    Is there a FAQ for this group, or a recommended primer for a VoIP
    novice?

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Feb 25, 2005

  2. "Franc Zabkar" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm currently using Firefly and iaxComm softphones. I've configured my
    > firewall (ZoneAlarm) to prevent these apps from acting as servers.
    > What functions will I be missing? All I require is a facility for
    > making outbound international calls.
    >
    > Is there a FAQ for this group, or a recommended primer for a VoIP
    > novice?
    >

    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

    If you prevent them from acting as servers, it will prevent you from using the
    programs to work as a two way communication system (phone), as preventing it
    will block outgoing traffic, and you need the program to be able to send your
    voice out.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:14:57 -0000, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >"Franc Zabkar" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm currently using Firefly and iaxComm softphones. I've configured my
    >> firewall (ZoneAlarm) to prevent these apps from acting as servers.
    >> What functions will I be missing? All I require is a facility for
    >> making outbound international calls.
    >>
    >> Is there a FAQ for this group, or a recommended primer for a VoIP
    >> novice?
    >>

    >> - Franc Zabkar
    >> --
    >> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

    >If you prevent them from acting as servers, it will prevent you from using the
    >programs to work as a two way communication system (phone), as preventing it
    >will block outgoing traffic, and you need the program to be able to send your
    >voice out.

    Skype and iaxComm both work OK with server disabled. I haven't tried
    Firefly yet. Skype has a file transfer feature - I suspect this
    function will fail if server mode is disallowed.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:06:13 +1100, Franc Zabkar
    <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:14:57 -0000, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    ><> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >

    >>"Franc Zabkar" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm currently using Firefly and iaxComm softphones. I've configured my
    >>> firewall (ZoneAlarm) to prevent these apps from acting as servers.
    >>> What functions will I be missing? All I require is a facility for
    >>> making outbound international calls.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a FAQ for this group, or a recommended primer for a VoIP
    >>> novice?
    >>>

    >>> - Franc Zabkar
    >>> --
    >>> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

    >>If you prevent them from acting as servers, it will prevent you from using the
    >>programs to work as a two way communication system (phone), as preventing it
    >>will block outgoing traffic, and you need the program to be able to send your
    >>voice out.

    >Skype and iaxComm both work OK with server disabled. I haven't tried
    >Firefly yet.

    Firefly is OK, too.

    Franc Zabkar, Feb 28, 2005