    Is there a way to find the parent of an article (either in threads mode
    or not)?

    Larry

    Larry Spitz, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Larry Spitz

    Moz Champion Guest

    Larry Spitz wrote:
    > Is there a way to find the parent of an article (either in threads mode
    > or not)?
    >
    > Larry

    Parent? Sure, just use View-->Threads-->All
    and the 'parent' article is the first in the thread

    Caveats: This assumes that the parent article (the one that started the
    thread) is still available on the server of course, if it has expired
    then the earliest message (non expired) will be the 'parent' for the thread.

    Moz Champion, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Larry Spitz

    Danny Colyer Guest

    It's even easier to find if you mark one message in the thread as
    unread, then use View-->Threads-->Threads with Unread

    > Caveats: This assumes that the parent article (the one that started the
    > thread) is still available on the server of course, if it has expired
    > then the earliest message (non expired) will be the 'parent' for the thread.

    It also assumes that it was posted within the time limit in your TB
    settings - for example, I delete anything more than 2 weeks old, so I
    wouldn't find a 3 week old message. In which case, Larry, Google is
    your friend:
    <URL:http://groups.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en>

    Danny Colyer, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Larry Spitz

    MLC Guest

    venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:

    > Larry Spitz wrote:
    >> Is there a way to find the parent of an article (either in threads mode
    >> or not)?

    >> Larry

    > Parent? Sure, just use View-->Threads-->All
    > and the 'parent' article is the first in the thread

    > Caveats: This assumes that the parent article (the one that started the
    > thread) is still available on the server of course, if it has expired
    > then the earliest message (non expired) will be the 'parent' for the thread.

    Uhm, no, the parent of an article is that one to which the article is a
    response. For this my article, the parent is your article I'm replying to.

    In Dialog we have a shortcut (Shift-Ctrl-P) for it. If in Thunderbird there
    isn't one, I suppose it can be always used the old method to show the
    headers and then click on the last Message-Id of the References header.
    --
    Maria Luisa C - 12/08/2005 14.09.45
    Never judge a book by its movie.

    MLC, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Larry Spitz

    Moz Champion Guest

    MLC wrote:
    > venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:
    >

    >>Larry Spitz wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there a way to find the parent of an article (either in threads mode
    >>>or not)?

    >>>Larry

    >>Parent? Sure, just use View-->Threads-->All
    >>and the 'parent' article is the first in the thread

    >>Caveats: This assumes that the parent article (the one that started the
    >>thread) is still available on the server of course, if it has expired
    >>then the earliest message (non expired) will be the 'parent' for the thread.

    > Uhm, no, the parent of an article is that one to which the article is a
    > response. For this my article, the parent is your article I'm replying to.
    >
    > In Dialog we have a shortcut (Shift-Ctrl-P) for it. If in Thunderbird there
    > isn't one, I suppose it can be always used the old method to show the
    > headers and then click on the last Message-Id of the References header.

    Well, view threaded then!
    the 'parent' message is the one above the one you are reading
    Thats what threaded view is for, it shows all the messages and which
    followed which.

    Moz Champion, Aug 12, 2005
  6. Larry Spitz

    MLC Guest

    venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:

    > MLC wrote:
    >> venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:

    >>>Parent? Sure, just use View-->Threads-->All
    >>>and the 'parent' article is the first in the thread

    >>>Caveats: This assumes that the parent article (the one that started the
    >>>thread) is still available on the server of course, if it has expired
    >>>then the earliest message (non expired) will be the 'parent' for the thread.

    >> Uhm, no, the parent of an article is that one to which the article is a
    >> response. For this my article, the parent is your article I'm replying to.

    >> In Dialog we have a shortcut (Shift-Ctrl-P) for it. If in Thunderbird there
    >> isn't one, I suppose it can be always used the old method to show the
    >> headers and then click on the last Message-Id of the References header.

    > Well, view threaded then!
    > the 'parent' message is the one above the one you are reading
    > Thats what threaded view is for, it shows all the messages and which
    > followed which.

    No again! :)
    Also in a threaded view the parent of a message can be several messages
    above it.

    I'm viewing threaded, in fact my ordered view is by Thread, Score, Date.
    --
    Maria Luisa C - 12/08/2005 21.27.19
    Sherlock Holmes NEVER said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."

    MLC, Aug 12, 2005
  7. Larry Spitz

    Moz Champion Guest

    MLC wrote:
    > venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:
    >

    >>MLC wrote:

    >>>Uhm, no, the parent of an article is that one to which the article is a
    >>>response. For this my article, the parent is your article I'm replyingto.

    >>>In Dialog we have a shortcut (Shift-Ctrl-P) for it. If in Thunderbird there
    >>>isn't one, I suppose it can be always used the old method to show the
    >>>headers and then click on the last Message-Id of the References header.

    >>Well, view threaded then!
    >>the 'parent' message is the one above the one you are reading
    >>Thats what threaded view is for, it shows all the messages and which
    >>followed which.

    > No again! :)
    > Also in a threaded view the parent of a message can be several messages
    > above it.
    >
    > I'm viewing threaded, in fact my ordered view is by Thread, Score, Date.

