    WhiTe_DeViL Guest

    just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they havnt
    even release a stable 1.6 yet?
    WhiTe_DeViL, Jan 7, 2004

  2. WhiTe_DeViL

    David Warren Guest

    WhiTe_DeViL wrote:

    > just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they havnt
    > even release a stable 1.6 yet?

    1.7a is where all the development is now.

    1.6b is bugfixes only.

    - David
    David Warren, Jan 7, 2004

  3. WhiTe_DeViL

    Ed Mullen Guest

    David Warren wrote:

    > WhiTe_DeViL wrote:
    >

    >>just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they havnt
    >>even release a stable 1.6 yet?

    > 1.7a is where all the development is now.
    >
    > 1.6b is bugfixes only.
    >
    > - David

    Meaning, for those of you who would like to be on the leading (but not
    bleeding) edge, that more unresolved bugs are in the 1.7 branch. The
    branch where more bugs have been squashed is the 1.6 one. Live in the
    lab or live in the world. Mozilla and open source gives you that
    choice! ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 8, 2004
  4. WhiTe_DeViL

    Mr. Man Guest

    David Warren said on 1/7/2004 8:27 AM:

    > WhiTe_DeViL wrote:
    >
    >> just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they
    >> havnt even release a stable 1.6 yet?

    > 1.7a is where all the development is now.
    >
    > 1.6b is bugfixes only.
    >
    > - David

    I really don't understand this process. Seems like a lot of redundant
    work. Why not polish 1.6 THEN go on to 1.7a? It's like pulling a car
    off the assembly line before it's finished and working, making the SAME
    fixes as the regular assembly line, THEN adding a new stereo...

    --
    confused
    Mr. Man, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Mr. Man wrote:
    > David Warren said on 1/7/2004 8:27 AM:
    >
    >> WhiTe_DeViL wrote:
    >>
    >>> just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they
    >>> havnt even release a stable 1.6 yet?

    >> 1.7a is where all the development is now.
    >>
    >> 1.6b is bugfixes only.
    >>
    >> - David

    > I really don't understand this process. Seems like a lot of redundant
    > work. Why not polish 1.6 THEN go on to 1.7a? It's like pulling a car
    > off the assembly line before it's finished and working, making the SAME
    > fixes as the regular assembly line, THEN adding a new stereo...

    No, it actually makes good sense, if you think about the volunteer
    nature of the foundation.

    The code is branched for the new release, meaning the decision has been
    made that the features currently in place are those that will be there
    for the release version. Those developers who work on the branch then
    focus on cleaning up the code, fixing any bugs marked as blockers for
    the release, and as many other bugs as possible.

    We test the nightlies, and report any regressions that may occur as bugs
    are fixed.

    Meanwhile, those developers who are focusing mostly on new features
    continue the developement of those features. If the trunk were forzen
    while the branch was developed, they would be doing nothing.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 11, 2004
  6. WhiTe_DeViL

    WhiTe_DeViL Guest

    yeah i agree.
    you would think that they would spend all their time and resources
    making a stable 1.6 build, then workin on the next version.
    seems as if they like waisting their time to me.
    WhiTe_DeViL, Jan 11, 2004
  7. WhiTe_DeViL

    Klaus Henkel Guest

    WhiTe_DeViL schrieb:
    > yeah i agree.
    > you would think that they would spend all their time and resources
    > making a stable 1.6 build, then workin on the next version.
    > seems as if they like waisting their time to me.

    There are no "they", if you think of a fixed organisation with
    employees and a boss on top telling "them" what to do.

    "They" are a lot of volunteers working for their own pleasure, and
    deciding themselves what tasks to work on. That is why the mozilla
    team has to find a way to to go for more than one goal at a time, as
    the bug resolvers will not implement new features, and the feature
    inventors and programmers will not hunt bugs. Every volunteer has his
    own preferences.

    Maybe you would like to take a look at the moz. homepage for some
    interesting information about the moz. organization?

    KH
    Klaus Henkel, Jan 11, 2004