    to do? Any advice from fellow Microsoft professionals would be greatly
    appreciated. I quit working to achieve my goals with MS, and now I need to
    find work and FAST. Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VzIEFybm9sZA==?=, Oct 6, 2007

  2. "Wes Arnold" <Wes > wrote in message
    news::

    > I was wondering if anyone could offer some input for me please. I recently
    > completed my MCSE 2003 certification, and for the last 2 months or so have
    > been trying to acquire some sort of entry level admin or tech position to get
    > my foot in the door so I can prove myself and display my talents. For
    > whatever reason I am not receiving hardly any feedback from anyone. I have
    > applied to a ridiculous amount of positions here in Charlotte, NC, and
    > nothing. Should I be looking for specifics? Is there something else I need
    > to do? Any advice from fellow Microsoft professionals would be greatly
    > appreciated. I quit working to achieve my goals with MS, and now I need to
    > find work and FAST. Thanks!

    http://certguard.com/articles.asp?articleID=14
    http://certguard.com/articles.asp?articleID=9

    In short, it is great you earned your MCSE 2003. But by your own
    admission; you have no experience. Currently you have invested in a
    piece of paper. Certifications are meant to validate experience. They
    are not meant to achieve and THEN get experience. You are claiming that
    you are an experienced Systems Engineer for Microsoft Server 2003
    technology. Keep plugging away with your job search. I do hope someone
    gives you an opportunity to prove yourself and display your talents. But
    without experience, it may be a long road.

    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Oct 6, 2007

  3. So then explain this to me. How does someone gain a position in networking
    without establishing some sort of training in the field? I have a degree in
    Computer Engineering which has done me aboslutely squat. I've tried to apply
    for work with that, and time and time again employers would tell me they are
    looking for someone with certs. So I go and get them, and now you tell me I
    should have experience and validate that with the certs. What this is
    telling me is that I should have been able to obtain a position without ANY
    previous experience or education first and then use further education to
    prove what I've physically done? Are you saying that I had a better chance
    to land the job with ZERO credentials? Listen, I'm not looking for a
    full-blown Admin or Engineering job. I agree I don't have the working
    experience. What I'm looking for is an entry level position such as a tech
    job or even a paid internship so that I can apply the knowledge I've gained.
    See knowledge is the key t o all things. Once given a chance to get in the
    door, I can guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt I stand to do nothing but
    impress. I don't care where I have to start. I'm just looking to start
    somewhere. If there is any validity to your response, then the IT field in
    general does not make sense. I met numerous people at the Training Center
    who came in from high-end financial and IT companies who had postions in IT
    and were being sent in for their A+! Come on, but that's a joke. I've been
    working on boxes for over 15 years. I can pretty much do anything with my
    eyes closed. So if these people can obtain work, so can I. Not to mention
    those who come in with Admin titles looking to obtain their MCSA/MCSE who
    come to find out how much they really never knew. This is knowledge that I
    now possess prior to the work force. Seems like a better acquisition for any
    company. Lastly, I have to add that while obtaining these certs, I found
    myself assisting the "proven" professionals with questions and answers in
    relation to their studies. I became a great help to the training center in
    respect to these specializations.

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VzIEFybm9sZA==?=, Oct 6, 2007
  4. It's a lot like trying to get your first credit card. :)

    You say you live in Charolette eh? Shot me an email. I live in the
    Greensboro area and I have contacts with several recruiters in the area. I'd
    be more than happy to send you to one or two of them for something entry
    level. I don't check the gmail account listed on this post everyday, so it
    may be a few days till I get back to you but please feel free to send your
    contac info and I'll see what I can do.

    Good luck, and congrats on the cert.

    --
    ..rev

    accepting it"
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], Oct 8, 2007
  5. First of all, congratulations on your Server 2003 certifications!

    You know, for a lot of people, getting that first job in IT is really tough.
    I write specifically on this subject for Certification Magazine and we get
    questions about this all the time. There is no doubt about it, you have
    conflicting opinions out there on how to get into IT. It used to be in the
    90s that if you had a certification, you were in. Its not that simple
    anymore.

    My advice?

    Get the certifications (check!).
    Build the experience.

    In the short term, dont be afraid of contract work and recruiters.
    Aggressively pursue contract opportunities. Sure, its not the permanent job
    that we would all love to have right out of college but right now experience
    is key in the post-dot-com-bust era. You can use a series of contract
    opportunities to earn a little bit of money per contract (even though the
    benefits may be non existant) but more importantly to boost a series of
    enterprise-class jobs that hone your skills and put you in a position to gain
    the critical experience you need. Often, because many more established
    technologists avoid contract work, the bar to get into an initial set of work
    with them is lower and they are more readily able to consider entry-level
    talent.

    You also need to be realistic. A degree and couple of certifications isnt
    going to move you into a job making 75k right away when the average entry
    level salary is still in the low 40's.
    --
    Wayne Anderson

    =?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUgQW5kZXJzb24=?=, Oct 8, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?V2VzIEFybm9sZA==?=

    David Brown Guest

    Hello Wes,

    A lot of our guys came in through tech placement services like Robert-Half.
    I've never used them myself, but it could save some time and stress. I
    think they also help with resume and interview skills.

    In the mean time, treat job-hunting as the career. Smile, meet, shake hands,
    follow every lead, send every resume. Pretty soon you'll work yourself out
    of that job and into one you want.

    David Brown, Nov 7, 2007
  7. Contract Work... take Entry level Desktop support, in field site support,
    anything to get in the door!

    =?Utf-8?B?RVFOaXNo?=, Nov 14, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?V2VzIEFybm9sZA==?=

    nerry

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Hey Rev, I am considering moving to the Greensboro area. How's the IT industry there as far as entry-level goes? I have a contact with Gilbarco Veeder-Root so I may peruse that opportunity

    nerry, Nov 14, 2007