Finepix F10 Zoom ISO 1600?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terence, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Terence

    Terence Guest

    Terence, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Terence

    paul Guest

    Terence wrote:

    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05020802fuji_finepixf10z.asp
    >
    > I just read the above release on dpreview... does anyone else have any
    > additional details on this digicam? How can they achieve ISO 1600 on a
    > 1/1.7" CCD? Seems a little early for April Fool's jokes.

    From that link:
    "The newly-designed 6.3 megapixel Super CCD sensor features Fujifilm's
    trademark octagonal photodiodes, which act as more efficient light
    receptors than traditional CCD structures."

    The octagons pack tighter on the chip? The interpolation is better,
    every third pixel in most all digicams is R,G or B & they have to borrow
    from their neighbors to be given full color. The octagon has twice the
    number of close neighbors to borrow from so ought to perform better. I
    saw a good link explaining this the other day.

    paul, Feb 8, 2005

  3. In article <>, paul <>
    wrote:

    > Terence wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05020802fuji_finepixf10z.asp
    > >
    > > I just read the above release on dpreview... does anyone else have any
    > > additional details on this digicam? How can they achieve ISO 1600 on a
    > > 1/1.7" CCD? Seems a little early for April Fool's jokes.

    > From that link:
    > "The newly-designed 6.3 megapixel Super CCD sensor features Fujifilm's
    > trademark octagonal photodiodes, which act as more efficient light
    > receptors than traditional CCD structures."
    >
    > The octagons pack tighter on the chip? The interpolation is better,
    > every third pixel in most all digicams is R,G or B & they have to borrow
    > from their neighbors to be given full color. The octagon has twice the
    > number of close neighbors to borrow from so ought to perform better. I
    > saw a good link explaining this the other day.

    So then Fuji has reworked their "diamond shaped" sensor scam. Remember
    all those bogus 6MP cameras that only had 3M physical sensors? By
    rotating the grid 45 degrees, they can create a visual deception in
    their specifications showing closer spaced sensors. It's not true.
    Simple physics or a field test reveals the scam.

    Light hitting the sensor has no quantum dimensions. Each sensor has a
    lens over it. Whether the semiconductors are square, angled square,
    round, triangular, or octagonal makes absolutely no difference. The
    pixel count, resolving power, and the color neighbor count remain the
    same.

    Based on the quality of their previous cameras, I wouldn't expect much
    of Fuji's ISO 1600. Expect severe noise filtering damage.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 9, 2005