    inexpensively, perhaps a photography student or hobbiest.

    Can anyone suggest a good directory (on or offline) of talented amateur
    photographers, or suggest how I might go about finding the right person?
    Maw888, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Maw888

    Skip M Guest

    craigslist.com is a good place to start, put an ad there asking for what you
    want.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    "Maw888" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm looking for a skilled amateur photographer based in Los Angeles

    that
    > will be able to do occasional fashion product shots for a website I run.

    Our

    Skip M, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Maw888

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, maw888@aol.
    comnospam says...

    >Hi, I'm looking for a skilled amateur photographer based in Los Angeles that
    >will be able to do occasional fashion product shots for a website I run. Our
    >budget is limited, so we're trying to find someone that will work
    >inexpensively, perhaps a photography student or hobbiest.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a good directory (on or offline) of talented amateur
    >photographers, or suggest how I might go about finding the right person?

    You might want to contact the local ASMP [American Society of Media
    Photographers] chapter and have a look at their "assistant's list." Most of
    these folk are very serious photographers, who are just starting out. Most
    would be highly qualified to do the work you describe, and at much lower rates
    than their employers can, or will. For many, it could be a portfolio building
    experience, however, these folk will not be "hobbyests," but trained
    professionals, with less experience and equipment. Expect to pay decent rates,
    but less than, say I would charge for the same project.

    You will be dealing with professionals, and the end result should show that
    attention to detail, and quality.

    Beyond that, you might contact art-school classes, or just put an
    advertisement up in major photo shops, rental darkroom/studio facilities, and
    take your chances.

    Good luck,
    Hunt
    Hunt, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Maw888 wrote:
    > Hi, I'm looking for a skilled amateur photographer ...
    > someone that will work inexpensively

    Conflict in terms. If they are amateur they don't get paid. If they
    get paid, even "inexpensively" they are professionals. :)

    About the only suggestion I can make would be local camera clubs and or
    local schools. Even schools without photo programs may have clubs. You may
    even find a high-school student you knows their stuff.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Maw888

    GT40 Guest

    On 03 Oct 2004 15:37:39 GMT, ospam (Maw888) wrote:

    >Hi, I'm looking for a skilled amateur photographer based in Los Angeles that
    >will be able to do occasional fashion product shots for a website I run. Our
    >budget is limited, so we're trying to find someone that will work
    >inexpensively, perhaps a photography student or hobbiest.

    Try a photography school, or college student in a photography class.

    Or find some professionals and see what the charge, remmeber they are
    professional for a reason, great images.
    GT40, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Maw888

    Maw888 Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. The ASMP looks like a good resource.

    This is the first time I'm hiring a photographer. Are there any ballpark
    figures as far as hourly rates for photography students/assistants on a
    part-time basis (maybe 5-10 hours a week)? I know it would vary a lot by the
    individual, but what would be a reasonable range? Are they usually paid hourly
    or by the job? Also, do they typically get reimbursed for expenses (commuting,
    etc.), or are their rates usually all inclusive? If we can commit to giving
    them regular work (e.g. a 6 month contract), how flexible would most
    photographers be on their rates (compared to a one-time project)?

    We need product shots of women's fashion (garments, handbags, etc.), ideally on
    a white background, but not necessarily. They need to be professional-looking,
    but not studio/magazine quality. Can these easily be done on location with
    portable lighting that most photographers would be likely to already have?
    Maw888, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Maw888

    Clyde Guest

    Maw888 wrote:
    > Hi, I'm looking for a skilled amateur photographer based in Los Angeles that
    > will be able to do occasional fashion product shots for a website I run. Our
    > budget is limited, so we're trying to find someone that will work
    > inexpensively, perhaps a photography student or hobbiest.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a good directory (on or offline) of talented amateur
    > photographers, or suggest how I might go about finding the right person?

    Ha! In this group? No, we just argue camera specs. We don't actually
    photograph anything. Sorry. ;-)

    Clyde
    Clyde, Oct 3, 2004
  8. Maw888

    GT40 Guest

    On 03 Oct 2004 20:44:21 GMT, ospam (Maw888) wrote:

    >Thanks for the suggestions. The ASMP looks like a good resource.
    >
    >This is the first time I'm hiring a photographer. Are there any ballpark
    >figures as far as hourly rates for photography students/assistants on a
    >part-time basis (maybe 5-10 hours a week)? I know it would vary a lot by the
    >individual, but what would be a reasonable range? Are they usually paid hourly
    >or by the job? Also, do they typically get reimbursed for expenses (commuting,
    >etc.), or are their rates usually all inclusive? If we can commit to giving
    >them regular work (e.g. a 6 month contract), how flexible would most
    >photographers be on their rates (compared to a one-time project)?

    Depends what you agree to on the contract.

    >We need product shots of women's fashion (garments, handbags, etc.), ideally on
    >a white background, but not necessarily. They need to be professional-looking,
    >but not studio/magazine quality. Can these easily be done on location with
    >portable lighting that most photographers would be likely to already have?

    They can be done with lighting, or they may choose not to use
    artifical light. Let the photographer decide, thats what you are
    paying them for.
    GT40, Oct 4, 2004
  9. Maw888

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, maw888@aol.
    comnospam says...

