    camera? On Fujifilm website they have a PDF about xD compatibility but
    I did not find this particular model in there. Thanks.....
    , Jun 7, 2006

  2. ASAAR Guest

    On 7 Jun 2006 15:21:02 -0700, wrote:

    > Hey All,
    > Does anyone know what the largest xD card I can use in this model of
    > camera? On Fujifilm website they have a PDF about xD compatibility but
    > I did not find this particular model in there. Thanks.....

    What's interesting about the xD compatibility PDF file is that it
    shows that any camera using xD cards should be compatible with all
    sizes from 16MB to 512MB. That might be why the 3800 isn't listed,
    since it was one of the first cameras to switch from Smartmedia to
    xD cards in 2002, so it may have been produced before the xD cards
    design (at least for the larger sizes) had been finalized, and isn't
    compatible with large cards. Fuji had this to say on their website:

    > Question
    > As long as I have the right format, can I use any size card I want?
    >
    > Answer
    > It depends. Some devices will be able to recognize the cards that were
    > available when they were manufactured. For example, it is possible that
    > if a device was made when 64MB was the largest card available, it may not
    > recognize a 128MB card. If larger cards don't work, check with the
    > manufacturer of the device to see if there are any firmware updates that
    > will allow you to utilize these cards. If there aren't, you will be limited to
    > whatever the largest capacity card is that the device recognizes.

    That said, see what card sizes are listed in your manual. This
    isn't the last word, since I'm using 1GB cards in my Fuji S5100, and
    the manual only mentions sizes up to 512MB. For what it's worth,
    one review at DCResource lists sizes up to 64MB for the 3800, but
    another review at Steve's Digicams lists sizes up to 128MB.

    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/fuji_3800_pg2.html
    >
    > xD-Card Size/number of images (Resolution):
    >
    > 128MB card = 997 (0.3M), 398 (1M), 319 (2M), 215 (3M-N), 102 (3M-F)
    > 32MB card = 247 (0.3M), 99 (1M), 79 (2M), 53 (3M-N), 25 (3M-F)

    If I had a 3800, I wouldn't get anything larger than 128MB for it
    unless I had a lot of time to test larger cards. It's possible that
    a 256MB card might appear to work for the first few shots, but the
    3800 could end up corrupting the image files as more shots are saved
    to the card.
    ASAAR, Jun 8, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the posting. The problem is I dont have the camera to buy
    the cards and test it on them. I am doing this for my parents who dont
    know which card to put in. I have also posted the Q on Fujifilm website
    and I will wait for their reply otherwise I will use your advise on
    this and use nothing bigger than 128MB xD card.
    Once again thanks...
    ASAAR wrote:
    > On 7 Jun 2006 15:21:02 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > > Hey All,
    > > Does anyone know what the largest xD card I can use in this model of
    > > camera? On Fujifilm website they have a PDF about xD compatibility but
    > > I did not find this particular model in there. Thanks.....

    > What's interesting about the xD compatibility PDF file is that it
    > shows that any camera using xD cards should be compatible with all
    > sizes from 16MB to 512MB. That might be why the 3800 isn't listed,
    > since it was one of the first cameras to switch from Smartmedia to
    > xD cards in 2002, so it may have been produced before the xD cards
    > design (at least for the larger sizes) had been finalized, and isn't
    > compatible with large cards. Fuji had this to say on their website:
    >
    > > Question
    > > As long as I have the right format, can I use any size card I want?
    > >
    > > Answer
    > > It depends. Some devices will be able to recognize the cards that were
    > > available when they were manufactured. For example, it is possible that
    > > if a device was made when 64MB was the largest card available, it may not
    > > recognize a 128MB card. If larger cards don't work, check with the
    > > manufacturer of the device to see if there are any firmware updates that
    > > will allow you to utilize these cards. If there aren't, you will be limited to
    > > whatever the largest capacity card is that the device recognizes.

    > That said, see what card sizes are listed in your manual. This
    > isn't the last word, since I'm using 1GB cards in my Fuji S5100, and
    > the manual only mentions sizes up to 512MB. For what it's worth,
    > one review at DCResource lists sizes up to 64MB for the 3800, but
    > another review at Steve's Digicams lists sizes up to 128MB.
    >
    > > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/fuji_3800_pg2.html
    > >
    > > xD-Card Size/number of images (Resolution):
    > >
    > > 128MB card = 997 (0.3M), 398 (1M), 319 (2M), 215 (3M-N), 102 (3M-F)
    > > 32MB card = 247 (0.3M), 99 (1M), 79 (2M), 53 (3M-N), 25 (3M-F)

    > If I had a 3800, I wouldn't get anything larger than 128MB for it
    > unless I had a lot of time to test larger cards. It's possible that
    > a 256MB card might appear to work for the first few shots, but the
    > 3800 could end up corrupting the image files as more shots are saved
    > to the card.
    , Jun 8, 2006