    On voipcheap it still says finarea and sipdiscount doesn't seem to have
    an about us link.

    Paul

    paul123, Jan 5, 2006

  2. paul123

    alexd Guest

    paul123 wrote:

    > Hope this isn't old news, but I notice that the "about us" links have
    > changed on voipbuster, voipstunt and netappel.fr
    >
    > The company name no longer says Finarea. It's now:
    > Betamax GmbH & Co.Kg
    > Im Mediapark 8
    > 50670 Köln
    > Germany
    >
    > http://www.betamax.com/press_news.php?language=

    I can't believe no-one else has said this yet, but...who is the VHS of VOIP?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:40:02 up 5 days, 5:57, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.18, 0.36

    alexd, Jan 6, 2006

  3. paul123

    Martin² Guest

    >I can't believe no-one else has said this yet, but...who is the VHS of
    >VOIP?

    Skype of course ! And just like in the VCR wars the cheap and nasty format
    might win...

    BTW Phillips 2000 was by far the technically best VCR format, killed by
    Phillips refusing to licence it and/or asking too much. But the
    manufacturers have not learned, see HD DVD vs Blue Ray etc.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 7, 2006
  4. Martin² wrote:
    >>I can't believe no-one else has said this yet, but...who is the VHS of
    >>VOIP?

    > Skype of course ! And just like in the VCR wars the cheap and nasty format
    > might win...

    Probably.

    > BTW Phillips 2000 was by far the technically best VCR format, killed by
    > Phillips refusing to licence it and/or asking too much. But the
    > manufacturers have not learned, see HD DVD vs Blue Ray etc.
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    The techinically best has never won (I may still have some Video2000
    cassettes somewhere).

    Did you ever hear the Urban Legend (presumably, I very much doubt it is
    true) regarding why Sony's Betamax format never took off?

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 7, 2006
  5. paul123

    Jono Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    > Did you ever hear the Urban Legend (presumably, I very much doubt it is
    > true) regarding why Sony's Betamax format never took off?

    You could've at least put the "Urban Legend" in your post.!

    Jono, Jan 7, 2006
  6. Jono wrote:
    > "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did you ever hear the Urban Legend (presumably, I very much doubt it is
    >>true) regarding why Sony's Betamax format never took off?

    > You could've at least put the "Urban Legend" in your post.!

    Well, according to an article I read in 3do magazine, one of the reasons
    the Betamax format didn't take off was because Sony refused to grant a
    license to anyone who wanted to make pornographic films.

    Don't know if it's true, but funny all the same.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 7, 2006
  7. paul123

    alexd Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    > Well, according to an article I read in 3do magazine, one of the reasons
    > the Betamax format didn't take off was because Sony refused to grant a
    > license to anyone who wanted to make pornographic films.
    >
    > Don't know if it's true, but funny all the same.

    Doesn't sound convincing to me. We all know that Sony have no morals
    whatsoever after the DRM-from-hell spyware fiasco.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    15:52:00 up 6 days, 3:09, 1 user, load average: 0.22, 0.43, 0.35

    alexd, Jan 7, 2006
  8. paul123

    Martin² Guest

    Kenyon:
    >Well, according to an article I read in 3do magazine, one of the reasons
    >the Betamax format didn't take off was because Sony refused to grant a
    >license to anyone who wanted to make pornographic films.

    Doesn't make sense, nothing to stop anyone buying lot of Betamax recorders
    and cassettes and just doing it.

    One often quoted reason why VHS von was that it took off in big way in India
    & Pakistan and that brought the price way down bellow what Betmax could be
    made for.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 8, 2006
  9. Martin² wrote:
    > Doesn't make sense, nothing to stop anyone buying lot of Betamax recorders
    > and cassettes and just doing it.
    >
    > One often quoted reason why VHS von was that it took off in big way in India
    > & Pakistan and that brought the price way down bellow what Betmax could be
    > made for.

    Pass, whatever the reason, Sony and mei have never really made friends
    since. :)

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 8, 2006
  10. paul123

    > Martin² wrote:
    >> Doesn't make sense, nothing to stop anyone buying lot of Betamax
    >> recorders and cassettes and just doing it.
    >>
    >> One often quoted reason why VHS von was that it took off in big way in
    >> India & Pakistan and that brought the price way down bellow what Betmax
    >> could be made for.

    > Pass, whatever the reason, Sony and mei have never really made friends
    > since. :)

    mei - that's a new word? combination of me & I. Mei likes it ;-)

    Jono, Jan 8, 2006
  11. Jono wrote:
    > "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Pass, whatever the reason, Sony and mei have never really made friends
    >>since. :)

    > mei - that's a new word? combination of me & I. Mei likes it ;-)

    Nah, it's a huge Consumer Electronics Company which thanks to VHS,
    became the biggest in the world. Isn't now of course.

    Fwiw, I prefer your definition.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 8, 2006