Finding a School

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by eelder1@gmail.com, Oct 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Having worked for a stinker school, Here are some of the things you
    should loook for in a computer training.

    1. Does the school have national or regional acrediation? if they do
    not, they will not have acess to Federal Title IV funding for student
    grants and loans.

    2. What do the facilities look like. If they are all plain jane class
    rooms or multi-purpose rooms, go somewhere else. You should see
    routers, hubs, switches, rolls of cable, modems, etc. Ask the
    admissions person to open any locker or storage areas to see if they
    contian IT equipment, If not, find another school or you'll be taught
    out of a book.

    3. Find out how long the classes are. Most labs are least 4-5 hours and
    you receive at least 24 classes. Watch out for quick train companies.

    4. Find out what books the school use. They should be issueing both a
    text book and a lab book.

    5. Check the teacher's credentials. They should have at least a
    bacheleor's degree and some experience in IT. Avoid the academic
    teacher who has no IT experience or the 12 week wonder who is certified
    but has never worked in IT or taught.

    7. Look for overhead projectors. They should be present in the room or
    mobile ones should be in the school.

    8. Ask if the school provides tutoring assistance.

    9. Ask if the instructor provides hand outs and study materials at the
    end of each class. Ask what sort of certifcation preperation the school
    provides.

    10. Try to find out what percentage of students have been certified at
    the school. You may get a blank look when you ask this question.

    11. Also ask about job placement services. Schools are reguired to help
    you find a job. If they don't, they can get into trouble with the State
    Department of Education. They should also help you with your resume.

    You won't need luck to get certified if you find the right school. Take
    your time and find a good one.
    , Oct 12, 2006

  2. JohnO Guest

    I might add: What is the ratio of hands-on to theory?

    How many students per computer during the labs?

    -John O
    JohnO, Oct 12, 2006

  3. Tom Miller Guest

    Some schools offer a "guaranteed pass the certification" in their contracts.
    One is "New Horizon Learning Centers" a francise outfit. Their guarantee is
    based on you passing the practice exams from a major preperation outfit that
    has the same guarantee.

    Tom

    Tom Miller, Oct 18, 2006