    I don't know if this helps in understanding my problem but Firebird does
    briefly display before the crash but it does not respond when you try to
    click on any button. It usually remains open for less then a minute.

    Ray, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Ray <> wrote in
    news::

    > [OS Win2K/SP4]

    [snip]
    > I checked the error log in Dr. Watson but frankly it was just
    > gibberish to me. Here's a link to part of the log if anyone wants a
    > look. http://www2.symet.net/ray2047/drwatson.jpg
    >

    > I am currently have Mozilla 1.4 and it works fine. It is off when I
    > try to run Firebird but could it somehow be causing the problem?

    [snip]

    Corection to my origional post I am running Mozilla 1.3

    Ray, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Ray wrote:

    > Ray <> wrote in
    >

    >>[OS Win2K/SP4]
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    >>I checked the error log in Dr. Watson but frankly it was just
    >>gibberish to me. Here's a link to part of the log if anyone wants a
    >>look. http://www2.symet.net/ray2047/drwatson.jpg
    >>

    >>I am currently have Mozilla 1.4 and it works fine. It is off when I
    >>try to run Firebird but could it somehow be causing the problem?

    > [snip]
    >

    > Corection to my origional post I am running Mozilla 1.3

    There should be no conflict between Moz and FB. The profiles are stored
    separately, and the programs should be completely independent of one
    another.

    Firebird, of course, is downloaded as a zip archive. You then extract
    the files to a location of your choice, usually C:\Program Files. The
    extraction then creates a subfolder to Program Files called
    MozillaFirebird. Of course, you could choose another location.

    Are you following all these steps?

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones
    Mozilla Champion

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in news:S4fib.173485
    $:

    [snip] Firebird, of course, is downloaded as a zip archive. You then
    extract
    > the files to a location of your choice, usually C:\Program Files. The
    > extraction then creates a subfolder to Program Files called
    > MozillaFirebird. Of course, you could choose another location.
    >
    > Are you following all these steps?
    >
    > Lee

    I used the zip archive the first time and the (unofficial) Windows
    installer the last time. Firebird does open but crashes within a minute so
    I don't think it is how I am installing it. The istalation does work well
    enough to send a bug report home so the instalation doesn't seem to be the
    problem.

    Ray, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Ray wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in news:S4fib.173485
    > $:
    >
    > [snip] Firebird, of course, is downloaded as a zip archive. You then
    > extract
    >
    >>the files to a location of your choice, usually C:\Program Files. The
    >>extraction then creates a subfolder to Program Files called
    >>MozillaFirebird. Of course, you could choose another location.
    >>
    >>Are you following all these steps?
    >>
    >>Lee

    > I used the zip archive the first time and the (unofficial) Windows
    > installer the last time. Firebird does open but crashes within a minute so
    > I don't think it is how I am installing it. The istalation does work well
    > enough to send a bug report home so the instalation doesn't seem to be the
    > problem.

    Okay, I have run into some folks who just open the zip archive and try
    to run it, without ever extracting it. It complains about a missing dll
    file. I've never used the installer, so I can't speak to it.

    If you are getting the same error whether you use the installer or the
    zip extraction, I guess it isn't the installation.

    Have you tried different builds? Which builds are you installing?

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones
    Mozilla Champion

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2003
  6. On 10/12/2003 2:05 PM, Ray wrote:

    >Leonidas Jones <> wrote in news:S4fib.173485
    >$:
    >
    >[snip] Firebird, of course, is downloaded as a zip archive. You then
    >extract
    >

    >>the files to a location of your choice, usually C:\Program Files. The
    >>extraction then creates a subfolder to Program Files called
    >>MozillaFirebird. Of course, you could choose another location.
    >>
    >>Are you following all these steps?
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>

    >I used the zip archive the first time and the (unofficial) Windows
    >installer the last time. Firebird does open but crashes within a minute so
    >I don't think it is how I am installing it. The istalation does work well
    >enough to send a bug report home so the instalation doesn't seem to be the
    >problem.

    Did you - perchance - install to the same directory that you unzipped to
    (without first deleting the unzipped version)?

    --
    Irwin Greenwald
    Mozilla Champion

    Irwin Greenwald, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in

    [snip]
    > Have you tried different builds? Which builds are you installing?
    >
    > Lee

    Yes, two different builds about a month apart. I don't remember the number
    of the previous build (deleted the files when I couldn't get it to work)
    but the current build is 0.6.1 and as far as I know that's the one I have.
    As I said I used the installer. It didn't specifically say what version
    but I assume (yes, bad habit) it is the current one. I can't check Help
    because the buttons don't respond during the time before it crashes.

    Thank you all for your rplies.

    Ray, Oct 13, 2003
  8. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Irwin Greenwald <> wrote in

    [snip]
    > Did you - perchance - install to the same directory that you unzipped
    > to (without first deleting the unzipped version)?

    I used the installer this time. It installed it to program files. (Just to
    anticipate a possible question it is not in the same program folder as
    Mozilla.)

    Thank you for the reply.

    Ray, Oct 13, 2003
  9. Ray wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >>Have you tried different builds? Which builds are you installing?
    >>
    >>Lee

    > Yes, two different builds about a month apart. I don't remember the number
    > of the previous build (deleted the files when I couldn't get it to work)
    > but the current build is 0.6.1 and as far as I know that's the one I have.
    > As I said I used the installer. It didn't specifically say what version
    > but I assume (yes, bad habit) it is the current one. I can't check Help
    > because the buttons don't respond during the time before it crashes.
    >
    > Thank you all for your rplies.

    0.6.1 is the current release version. 0.7 should be out middle of next
    week.

    First of all, let me suggest not using the installer. I've never used
    it, and can't speak to any problems it may have.

    Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and remove Firebird, if it is
    there.

    Go to Program Files, and delete the Mozilla/Firebird folder.

    Go to Application data and remove the Phoenix folder.

    Backup any of these if you feel they have information you may need later.

    Paths to these directories vary with windows versions.

    This should remove any FB files on your system.

    Get a fresh copy of the zip archive and extract it. Lets see how that
    works.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 13, 2003
  10. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in

    > Ray wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>>Have you tried different builds? Which builds are you installing?
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >> Yes, two different builds about a month apart.

    [snip]

    > 0.6.1 is the current release version. 0.7 should be out middle of
    > next week.
    >
    > First of all, let me suggest not using the installer. I've never used
    > it, and can't speak to any problems it may have.
    >
    > Get a fresh copy of the zip archive and extract it. Lets see how that
    > works.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks Lee. I got it to work finally with a slight modification of your
    advice. I downloaded the latest nightly build instead of 0.6.1. I guess
    the "stable" version of 0.6.1 just wasn't compatable with my system.

    Ray, Oct 13, 2003
  11. Ray wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    >

    >>Ray wrote:
    >>
    >>>Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    >>>
    >>>[snip]

    >>>Yes, two different builds about a month apart.

    > [snip]
    >
    >>0.6.1 is the current release version. 0.7 should be out middle of
    >>next week.
    >>
    >>First of all, let me suggest not using the installer. I've never used
    >>it, and can't speak to any problems it may have.
    >>
    >>Get a fresh copy of the zip archive and extract it. Lets see how that
    >>works.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>

    > Thanks Lee. I got it to work finally with a slight modification of your
    > advice. I downloaded the latest nightly build instead of 0.6.1. I guess
    > the "stable" version of 0.6.1 just wasn't compatable with my system.

    Check the Help>>About Firebird. If it says Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7,
    its the release candidate for 0.7, probably will not change
    significantly when it is released, hopefully this week.

    Glad you've got it working, happy browsing!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 13, 2003