    In Thunderbird, each message is threaded directly below the message it
    is in reply to. Example 1
    this message is directly underneath YOUR message, hence your message is
    its 'parent' in your vernacular.

    See next message for Example 2

    Moz Champion, Aug 12, 2005
  8. Larry Spitz

    Moz Champion Guest

    MLC wrote:
    > venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:
    >

    >>MLC wrote:

    >>>Uhm, no, the parent of an article is that one to which the article is a
    >>>response. For this my article, the parent is your article I'm replyingto.

    >>>In Dialog we have a shortcut (Shift-Ctrl-P) for it. If in Thunderbird there
    >>>isn't one, I suppose it can be always used the old method to show the
    >>>headers and then click on the last Message-Id of the References header.

    >>Well, view threaded then!
    >>the 'parent' message is the one above the one you are reading
    >>Thats what threaded view is for, it shows all the messages and which
    >>followed which.

    > No again! :)
    > Also in a threaded view the parent of a message can be several messages
    > above it.
    >
    > I'm viewing threaded, in fact my ordered view is by Thread, Score, Date.

    This is Example 2.

    Note how this message is again directly underneath yours (its 'parent'
    in your vernaculer) even tho there are several messages between them

    Moz Champion, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Larry Spitz

    Moz Champion Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > MLC wrote:
    >
    >> venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:

    >>> Well, view threaded then!
    >>> the 'parent' message is the one above the one you are reading
    >>> Thats what threaded view is for, it shows all the messages and which
    >>> followed which.

    >> No again! :)
    >> Also in a threaded view the parent of a message can be several messages
    >> above it.
    >>
    >> I'm viewing threaded, in fact my ordered view is by Thread, Score, Date.

    > In Thunderbird, each message is threaded directly below the message it
    > is in reply to. Example 1
    > this message is directly underneath YOUR message, hence your message is
    > its 'parent' in your vernacular.
    >
    > See next message for Example 2

    This is to illustrate how threading works.
    Note that since this is a reply to my post, it will be directly
    underneath my post, even tho its made at a later time than Example 2.
    Note how Example 2 is still lined up directly underneath its 'parent'
    (your vernacular) even tho this message is listed above it.

    Moz Champion, Aug 12, 2005
  10. Larry Spitz

    MLC Guest

    venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:

    > MLC wrote:
    >> venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:

    >>>Well, view threaded then!
    >>>the 'parent' message is the one above the one you are reading
    >>>Thats what threaded view is for, it shows all the messages and which
    >>>followed which.

    >> No again! :)
    >> Also in a threaded view the parent of a message can be several messages
    >> above it.
    >>
    >> I'm viewing threaded, in fact my ordered view is by Thread, Score, Date.

    > This is Example 2.

    > Note how this message is again directly underneath yours (its 'parent'
    > in your vernaculer) even tho there are several messages between them

    First, it's not 'my vernacular' but it's the terminology used by
    newsreaders for the navigation among articles. If it were 'my vernacular',
    Larry Spitz wouldn't have used it, don't you think?

    Second, you said:
    /the 'parent' message is _the one above the one_ you are reading/
    which isn't correct and I replied to that.

    Now instead of admittitng your error, or your ignorance of the meaning of
    the word 'parent' in a newsreader context, you teach to me how the messages
    thread? and at last say:
    /even tho there are several messages between them/
    that is what I replied to you.

    --
    Maria Luisa C - 12/08/2005 22.26.54
    War doesn't determine who's right, but who's left.

    MLC, Aug 12, 2005
  11. Larry Spitz

    Moz Champion Guest

    MLC wrote:
    > venerdì 12 agosto 2005 Moz Champion ha scritto:
    >

    >>MLC wrote:

    >>>No again! :)
    >>>Also in a threaded view the parent of a message can be several messages
    >>>above it.
    >>>
    >>>I'm viewing threaded, in fact my ordered view is by Thread, Score, Date.

    >>This is Example 2.

    >>Note how this message is again directly underneath yours (its 'parent'
    >>in your vernaculer) even tho there are several messages between them

    > First, it's not 'my vernacular' but it's the terminology used by
    > newsreaders for the navigation among articles. If it were 'my vernacular',
    > Larry Spitz wouldn't have used it, don't you think?
    >
    > Second, you said:
    > /the 'parent' message is _the one above the one_ you are reading/
    > which isn't correct and I replied to that.
    >
    > Now instead of admittitng your error, or your ignorance of the meaning of
    > the word 'parent' in a newsreader context, you teach to me how the messages
    > thread? and at last say:
    > /even tho there are several messages between them/
    > that is what I replied to you.

    I wouldnt say whether 'parent' is the most correct notation for what we
    are discussing or not. I didnt make ANY judgement on the issue, I simply
    said it was YOUR vernaculer usage, not mine.

    The 'parent' message is still above the one you are reading, so why do
    you call it incorrect?

    Regardless, you are now arguing over semantics. The original question
    has been answered. To find the 'parent' (your vernacular) then go to the
    messge above and not inset any further but rather one more out

    Moz Champion, Aug 12, 2005