    as they find themselves the prey of evil "

    Gee...replace "Millenium Falcon" with "Sereniity", and you basically
    have the plot of this little 1977 movie....how novel! <g>

    Peter Briggs, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Peter Briggs

    Jay G Guest

    Peter Briggs <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    > Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating buying the
    > box DVD, I'm curious as to what others think of it?

    It's a great show. I loved it while it was on TV, and it's
    even better when viewed on DVD, in the proper
    episode order and in the proper aspect ratio. The
    DVD set itself is a finely produced set worthy of any
    TV show. The 14 episodes are all entertaining, with
    a few of them being some of the best TV ever produced.
    Since the series was cut short by the cancellation by FOX,
    the show does leave you hanging regarding some long-running
    plot threads, but hopefully the new movie will answer some,
    while still remaining accessable to those unfamiliar with the
    show.

    > Just read the following on "Serenity", the -- uh -- "movie spinoff",
    > over at Yahoo:
    >
    > "The film centers on a veteran captain of a galactic war, who, with a
    > small crew, rents out his ship, Serenity, for the purposes of
    > transport-for-hire and pulling off small crimes.
    >
    > When the captain takes on two new passengers, he soon learns that they
    > are hotly pursued fugitives from the coalition controlling the
    > universe.
    >
    > A whole host of trouble follows for the captain and his fearless crew,
    > as they find themselves the prey of evil "
    >
    > Gee...replace "Millenium Falcon" with "Sereniity", and you basically
    > have the plot of this little 1977 movie....how novel! <g>

    Joss Whedon, the creator of the show, said the idea for the show
    came when he was reading "Killer Angels," and thinking about
    how to create a show about the people history just kinda walked
    over. Then he thought "Millenium Falcon." So Star Wars was
    definately an influence. However, Lucas has stated that Star
    Wars was inspired by Kurosawa's THE HIDDEN FORTRESS,
    and a similarly vauge plot outline of that film could paint Star
    Wars as a straight ripoff. In reality, Firefly and Star Wars
    differ wildly from their inspirations.

    The one thing the captains of Serenity and Millenium Falcon
    do have in common though, is that both would shoot Greebo
    first.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Peter Briggs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating buying the

    box
    > DVD, I'm curious as to what others think of it?

    Knowing that you aren't fond of any of Whedon's other works, I'd say
    it's a risky proposition from your perspective.

    > Gee...replace "Millenium Falcon" with "Sereniity", and you basically
    > have the plot of this little 1977 movie....how novel! <g>

    Yeah, the show has blatant influences like that, but it's really much
    more a Western than Star Wars.

    Full review here:

    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_7/firefly.html

    Joshua Zyber, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Peter Briggs

    Justin Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote on [Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:44:50 +0000]:
    > Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating buying the box
    > DVD, I'm curious as to what others think of it?

    I liked it. In broadcast order it was a little strange, but in the
    correct order it's much better. Of course, our tastes differ.

    > Gee...replace "Millenium Falcon" with "Sereniity", and you basically
    > have the plot of this little 1977 movie....how novel! <g>

    Yeah, as a vague outline, sure. Of course, it's not exactly like Star
    Wars was an original concept.

    Justin, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Peter Briggs

    Meng Guest

    > Knowing that you aren't fond of any of Whedon's other works, I'd say
    > it's a risky proposition from your perspective.

    Doesn't apply to me. I'm not into Buffy or any of its associates, but I love
    Firefly.

    Meng, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Peter Briggs

    jayembee Guest

    pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote:

    > Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating
    > buying the box DVD, I'm curious as to what others think
    > of it?

    I love it. But you and I disagree on a lot of things, so
    you might take this with a grain of salt. Basically, though,
    you need to look beyond it's SF/Western fusion milieu, and
    pay attention to its thematic strengths.

