    files? I am using Win XP.

    ta,
    Eugene
    eugene, May 30, 2004

  2. eugene

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message
    news:c9b9dh$8s1$...
    > I am photographer and I have thousands of photos on my PC. Thig is, there
    > are many duplications because sometimes I make special folders for

    different
    > categories and things tend to get duplicated or more quite often. So, what

    > want to know is, is there a way of searching for and removing duplicate
    > files? I am using Win XP.

    Yes.

    Oh - wait, did you want *more*?
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

    Try Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 363,000 for find and delete duplicate
    files. (0.61 seconds
    DeDupe : Duplicate File Finder for Windows ... and increasing the hard disk
    space by deleting or compressing ... Searching of duplicate files are made
    by selecting any one of the ... Find Duplicates At Level Chosen ...
    www.cellarstone.com/dedupe.htm - Similar pages

    Check Identical Files: a duplicate file finder to find and delete ... 'Check
    Identical Files' helps you find and delete duplicate files on your disk in a
    snap. You can select the duplicates and put ...
    www.abc-view.com/cif.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

    Got it?
    Toolman Tim, May 30, 2004

  3. eugene

    °Mike° Guest

    There is no foolproof way of identifying duplicate
    files, particularly image files, since even the slightest
    adjustment or edit will make an otherwise (to the
    human eye) identical image seem like a different
    file to a bit-by-bit scrutiny. On top of that, most
    software does a pretty poor job of (correctly)
    identifying true duplicates; you risk losing that
    masterpiece. You really should get into the habit
    of using *strict* naming and filing conventions.

    Short term, you should copy your entire image
    folder structure, preferably to another partition,
    to use as a test for finding those duplicates.
    You need an application that does a binary
    comparision, NOT one that checks by name
    and size alone.

    I've never tried it, but it's worth checking out:
    Duplicate File Finder
    http://www.funduc.com/dupfiles.htm

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 00:21:06 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c9b9dh$8s1$>
    eugene scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 30, 2004
  4. eugene

    one_red_eye Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message
    > I am photographer and I have thousands of photos on my PC. Thig is, there
    > are many duplications because sometimes I make special folders for

    different
    > categories and things tend to get duplicated or more quite often. So, what

    > want to know is, is there a way of searching for and removing duplicate
    > files? I am using Win XP.

    Google for it.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=search for duplicate files

    --
    Despite the high cost of living,
    it remains popular.
    one_red_eye, May 30, 2004
  5. eugene

    D Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message
    > I am photographer and I have thousands of photos on my PC. Thig is, there
    > are many duplications because sometimes I make special folders for

    different
    > categories and things tend to get duplicated or more quite often. So, what

    > want to know is, is there a way of searching for and removing duplicate
    > files? I am using Win XP.
    >
    > ta,
    > Eugene

    http://www.webattack.com/get/dupdetect.html

    "Dup Detector finds duplicate and near duplicate images by opening and
    reading image pixel data. The program is easy to use, just specify the path
    and start the scan. You can specify a match percentage that is required to
    consider the image a duplicate and preview all found dups side by side with
    an option to delete either one."
    D, May 30, 2004
  6. eugene

    RBF Guest

    Try Odin II.
    http://www.omegatron.nl/
    -------------------------------------

    RBF, May 30, 2004
  7. I had the same problem. I used Check Indentical Files 2.12 and it worked
    flawlessly.

    I had over 20,000 graphics that had been compiled over the years and I
    needed something to identify pictures I had duplicated. This program
    worked great, even if the pictures are renamed.

    It is well worth the $20USD. At least it was to me....;o)

    "eugene" <> chiseled in stone, the following
    words news:c9b9dh$8s1$:

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 30, 2004