    >Thanks for the suggestions. The ASMP looks like a good resource.
    >
    >This is the first time I'm hiring a photographer. Are there any ballpark
    >figures as far as hourly rates for photography students/assistants on a
    >part-time basis (maybe 5-10 hours a week)? I know it would vary a lot by the
    >individual, but what would be a reasonable range? Are they usually paid

    hourly
    >or by the job? Also, do they typically get reimbursed for expenses (

    commuting,
    >etc.), or are their rates usually all inclusive? If we can commit to giving
    >them regular work (e.g. a 6 month contract), how flexible would most
    >photographers be on their rates (compared to a one-time project)?
    >
    >We need product shots of women's fashion (garments, handbags, etc.), ideally

    on
    >a white background, but not necessarily. They need to be professional-

    looking,
    >but not studio/magazine quality. Can these easily be done on location with
    >portable lighting that most photographers would be likely to already have?

    All I can help you with is how I charge: basically US$3000/day with all
    expenses and materials, plus travel, assistants, locatiton scouting, set-up/
    tear-down, consultation, and materials (+/- 20% charged as used). This is for
    advertising work, not in the NYC area. I choose, when possible to quote per
    the job, when given all details, but often have to do it on a day-rate, as
    some clients (only the new ones) see reticent to divulge the details
    necessary.

    Now, this will not help you much, and I'm aware of that. Look at the ASMP Web
    site for details on pricing. Unfortunately, I can't remember if that is an
    open page, or is members-only. You will pay a bit more in NYC, Chicago, LA,
    SF, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc. as they are much larger ad markets. However,
    you might want to think about maybe "one-time usage," limited-usage, etc. to
    allow the photographer more potential sales for stock. This will often save
    the client $, but not always.

    You should GIVE the photographer credit, and not use it as a negotiating tool.
    After all, they are doing this for less than the going rate. You might also
    offer re-prints, if you go ink-on-paper, as this WOULD be an extra for their
    portfolios.

    Most of all, interview the candidates, and work closely with whomever you
    choose. Help them, and they will then help you.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Oct 4, 2004
  10. Maw888

    zeitgeist Guest

    > Hi, I'm looking for a skilled amateur photographer based in Los Angeles

    that
    > will be able to do occasional fashion product shots for a website I run.

    Our
    > budget is limited, so we're trying to find someone that will work
    > inexpensively, perhaps a photography student or hobbiest.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a good directory (on or offline) of talented amateur
    > photographers, or suggest how I might go about finding the right person?

    amazing, the number one thing that will show your products at their best,
    the one thing that will SELL your work, or at least make it easy for your
    customers to buy is the one thing you don't have a reasonable budget for.

    Do you have an armature accountant set up your books? Is your web site
    being set up with a software wizard or template?

    are you going to have an armature stylist? or expect the model to know how
    to do her own?

    fine, here's a tip. go to some of the professional camera stores and look
    at their bulletin boards for hungry wannabes posting for assistant's jobs,
    (the kind of place would feature 'expendables and have a rental department
    which is usually where the pushpin board is found) most of them are working
    on their portfolios and are likely to compromise their fee and integrity for
    a chance. That would be better than the hack wedding photographer/TFP
    softporn shooter you are likely to have fill your mailbox with if you post
    on a public board.

    Does LA Trade-Tech still have a photo program? (I went there in 71-72)

    zeitgeist, Oct 7, 2004
  11. "zeitgeist" <> wrote in message

    (snip)

    > fine, here's a tip. go to some of the professional camera stores and look
    > at their bulletin boards for hungry wannabes posting for assistant's jobs,
    > (the kind of place would feature 'expendables and have a rental department
    > which is usually where the pushpin board is found) most of them are
    > working
    > on their portfolios and are likely to compromise their fee and integrity
    > for
    > a chance. That would be better than the hack wedding photographer/TFP
    > softporn shooter you are likely to have fill your mailbox with if you post
    > on a public board.

    -------------------

    "...hungry wannabes posting for assistant's jobs..."???

    Hey, they want to get paid too. Time and materials + overheads. Any decent
    assistant with his own gear and computer [operating with LEGAL image
    software] will have an investment in his business (as well as his
    reputation), not to mention that many also already have a not insignificant
    investment in their training, just as any photographer would... maybe
    working a lower day rate but expecting to get paid nevertheless.

    "...That would be better than the hack wedding photographer / TFP softporn
    shooter..."

    Even the hack wedding snapper and the soft porn shooter will want to be
    paid.

    What this asshole needs is a trip to Wal-Mart to buy a 49.95 all-singing
    all-dancing digital camera [NOT!] and to do it himself. But... no....
    wait... he's looking for a "skilled" (e/g "talented") photographer.

    This guy wants CHEEP! And I sincerely hope he gets just what he pays for.
    But he's not going to have it both ways.

    Journalist
    Journalist-North, Oct 7, 2004
  12. Maw888

    Mick Brown Guest

    I hope that aren't refering to all wedding photogs as hacks??? Porn
    photogs...bah whatever, but not all wedding photogs are hacks :-|

    --
    Michael Brown
    Melbourne Australia

    Mick Brown, Oct 7, 2004
  13. Maw888

    Skip M Guest

    "zeitgeist" <> wrote in message

    That would be better than the hack wedding photographer/TFP
    > softporn shooter you are likely to have fill your mailbox with if you post
    > on a public board.

    Hey, I resemble that remark! Except that I'd want to get paid! ;-) I have
    an investment in equipment and experience that deserves, no, requires some
    recompense. But there are a lot of people that will do it for free, which
    is why I recommended craigslist.com or craigslist.org there are a lot of
    people posting there just looking for opportunities to expand/start their
    portfolio.

    Skip M, Oct 7, 2004
  14. Maw888

    Skip M Guest

    And not all TFP is soft core porn, either.

    Skip M, Oct 7, 2004