Firefly

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan Brown, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    For those who don't know, /Firefly/ is set in a future galaxy where
    the core planets are wealthy and urbanized but the border worlds are
    a strange mix of high-tech and pre-tech images. The opening credits
    capture it perfectly with a shot of a spaceship swooping over a
    herd(*) of horses in a dusty Western-style landscape. The main
    characters are 5 petty criminals on their own ship, trying to eke
    out a living, plus 4 strangely assorted passengers. The dialog
    crackles, the plots are satisfyingly complex, and the ensemble
    acting is top-notch.

    I just this weekend finished watching the 4-DVD box set. Talk about
    a textbook example of a network screwing up a really good show!

    When Fox broadcast it, they omitted the two-hour pilot and aired the
    other episodes in jumbled order -- often with a gap of two or three
    weeks between episodes. It seemed like a disorganized mish-mash to
    me, because it was.

    But watching the DVDs, with the episodes in order, it was a
    completely different experience. The dynamics of the characters made
    sense, and the humor came out. About half the episodes have
    commentary, and most of the commentaries are interesting or funny,
    or both. I'll definitely watch this set again and again.

    I ordered my set from Amazon. The web site said it was in stock, but
    a few days later I got an e-mail that my order was delayed, so I
    ended up with the set a couple of weeks late. You might want to bear
    that in mind if you order a set yourself.

    (*) Is a group of horses a "herd"? Doesn't sound quite right.

    (followups set to alt.video.dvd only)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Stan Brown

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << I just this weekend finished watching the 4-DVD box set. Talk about
    a textbook example of a network screwing up a really good show! >><BR><BR>

    Just to make sure, you do know that a theatrical film is shooting as we speak
    for an April 22 release, right?

    SoHillsGuy, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "SoHillsGuy" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    ><< I just this weekend finished watching the 4-DVD box set. Talk about
    >a textbook example of a network screwing up a really good show! >><BR><BR>
    >

    >Just to make sure, you do know that a theatrical film is shooting as we speak
    >for an April 22 release, right?

    I do know -- the movie is called /Serenity/ and picks up 6 months
    after the last episode, "Objects in Space", leaves off. But
    <http://www.tvtome.com/Firefly/guide.html> says the movie will be
    released 12-Nov-2004, not April 2005. Do you have more current
    information than tvtome.com?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Stan Brown

    Myrnag2555 Guest

    >(*) Is a group of horses a "herd"?

    Yes.

    Myrnag2555, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Stan Brown

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > I just this weekend finished watching the 4-DVD box set. Talk about
    > a textbook example of a network screwing up a really good show!
    >
    > When Fox broadcast it, they omitted the two-hour pilot and aired the
    > other episodes in jumbled order -- often with a gap of two or three
    > weeks between episodes. It seemed like a disorganized mish-mash to
    > me, because it was.

    Contrary to popular belief, the order of the episodes was not FOX's
    doing, except for their not wanting to air the pilot. Tim Minear has
    said, in no uncertain terms, that he and Joss Whedon were responsible
    for deciding which episodes to show in what order, given that the
    pilot was not going to air. They tried to present episodes that would
    give better background, or that they thought would grab people more,
    in order to try to increase the ratings.

    As far as the gaps in airing go, that was FOX's normal course of
    business regarding their fall schedule because of baseball playoffs.

    Where FOX fell down was primarily in their having no clue how to
    market the series, and as a result, they made no attempt to aggressively
    advertise it.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 19, 2004
  6. Stan Brown

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    >> Just to make sure, you do know that a theatrical film is shooting
    >> as we speak for an April 22 release, right?

    > I do know -- the movie is called /Serenity/ and picks up 6 months
    > after the last episode, "Objects in Space", leaves off. But
    > <http://www.tvtome.com/Firefly/guide.html> says the movie will be
    > released 12-Nov-2004, not April 2005. Do you have more current
    > information than tvtome.com?

    How about Joss Whedon himself? He was the one who announced the
    April 2005 date.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 19, 2004
  7. Stan Brown

    Jim Guest

    Stan Brown <> wrote in

    > (*) Is a group of horses a "herd"? Doesn't sound quite right.

    "A team, harras, rag (for colts), stud (a group of horses belonging
    to a single owner, string (ponies)" according to

    http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/help/faq/animals/names.htm

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 19, 2004
  8. Stan Brown

    Russell Guest

    I picked up the DVD set last month, mostly out of curiosity. I
    don't remember the original airing.

    I was surprised at the high quality of the production. Its
    cancellation is an outstanding example of the Neanderthal and
    Luddite mentalities of the supposedly creative artistic media.
    Another fine show lost in the vast expanse of the TV Wastelands.

    Will /Serenity/ be just another ripoff of a TV series? I have
    seen too many such fall victim to the arrogance of "artistic
    licence".

    Russell, Jul 19, 2004
  9. Stan Brown

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > Will /Serenity/ be just another ripoff of a TV series? I have
    > seen too many such fall victim to the arrogance of "artistic
    > licence".

    Since it's being produced by all the same people, I have no
    reason to expect that it's not going to be as good as the
    series was.

    I supposed the same was said about the X-FILES movie, but,
    to be honest, even there, I didn't think it was really any
    worse than the series was at that point.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 19, 2004
  10. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > says...
    >
    >> Will /Serenity/ be just another ripoff of a TV series? I have
    >> seen too many such fall victim to the arrogance of "artistic
    >> licence".

    >Since it's being produced by all the same people, I have no
    >reason to expect that it's not going to be as good as the
    >series was.

    I one of the featurettes on Disc 4, one of the execs (I don't think
    it was Whedon, but it might have been him or Minear) expressed hope
    that someone would see the theatrical movie and contact him about
    spinning it off into a TV series. I get the feeling it was said only
    partly tongue in cheek.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Stan Brown

    Smaug69 Guest

    jayembee <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > says...
    >
    > >> Just to make sure, you do know that a theatrical film is shooting
    > >> as we speak for an April 22 release, right?

    > > I do know -- the movie is called /Serenity/ and picks up 6 months
    > > after the last episode, "Objects in Space", leaves off. But
    > > <http://www.tvtome.com/Firefly/guide.html> says the movie will be
    > > released 12-Nov-2004, not April 2005. Do you have more current
    > > information than tvtome.com?

    > How about Joss Whedon himself? He was the one who announced the
    > April 2005 date.

    He's going to be at the Comic-Con in San Diego on Sunday talking about
    the film and might have some of the actors with him. I'm sure he will
    be confirming that April 22nd 2005 release date.

    Tim Minear(also a producer/writer/director on Firefly) is also there
    the same day showing a couple of unaired episodes of Wonderfalls with
    creator Bryan Fuller.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Stan Brown