    I can't see scandisk. Is it called "disk cleanup" in XP please? (All
    programs - acessories - system tools - disk cleanup)

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 7, 2009

  2. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > I can't see scandisk. Is it called "disk cleanup" in XP please? (All
    > programs - acessories - system tools - disk cleanup)

    Why do you want to run it Geo?

    EMB, May 7, 2009

  3. Geopelia

    Me Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > I can't see scandisk. Is it called "disk cleanup" in XP please? (All
    > programs - acessories - system tools - disk cleanup)
    >
    > Geopelia

    If you right-click on a hard disk in explorer or my computer, select
    "Properties", then "Tools", there's a button to "Check Now for errors".
    There's no "Scandisk" in XP. It's been replaced by chkdsk that you can
    run from the command line or as above (there are other ways to get to
    it, but that's the easiest).

    If you run it (either way) with it set to fix file errors/bad sectors,
    it will prompt you to ask if you want it to run next time windows
    starts, as it can't perform those tasks on a "mounted" hard drive, and
    it can't "unmount" the drive that the OS is on while windows is running.
    (it can "unmount" and check other hard drives if you have them)

    With big hard drives these days, be prepared for a very long wait if you
    select the "scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors" option. Might be
    best to let it run overnight, as your computer could be out of action
    for hours while it's running.

    Me, May 7, 2009
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I can't see scandisk. Is it called "disk cleanup" in XP please? (All
    >> programs - acessories - system tools - disk cleanup)
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > If you right-click on a hard disk in explorer or my computer, select
    > "Properties", then "Tools", there's a button to "Check Now for errors".
    > There's no "Scandisk" in XP. It's been replaced by chkdsk that you can
    > run from the command line or as above (there are other ways to get to it,
    > but that's the easiest).
    >
    > If you run it (either way) with it set to fix file errors/bad sectors, it
    > will prompt you to ask if you want it to run next time windows starts, as
    > it can't perform those tasks on a "mounted" hard drive, and it can't
    > "unmount" the drive that the OS is on while windows is running. (it can
    > "unmount" and check other hard drives if you have them)
    >
    > With big hard drives these days, be prepared for a very long wait if you
    > select the "scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors" option. Might be
    > best to let it run overnight, as your computer could be out of action for
    > hours while it's running.

    I used to run it in Windows ME. It looks very complicated in XP, I think
    I'll
    leave it alone!

    Thank you

    Geopelia, May 7, 2009
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:4a0333e6$...
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I can't see scandisk. Is it called "disk cleanup" in XP please? (All
    >> programs - acessories - system tools - disk cleanup)

    > Why do you want to run it Geo?

    I thought it might be a good idea. But I don't think anything is wrong.

    Geopelia, May 7, 2009
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Reg" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 May 2009 01:42:29 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I can't see scandisk. Is it called "disk cleanup" in XP please? (All
    >>programs - acessories - system tools - disk cleanup)
    >>
    >>Geopelia
    >>

    > http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/scandisk.htm
    > " This one took some real thought over at the Microsoft campus on how
    > to make things simple..."

    Too "simple" for the simple minded folks like me!
    Thank you.

    Geopelia, May 7, 2009
  7. In message <gtvn13$30u$>, Me wrote:

    > Might be best to let it run overnight, as your computer could be out of
    > action for hours while it's running.

    Why should it take that long? I've done a badblocks scan of a 750GB drive,
    and that only took about three hours. Geo's not likely to have anything that
    large...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 8, 2009
  8. Geopelia

    Me Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gtvn13$30u$>, Me wrote:
    >
    >> Might be best to let it run overnight, as your computer could be out of
    >> action for hours while it's running.

    > Why should it take that long? I've done a badblocks scan of a 750GB drive,
    > and that only took about three hours. Geo's not likely to have anything that
    > large...

    If you're happy waiting for hours, then great.
    I don't know how large Geo's disk is - do you?

    Me, May 8, 2009
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <gtvn13$30u$>, Me wrote:
    >>
    >>> Might be best to let it run overnight, as your computer could be out of
    >>> action for hours while it's running.

    >> Why should it take that long? I've done a badblocks scan of a 750GB
    >> drive, and that only took about three hours. Geo's not likely to have
    >> anything that large...
    >>

    > If you're happy waiting for hours, then great.
    > I don't know how large Geo's disk is - do you?

    I don't either, but I expect I've got the information on the computer
    somewhere.
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, May 8, 2009
  10. In article <gtvoqo$1e4$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >"Reg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 8 May 2009 01:42:29 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I can't see scandisk. Is it called "disk cleanup" in XP please? (All
    >>>programs - acessories - system tools - disk cleanup)

    >> http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/scandisk.htm
    >> " This one took some real thought over at the Microsoft campus on how
    >> to make things simple..."

    >Too "simple" for the simple minded folks like me!

    I doubt that :)

    I do think that many things have been 'simplified' these days by hiding what
    they do and what is really happening. Does this aid understanding in any way
    ? No. It's fine if there's not a problem ... but at the first sign of
    trouble, that sort of simplification is unhelpful. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 18, 2009