    bottom row has 4 pins, with the extra blank space to one side, not in
    the middle like the online pics show. Is there such a cable?

    , May 9, 2005

  2. birdman Guest

    Many comuter cases have front side USB or firewire ports.
    Modern motherboards have pinouts for USB cables to attach to these case
    ports. Not as many pc motherboards have pinouts for case mounted firewire
    ports.
    If you search on google you can find the cables to connect the motherboard
    to the case USB or firewire ports. I did this a year or so ago but I cannot
    remember where I got the cables from. There are only a few vendors, but the
    cables are inexpensive, generally less than $10.
    Your card reader should have a way to connect to a regular firewire port as
    opposed to the motherboard based pinout. I have a USB all in one, including
    floppy diskette, card reader in the form factor of floppy disc drive that
    can connect to the motherboard USB port or any regular USB port.
    Why not contact the manufacturer?

    birdman, May 9, 2005

  3. JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 17:18:27 -0700, gregf wrote:

    > I just bought an all-in-one card reader which as a firewire port. My
    > motherboard does not have a firewire plug. So I also bought a
    > firewire/usb card with external ports in the back. The card also has a
    > plug on the inside, 6 pin male connector, and the fire wire plug on the
    > inside of the card reader, which would normally connect to the MB has a
    > 9 pin plug. I'm trying to find a cable that will connect these 2, but
    > I'm not having any luck. I don't really know what it would be called or
    > if there's a name for these types of connections. I've looked at stores
    > online but the pictures of the 9 pin plug look like they would not
    > connect with what I'm seeing (the pins woulnd't match up) but it's hard
    > to tell with the pictures.
    > I don't know how else to describe it. It has one row of 5 pins, and the
    > bottom row has 4 pins, with the extra blank space to one side, not in
    > the middle like the online pics show. Is there such a cable?

    Check CyberGuys http://www.cyberguys.com/
    They have just about any cable you can think or the parts to make one if
    they don't.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, May 9, 2005