Firebird performance on Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation PL

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Macma, Jul 15, 2010.

  1. Macma

    Macma Guest

    Hi,

    I have faced very strange situation with Firebird 2.1.3 performance (I
    also check versions 2.5 RC2 x64, 2.1.4 Snapshot x64, 1.5.6 x86 and still
    the same).

    I'm using FireBird 2.1.3 (x64) with default configuration on Windows
    2008 R2 Foundation PL (x64).

    My 32 bit application connecting to firebird via TCP connection
    (localhost) using 32-bit fbclient.dll (C++Builder 2007 with UIB
    components).
    It store about 700 record on every 30 seconds in some database. Which
    consume about 5-8 seconds witch is very long considerate FB 1.5 on
    windows server 2003 R2 and similar hardware where it's took below 1s.
    >From time to time every thing speeds up to "normal" where average write

    time were ± 0,3s.

    I try to investigate this performance issue because I use (x64)
    architecture for the first time.
    I have found things witch I can't explain reasonable.

    When I run only my application I had performance issue, it takes about
    5-8s to write 700 records and the average disk queue length come up to
    100 for that time. So i think this could be some storage issue.

    But here comes the funny part, I only run Database Workbench 4 (I don't
    made any connection from it only accept trial dialog) and every thing
    speed up to normal, where write time was less than 0,5 s and average
    disk queue length come below 50.

    I also found that the same performance boost I get when I run firefox
    with any flash application (at lest some flash banners on site) :). The
    same with simple AIR application.

    Is there anyone who have similar performance issue or have Idea what
    connecting this things.
    I still don't believe what I see. I have check on two hardware
    configuration and it's reproducible every time.

    Any help appreciated.

    Regards,
    Macma

    Macma, Jul 15, 2010

  2. Macma

    Steve Foster Guest

    Macma wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have faced very strange situation with Firebird 2.1.3 performance (I
    > also check versions 2.5 RC2 x64, 2.1.4 Snapshot x64, 1.5.6 x86 and
    > still the same).
    >
    > I'm using FireBird 2.1.3 (x64) with default configuration on Windows
    > 2008 R2 Foundation PL (x64).
    >
    > My 32 bit application connecting to firebird via TCP connection
    > (localhost) using 32-bit fbclient.dll (C++Builder 2007 with UIB
    > components).
    > It store about 700 record on every 30 seconds in some database. Which
    > consume about 5-8 seconds witch is very long considerate FB 1.5 on
    > windows server 2003 R2 and similar hardware where it's took below 1s.
    > > From time to time every thing speeds up to "normal" where average
    > > write

    > time were ± 0,3s.
    >
    > I try to investigate this performance issue because I use (x64)
    > architecture for the first time.
    > I have found things witch I can't explain reasonable.
    >
    > When I run only my application I had performance issue, it takes about
    > 5-8s to write 700 records and the average disk queue length come up to
    > 100 for that time. So i think this could be some storage issue.
    >
    > But here comes the funny part, I only run Database Workbench 4 (I
    > don't made any connection from it only accept trial dialog) and every
    > thing speed up to normal, where write time was less than 0,5 s and
    > average disk queue length come below 50.
    >
    > I also found that the same performance boost I get when I run firefox
    > with any flash application (at lest some flash banners on site) :).
    > The same with simple AIR application.
    >
    > Is there anyone who have similar performance issue or have Idea what
    > connecting this things.
    > I still don't believe what I see. I have check on two hardware
    > configuration and it's reproducible every time.

    I suspect your best bet would be to take this to Firebird support,
    since it appears to be Firebird-specific.

    --
    Steve Foster
    For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:

    Steve Foster, Jul 15, 2010

  3. Macma

    Macma Guest

    W dniu 2010-07-15 13:29, Steve Foster pisze:
    > Macma wrote:
    >

    > I suspect your best bet would be to take this to Firebird support,
    > since it appears to be Firebird-specific.

    I did this also, but I think it's rather OS specific because Firebird
    works great on previous OS which I used before. Specially firebird 1.5.6
    which works fine under Windows Server 2003 and 2003 R2 on the same
    hardware configuration and does not suffer this issue. A specially that
    long records write time is caused by poor storage subsystem, because
    average disk queue length stays on maximum level at this time.

    I can't imagine what two diffrent applications like firebird and e.g.
    flash or AIR have in common that one can impact on write performance of
    the other.

    That's why a try to find some answers on this forum also.

    Regards,
    Macma

    Macma, Jul 15, 2010
  4. Macma

    Macma Guest

    W dniu 2010-07-15 14:33, Macma pisze:
    > W dniu 2010-07-15 13:29, Steve Foster pisze:
    >> Macma wrote:
    >>

    >> I suspect your best bet would be to take this to Firebird support,
    >> since it appears to be Firebird-specific.
    >>

    > I did this also, but I think it's rather OS specific because Firebird
    > works great on previous OS which I used before. Specially firebird 1.5.6
    > which works fine under Windows Server 2003 and 2003 R2 on the same
    > hardware configuration and does not suffer this issue. A specially that
    > long records write time is caused by poor storage subsystem, because
    > average disk queue length stays on maximum level at this time.
    >
    > I can't imagine what two diffrent applications like firebird and e.g.
    > flash or AIR have in common that one can impact on write performance of
    > the other.
    >
    > That's why a try to find some answers on this forum also.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Macma

    I finally found the reason of this poor performance. It's driver for HP
    SmartArray P400 witch are broken above Version: 6.14.0.64 (B) (6 May 2009).
    I was using version 6.20.0.64 (8 Mar 2010) so now when I downgrade to
    6.14.0.64 (B) everything works fine for me.

    But I still can't explain why DB workbench and flash apps boost this
    performance

    regards,
    Macma

    Macma, Jul 16, 2010