Finarea (18185, 1899, 18866) Should Offer 07744 Access

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by fgfgbgbg@googlemail.com, Dec 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Finarea (18185, 1899, 18866) are missing a trick by not offering a
    07744 access number. They currently offer the 18185, 1899, and 18866
    Carrier Selection numbers for BT lines, and 0800 and 0208 numbers for
    access from non BT landlines and from mobiles. 07744 access numbers can
    be used out of inclusive mobile minutes for Orange, T-Mobile and Virgin
    customers (while o2 customers have inclusive 0870, so a 0870 access
    number would also be useful). 07744 numbers provide revenue, which can
    then be used to provide calls to overseas (or to UK 0870 and 0845
    numbers), allowing customers to make international calls or 0870 and
    0845 calls out of their inclusive mobile minutes. However, for many
    international destinations (particularly mobile phones and less
    developed countries) 07744 numbers either provide insufficient revenue
    to provide the service, or only allow it at peak times - when the
    numbers are able to charge the highest termination charges (07744
    numbers follow mobile numbers in their peak, evening and weekend
    charging structure).

    With Finarea already having the telecom infrastructure, online customer
    management, and billing facilities they are in an ideal position to
    save their customers money, gain market share, and make more profit by
    offering 07744 access numbers. With their billing facilities they can
    offer all destinations 24/7 by allowing revenue from the 07744 number
    to be topped up by invoiced charges (taken from debit/credit card or
    direct debit - as Finarea currently do). A tariff message would come
    up before they are connected to their destination number saying how
    much, if any, was to be charged to their invoice.

    If Finarea want to make it even better, and more complex, they could
    allow customers to accumulate credit (deducted from their invoice) when
    using the 07744 access number to make calls to cheap numbers (e.g. UK
    landlines or the USA) - since revenue from 07744 more than surpasses
    the cost of placing the call. More controversially they could also
    allow customers to call the 07744 access number, not call any
    destination, but just accumulate credit on to their account. Maybe if a
    customer was more than say £10 in credit, they could have the option
    of having it credited to their debit/credit card, or put into their
    bank account.

    Because the 07744 charging structure changes with peak rate, off peak,
    and weekend, it might necessary to briefly include a tariff message mid
    phone call (audible only to the caller, with the receiver hearing
    something like "We will reconnect the call shortly").
    Alternatively, it might be better to abandon tariff messages
    altogether.

    Links:
    07744 access number providers:
    http://www.yourcallworld.com/
    http://www.planetcalling.com/
    Finarea:
    http://www.1899.com/
    http://www.18185.co.uk/
    http://www.call18866.co.uk/
    , Dec 31, 2006

  2. Tricky Guest

    On 31 Dec 2006 11:55:29 -0800, wrote:

    >Finarea (18185, 1899, 18866) are missing a trick ...

    Finarea are not missing a trick - they use every trick in the book to
    confuse users. They wouldn't be interested in your 07744 suggestion as
    that would be too simple and it would be more difficult to play their
    usual tricks.
    Tricky, Jan 1, 2007

  3. Lem Guest

    On 31 Dec 2006, <> wrote:

> [...]
    > invoice) when using the 07744 access number to make calls to cheap
    > numbers (e.g. UK landlines or the USA) - since revenue from 07744
    > more than surpasses the cost of placing the call. More
    > controversially they could also allow customers to call the 07744
    > access number, not call any destination, but just accumulate credit
    > on to their account. Maybe if a customer was more than say £10 in
    > credit, they could have the option of having it credited to their
    > debit/credit card, or put into their bank account.
    >
    > Because the 07744 charging structure changes with peak rate, off
    > peak, and weekend, it might necessary to briefly include a tariff
    > message mid phone call (audible only to the caller, with the
    > receiver hearing something like "We will reconnect the call
    > shortly"). Alternatively, it might be better to abandon tariff

    Nice post but there is almost no chance Finarea is listening. Like
    Tricky says, Fiarea are already dodging and diving with the skill of a
    master.

    See if you can get your payment tracked to FInarea through LIMMIT (part
    of BoS but in Cambridgeshire). No chance.
    Lem, Jan 1, 2007
  4. NoNeedToKnow Guest

    On 01 Jan 2007, Lem <> wrote:

    >Nice post but there is almost no chance Finarea is listening. Like Tricky
    >says, Finarea are already dodging and diving with the skill of a master.

    I don't know whether "their usual tricks" (from Tricky's post) apply only
    to mobile users but I don't feel they've been "dodging and diving" at all.

    As a customer for some years now, I'm very happy with the service I get,
    though must note I don't call mobiles and don't use their VoIP service,
    just dial a prefix and get billed a low amount every couple of months.

    --
    E-petition the PM to: hold a public referendum on the introduction
    of the National Identity Register and associated Identity Cards.

    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/IDreferendum/
    NoNeedToKnow, Jan 1, 2007
  5. Guy Guest

    > I don't know whether "their usual tricks" (from Tricky's post) apply only
    > to mobile users but I don't feel they've been "dodging and diving" at all.
    >
    > As a customer for some years now, I'm very happy with the service I get,
    > though must note I don't call mobiles and don't use their VoIP service,
    > just dial a prefix and get billed a low amount every couple of months.

    Likewise, I use their services with a dialler box prefixing the access code
    on all calls and all I've seen is a marked reduction in my call costs .

    I'm unaware of any of their "usual tricks" (whatever they are)
    disadvantaging me ??
    Guy, Jan 2, 2007
  6. Tricky Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 09:06:53 GMT, Guy wrote:

    >I'm unaware of any of their "usual tricks" (whatever they are)
    >disadvantaging me ??

    The trick is to keep setting up "new" brands regularly and changing
    the rules frequently so as to confuse the users and not to reply to
    email.
    Tricky, Jan 2, 2007
  7. Aaron B Guest

    "Tricky" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 09:06:53 GMT, Guy wrote:
    >
    >>I'm unaware of any of their "usual tricks" (whatever they are)
    >>disadvantaging me ??

    > The trick is to keep setting up "new" brands regularly and changing
    > the rules frequently so as to confuse the users and not to reply to
    > email.

    They've replied to all the emails I've sent them.
    As to changing brands, well the very nice people at saynoto0870 keep me up
    to date on when to change between brands.
    Aaron B, Jan 3, 2007