    > Just read the following on "Serenity", the -- uh -- "movie
    > spinoff", over at Yahoo:
    >
    > "The film centers on a veteran captain of a galactic war,
    > who, with a small crew, rents out his ship, Serenity, for
    > the purposes of transport-for-hire and pulling off small
    > crimes.
    >
    > When the captain takes on two new passengers, he soon
    > learns that they are hotly pursued fugitives from the
    > coalition controlling the universe.
    >
    > A whole host of trouble follows for the captain and his
    > fearless crew, as they find themselves the prey of evil "
    >
    > Gee...replace "Millenium Falcon" with "Sereniity", and
    > you basically have the plot of this little 1977 movie....
    > how novel! <g>

    Sure, you can come up with a plot description that makes
    it sound like STAR WARS. But in execution, it's very much
    different.

    As an analogy, here's a plot description for another movie
    that was released in 1977:

    "An ordinary working-class man has an encounter with an
    unearthly visitation, which drives him in an obsessive
    search for the truth about his visions. In the process,
    he alienates his family and friends, who all think he's
    become unhinged. In the end, however, he's proven right."

    Oh, and his wife is played by Teri Garr.

    Now...would you like to claim that CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE
    THIRD KIND and OH, GOD! are at all alike?

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Peter Briggs

    TomT Guest

    It was a great TV show that Fox totally screwed up with it's quirky
    scheduling. I got the box set right when it came out. The only problem:
    there is no ending or explanations because Fox cancelled it way to soon. I
    still recommend it.

    TomT, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    jayembee <> wrote:

    > As an analogy, here's a plot description for another movie
    > that was released in 1977:
    >
    > "An ordinary working-class man has an encounter with an
    > unearthly visitation, which drives him in an obsessive
    > search for the truth about his visions. In the process,
    > he alienates his family and friends, who all think he's
    > become unhinged. In the end, however, he's proven right."
    >
    > Oh, and his wife is played by Teri Garr.
    >
    > Now...would you like to claim that CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE
    > THIRD KIND and OH, GOD! are at all alike?

    Well, there are really only 10 plots in the world... <g>

    Peter Briggs, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Peter Briggs

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating buying the box
    > DVD, I'm curious as to what others think of it?

    I recently watched the box set and it blew me away. I tried one episode when
    it aired and sort of bounced off of it; I believe that had I seen the pilot
    first, as presented in the box set, I would have become a devotee from the
    start, especially had they then aired the episode in order, which they
    didn't.

    I never watched Buffy, but having liked Firefly so much I borrowed the Buffy
    boxes from a friend who's been urging me to try them. I'm enjoying them
    too -- more as the series matures in Seasons 2 and 3 -- but Firefly is very
    different, and I think whether you like one or the other has less to do with
    being a "Whedon fan" than with the merits of the series themselves.

    IMO, Firefly was killed by Fox with malice and intent. It didn't fail
    because of its quality or content. At that point the network had seen what
    far less than Firefly's $2 million a week could buy them, and we've seen the
    results in the endless parade of increasingly mind-numbingly stupid
    surreality programming.

    I don't know if I'm excited about the movie or not. After all, it won't
    really be a continuation of the series; it will have to cover old ground and
    make other narrative compromises to fit the stand-alone 2-hour format. On
    the other hand, Whedon hasn't had a shot at a theatrical feature since he's
    matured as a writer/director, and it'll be cool to see what he can do with a
    decent budget and creative control.

    I don't believe you'll regret investing in the Firefly box.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Mar 4, 2004
  10. Peter Briggs

    Trevor S Guest

    pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote in

    > Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating buying the box
    > DVD, I'm curious as to what others think of it?

    I have the box set of the series and was less then impressed, I will give
    the movie a miss.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Mar 5, 2004
  11. Meng <> wrote:

    :> Knowing that you aren't fond of any of Whedon's other works, I'd say
    :> it's a risky proposition from your perspective.
    :>
    : Doesn't apply to me. I'm not into Buffy or any of its associates, but I love
    : Firefly.

