finding MSN IP address

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. William Hamilton wrote:
    > What they are after is to know if the person they are getting a message
    > from is in their office or dialed up via ISP. Yup checking up on staff
    > :) Are there any apps to do checking like this? I found a bunch of LAN
    > monitoring tools but that was it.

    I believe that some of the third party MSN clients will give you the IP
    of the person sending the message... from memory Trillian Pro used to do
    this, but that was an age and a half ago

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    William Hamilton, Jan 15, 2004

  3. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    me here Guest

    William Hamilton wrote:
    > Hi all. I had a client ask me if they can fnd the addrss of where a MSN
    > Messenger message came from. I do not know much about MSN so voila here
    > I am.
    >
    > What they are after is to know if the person they are getting a message
    > from is in their office or dialed up via ISP. Yup checking up on staff
    > :) Are there any apps to do checking like this? I found a bunch of LAN
    > monitoring tools but that was it.
    >
    > TIA

    There is software that can be installed on a PC to log user activity
    such as MSN, YAHOO, etc. Had to do this for a client. The log was
    written to a netwoek location and the employer had a quick glance every
    day and went to the employee with a weeks worth of logs.

    A google search with the words: "record user" msn computer
    gives some good results.

    Not an ideal situation for an employer but sometimes it has to be done.

    HTH

    Gavin

    me here, Jan 15, 2004
  4. On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:37:58 +1200, William Hamilton
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all. I had a client ask me if they can fnd the addrss of where a MSN
    >Messenger message came from. I do not know much about MSN so voila
    >here I am.

    According to my firewall, when I am online on MSN and chatting to
    people, my PC is only connected to two servers at *.msgr.hotmail.com -
    obviously all messages are filtered directly through them.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jan 15, 2004
  5. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:47:21 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >I believe that some of the third party MSN clients will give you the IP
    >of the person sending the message... from memory Trillian Pro used to do
    >this, but that was an age and a half ago

    Yep...still does.

    Dogg, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Dogg wrote:
    >>I believe that some of the third party MSN clients will give you the IP
    >>of the person sending the message... from memory Trillian Pro used to do
    >>this, but that was an age and a half ago

    > Yep...still does.

    Does the amature version show it too?

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz