill files than me..
    >
    > Soon to be added to mine..

    That's fantastic :) definite submission for a.h.best-of-usenet.
    <Off to find a cloth to mop up the coffee that went everywhere>
    cobs, Aug 6, 2004
  18. Patrick Dunford

    cobs Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    >
    >> Don't you know that Patrick in not Clever, he is in more Kill files
    >> than me..
    >> Soon to be added to mine..

    > heh, you know your a dickhead when Roger killfiles you.

    Hmm, hey Roger, would you mind posting the contents of your killfile?

    I'm a little (maybe too much) curious.
    cobs, Aug 6, 2004
  19. On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 23:31:54 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <Xns953DE46ECA998daveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13>,
    > says...
    >> Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I need
    >> > the extension functionality to assure me reliable file downloads.
    >> > Without that extension, the browser is of very little use to me.
    >> >

    >> I do not understand what you are going on about. Extentions are still
    >> there and still work, they just changed the way they have to be coded so
    >> some old ones may not work. The good ones have been updated. Tab browser
    >> extention and IEView work fine, what else do you need?

    >downloadwith
    >
    >Allows you to use an auto resuming download client, absolutely essential
    >when you get cut off by the server at the other end.

    I never ever use a Browser to dnload large files, a good FTP program like
    Bulletproof, or a Dnload manager like ReGet.

    Only Fairies use a browser to do that, so it seems that Patrick might be a
    Fairy..??
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 6, 2004
  20. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 23:31:54 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <Xns953DE46ECA998daveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13>,
    > > says...
    > >> Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > >> I do not understand what you are going on about. Extentions are still
    > >> there and still work, they just changed the way they have to be coded so
    > >> some old ones may not work. The good ones have been updated. Tab browser
    > >> extention and IEView work fine, what else do you need?

    > >downloadwith
    > >
    > >Allows you to use an auto resuming download client, absolutely essential
    > >when you get cut off by the server at the other end.

    > I never ever use a Browser to dnload large files, a good FTP program like
    > Bulletproof, or a Dnload manager like ReGet.

    Have you never heard of a download manager that hooks into your browser?

    Gee is there something you don't know Roger..
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 6, 2004