find out the throughput between two network nodes

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk, May 26, 2011.

  1. Guest

    Hi,
    Recently, we have found the throughput between two network nodes does
    not reflect the actual WAN bandwidth:
    1. the ordered WAN link bandwidth = 10Mbits/sec
    2. found the link speed of the end point servers is around 1Mbits/sec


    Just wan to know if under no help ( no bandwidth tool -- IPERF and no
    workstation connected to the routers );

    1. how can I find out the throughput between two WAN routers ? ( based
    on only the router IOS or interface statics )


    Thanks a lot
     
    , May 26, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rob Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Recently, we have found the throughput between two network nodes does
    > not reflect the actual WAN bandwidth:
    > 1. the ordered WAN link bandwidth = 10Mbits/sec
    > 2. found the link speed of the end point servers is around 1Mbits/sec


    It often depens a lot on the actual protocol you use between the
    endpoints, and the roundtriptime between the endpoints.

    When your roundtriptime is quite large and your protocol is inefficient,
    you will never reach high bitrates no matter what your WAN link bandwidth
    is.

    For example, when you use your WAN link to synchronize Windows roaming
    user profiles, it will always be slow.
    This is because a roaming profile is transferred as hundreds of very
    small files, and each file transfer requires several messages back and
    forth between the client and the server.

    When you want to liik at the real speed, try to use FTP to transfer a
    large file. Most FTP tools will report the achieved speed.
    Make sure the setting of TCP Window is appropriate for your bandwidth
    and roundtriptime.
     
    Rob, May 26, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On 5月26æ—¥, 下åˆ4時38分, Rob <> wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > Recently, we have found the throughput between two network nodes does
    > > not reflect the actual WAN bandwidth:
    > > 1. the ordered WAN link bandwidth = 10Mbits/sec
    > > 2. found the link speed of the end point servers is around 1Mbits/sec

    >
    > It often depens a lot on the actual protocol you use between the
    > endpoints, and the roundtriptime between the endpoints.
    >
    > When your roundtriptime is quite large and your protocol is inefficient,
    > you will never reach high bitrates no matter what your WAN link bandwidth
    > is.
    >
    > For example, when you use your WAN link to synchronize Windows roaming
    > user profiles, it will always be slow.
    > This is because a roaming profile is transferred as hundreds of very
    > small files, and each file transfer requires several messages back and
    > forth between the client and the server.
    >
    > When you want to liik at the real speed, try to use FTP to transfer a
    > large file.  Most FTP tools will report the achieved speed.
    > Make sure the setting of TCP Window is appropriate for your bandwidth
    > and roundtriptime.


    Hi, thanks for your idea.

    But my case is :
    I tested the speed of end points ( by the tool netCPS --- copying
    100Mbytes file ), the link speed between end points across WAN link is
    round 1Mbits per second; while the link speed in LAN environment or at
    the edge router is around 10Mbits (they are expected speed ).

    So we just want to find out the root cause of the WAN environment;
    roundtrip time is perfect (1/2/4) and traceroute = (4ms)...but just do
    not know how to test the throughput between these two edge router or
    the WAN link speed like the following illustration:

    LAN1 ---EdgeRouter1 ------wan link-----EdgeRouter2-----LAN2



    Tested cases (throughput test):
    1. LAN1
    2 LAN1 - EdageRouter1
    3. LAN1 - LAN2 ( unsatisfied result )

    Cases not yet tested:
    1. EdgeRouter1 - EdgeRouter2
    2. wan link --- EdgeRouter2 ---LAN2

    If no help from the test tools nor workstations (due to EdgeRouter2
    and LAN2 are not our control area, we can only with the Routers), how
    I get and througput testing ?

    Thanks
     
    , May 26, 2011
    #3
  4. On 26/5/11 11:00 AM, wrote:
    > LAN1 ---EdgeRouter1 ------wan link-----EdgeRouter2-----LAN2
    >
    >
    >
    > Tested cases (throughput test):
    > 1. LAN1
    > 2 LAN1 - EdageRouter1
    > 3. LAN1 - LAN2 ( unsatisfied result )
    >
    > Cases not yet tested:
    > 1. EdgeRouter1 - EdgeRouter2
    > 2. wan link --- EdgeRouter2 ---LAN2
    >
    > If no help from the test tools nor workstations (due to EdgeRouter2
    > and LAN2 are not our control area, we can only with the Routers), how
    > I get and througput testing ?
    >


    Some routers have ttcp in IOS so you could use that. Other than that -
    if wan link is Ethernet - pull out the routers, connect workstations on
    both ends and do netcps.

    BR,
    A.C.
     
    Anonymous coward, May 26, 2011
    #4
  5. Guest

    On 5月26æ—¥, 下åˆ7時15分, Anonymous coward <>
    wrote:
    > On 26/5/11 11:00 AM, wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > LAN1 ---EdgeRouter1 ------wan link-----EdgeRouter2-----LAN2

    >
    > > Tested cases (throughput test):
    > > 1. LAN1
    > > 2  LAN1 - EdageRouter1
    > > 3. LAN1 - LAN2 ( unsatisfied result )

    >
    > > Cases not yet tested:
    > > 1. EdgeRouter1 - EdgeRouter2
    > > 2. wan link --- EdgeRouter2 ---LAN2

    >
    > > If no help from the test tools nor workstations (due to EdgeRouter2
    > > and LAN2 are not our control area, we can only with the Routers), how
    > > I get and througput testing ?

    >
    > Some routers have ttcp in IOS so you could use that. Other than that -
    > if wan link is Ethernet - pull out the routers, connect workstations on
    > both ends and do netcps.
    >
    > BR,
    > A.C.- éš±è—被引用文字 -
    >
    > - 顯示被引用文字 -


    Bingo !
    Not the exact tool, but good enough !
    Thanks so much, I have verified our routers support this tool !
     
    , May 27, 2011
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bruce Chastain

    More than 2 ad-hoc nodes?

    Bruce Chastain, Jul 7, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    5,321
    Stefan Monnier
    Jul 8, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWlja3l0ZWpzaW5naEB5YWhvby5jb20=?=

    Unnecessary Network trafic generated between only two comp out of

    =?Utf-8?B?bWlja3l0ZWpzaW5naEB5YWhvby5jb20=?=, Oct 29, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    557
    S. Pidgorny
    Oct 29, 2004
  3. Bruce Chastain

    More than 2 ad-hoc nodes?

    Bruce Chastain, Jul 7, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    282
    Bruce Chastain
    Jul 7, 2004
  4. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    617
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFmZnNlcg==?=
    Aug 3, 2006
  5. Scott Davis
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,220
    swe3tdave
    May 20, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page