    Likewise ..I'd never heard of Joss before this show. I haven't watched any
    of his other shows .. and I don't plan to ... BUT I really enjoyed Firefly.
    I recorded all the broadcast episodes (except the first because I didn't
    know it was on) and burnt them to VCD ... then I bought the DVD set when it
    came out;-)

    It took a few episodes for me to get the "message" Joss was sending (I
    think it was "Our Mrs. Reynolds" that hooked me) so give it a chance.

    You have to look past the obvious ("space western") to see the quality of
    the show (somewhat like overlooking the crassness of South Park) but if
    you can do that you'll be rewarded.

    Richard in Boston

    Richard G Amirault, Mar 5, 2004
  12. In article <Xns94A383C917B65billgatescom@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote in
    >
    > > Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating buying the box
    > > DVD, I'm curious as to what others think of it?

    > I have the box set of the series and was less then impressed, I will give
    > the movie a miss.

    Since he hasn't yet secured investors it won't be hard to miss.
    --
    ____________________
    Remove "X" from email address to reply.

    Chris Phillipo, Mar 5, 2004
  13. Peter Briggs

    Jay G Guest

    Chris Phillipo <> wrote:
    > says...
    >> I have the box set of the series and was less then impressed, I will
    >> give the movie a miss.

    > Since he hasn't yet secured investors it won't be hard to miss.

    Actually, the movie was just green-lit by Universal.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Mar 5, 2004
  14. Peter Briggs

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Peter Briggs,pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk says...
    > Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating buying the box
    > DVD, I'm curious as to what others think of it?

    Firefly is one of those shows that most people will be ambivalent about,
    but has a very strong appeal to a small fan base. Fans are quite rabid
    about it, like Buffy, Trek, and Millenium fans.

    I watched a few episodes and got bored with it. The basic premise was
    solid. The characters were interesting, although the series didn't last
    long enough to develop them. The actors were good. Production value was
    fantastic.

    The downside, and the reason I stopped watching, was that the show
    seemed to want to have that long-term X-Files backstory, but the writers
    didn't put enough into the individual episodes to make those interesting
    and self-contained. Kind of like a weak episode of Babylon 5. Also, the
    'Cowboys in space' motif was a little silly. Twangy steel-guitar music,
    costuming influenced by Tombstone, the whole deal.

    Mark Spatny, Mar 6, 2004
  15. Peter Briggs

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message

    >Twangy steel-guitar music,
    > costuming influenced by Tombstone, the whole deal.

    Well, I challenge you to find an actual steel guitar anywhere in the score.
    Fair amount of dobro, though, and a very folk/roots sort of feel to parts of
    it. I was extremely impressed with how much of a mix of styles the composer
    made work in this series: the music transitioned smoothly from the folk
    influence to scifi action music to a variety of world music styles so subtly
    it was easy not to notice it.

    As for the costumes and setting, well, perhaps the "cowboys in space" motif
    was too easily keyed on, but there are a couple of things to say about that.

    For one, the rationale -- that these colonies were sent out from Earth in a
    rapid diaspora where the colony ships landed with little more than basic
    tools and the means to maintain a pre-industrial society -- was explained in
    the (unaired until too late) pilot, and makes reasonable sense. (Note that a
    similar premise formed the basis for one of the better episodes in
    Heinlein's sf classic "Time Enough for Love"). Horses don't require advanced
    technology to make more, and agriculture is likewise self-sustaining.

    For another, there is an additional culture -- Chinese -- that's also very
    pervasive in the show. That it's not focused on reflects only the show's
    origins and target audience, not its lack of acknowledgement of the relative
    importance of multiculturalism. That seeds like these were planted but never
    given a chance to grow is one of the tragedies of series' premature demise.

    As for costumes, well, when you make your clothes out of homespun fabric and
    animal skins it all tends to take on a certain look. That the producers went
    a little overboard in using Western tropes -- train robberies, gunfights,
    "cattle drives," etc. -- is (IMO) no more egregious than Star Trek's
    insistence on humanoid aliens (for example). Some things you do because it
    makes things possible at all; other things you do because it looks cool and
    has a high fun quotient.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Mar 6, 2004