    I can relax now. We worked long and hard and we finally landed on Mars. OH
    MY GOD you just don't know what kind of pressure we were under. Those beeps
    were a beautiful sound.

    pcbutts1, Jan 4, 2004

  2. pcbutts1

    shadow self Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    news:ey%Jb.37172$...
    > I can relax now. We worked long and hard and we finally landed on Mars. OH
    > MY GOD you just don't know what kind of pressure we were under. Those

    beeps
    > were a beautiful sound.

    Congratulations, you did well.

    Now what?

    1) Land on Mars
    2) ?????
    3) Profit

    :)

    shadow self, Jan 4, 2004

  3. pcbutts1 wrote:
    > I can relax now. We worked long and hard and we finally landed on Mars. OH
    > MY GOD you just don't know what kind of pressure we were under. Those beeps
    > were a beautiful sound.

    I thought you were going to tell us that the J Lo and Ben Affleck
    marriage was on again.
    What a disappointment.

    Bill Schnakenberg, Jan 4, 2004
  4. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    In about 8 days we will drive it off the Lander. On January 24th we will
    land Opportunity. Color pictures coming in today.

    pcbutts1, Jan 4, 2004
  5. pcbutts1

    Brian H¹© Guest

    pcbutts1 said:

    > In about 8 days we will drive it off the Lander. On January 24th we will
    > land Opportunity. Color pictures coming in today.

    WE?

    Do you work for NASA?

    Brian H¹©, Jan 4, 2004
  6. pcbutts1

    Big Bad Wolf Guest

    Uh oh, I see a large Mars Bar at 11 am!!!

    Big Bad Wolf, Jan 4, 2004
  7. pcbutts1

    Boomer Guest

    pcbutts1, <> wrote:

    > I can relax now. We worked long and hard and we finally landed
    > on Mars. OH MY GOD you just don't know what kind of pressure we
    > were under. Those beeps were a beautiful sound.

    Congrats, pcbutts1. :)

    Boomer, Jan 4, 2004
  8. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes.

    pcbutts1, Jan 4, 2004
  9. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Thanks Boomer.

    pcbutts1, Jan 4, 2004
  10. pcbutts1

    ICee Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > I can relax now. We worked long and hard and we finally landed on
    > Mars. OH MY GOD you just don't know what kind of pressure we were
    > under. Those beeps were a beautiful sound.

    *Well Done!* Be sure to send pictures :)

    ICee, Jan 4, 2004
  11. pcbutts1

    Brian H¹© Guest

    pcbutts1 said:

    > Yes.

    Cool, can you ask your bosses if they can let me know the truth about what lies
    beyond our atmosphere? I promise not to tell anyone ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Jan 4, 2004
  12. pcbutts1

    Liz Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote

    > pcbutts1 said:
    >
    > > Yes.
    > >

    > Cool, can you ask your bosses if they can let me know the truth about what lies
    > beyond our atmosphere? I promise not to tell anyone ;-)

    It looks better when it's wet. ~ Dr Hiroshi Ohmoto

    Liz, Jan 4, 2004
  13. "pcbutts1" <> writes:

    Congratulations, pcbutts1! It's been a great few days for NASA and
    JPL. I hope that Opportunity also makes it down successfully, and
    also want to say that I was at least as impressed by Stardust - the
    idea of sending something that far away and then bringing it back
    again, way cool! Well done, and roll on 2006!

    BTW, someone in another forum asked about the distance between the
    Gusev Crater and Isidis planitia. I found lat. and long. for the
    sites, 282W/25N for Isidis Planitia and 186W/13S for Gusev Crater, but
    would yo know what that translates to in distance? I figure it's OK to
    ask, since NASA has obviously sorted out the whole metric/imperial
    confusion problem <eg>

    --
    Registered Linux User 297164
    GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3

    Max Quordlepleen, Jan 4, 2004
  14. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I'll ask but check out http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/landingsites/ your
    answer may be in there.

    pcbutts1, Jan 5, 2004
  15. Max Quordlepleen, Jan 5, 2004
  16. pcbutts1

    Paul Blarmy Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:26:34 GMT, pcbutts1 wrote...

    > I can relax now. We worked long and hard and we finally landed on Mars. OH
    > MY GOD you just don't know what kind of pressure we were under. Those beeps
    > were a beautiful sound.

    Have a look around for the UK's missing machine while you're up there
    will you.

    --
    EMail address is disposable and NEVER checked.
    Outgoing message is certified VIRUS FREE by

    Paul Blarmy, Jan 5, 2004
  17. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Max I asked your question and this is the answer I got.

    "If you just want a rough answer (e.g., if someone just wants to know if
    MER-A can go over and
    investigate Beagle 2): That's just over 90 degrees in longitude, or 1/4 the
    circumference (if both were on the equator;
    and both are pretty close). That is then (2pi*r/4) ~ 5300 km ~ 3300 miles.
    Round up to ~3500 miles to account for the latitude difference. Not exact,
    but good enough for government work.

    And assuming a speed of 10 mph, it would take about 15 days to get there.
    Might be something to consider after its mission is completed. Execpt that
    the rovers travel nowhere near 10 mph. I don't know the exact speed, but
    it's closer to 0.1 mph than 10 mph, which means you're looking at years, not
    days, and that's assuming that there even exists a traversible route from A
    to B, which is doubtful. So it's not likely to happen. (But it would be
    very cool.) MER is solar powered; it's only nominally going to be driving
    3-4 hours each day. MER top mechanical speed is about 5cm/second, but there
    are motor overheating issues so it'll never run continuously at that rate.
    With hazard avoidance enabled (i.e. avoiding rocks and ditches using stereo
    cameras) it runs still slower; actual speed depends on terrain and parameter
    settings, but is normally closer to 1cm/s. I'm afraid Beagle II is well out
    of reach."

    pcbutts1, Jan 6, 2004
  18. "pcbutts1" <> writes:

    > Max I asked your question and this is the answer I got.

    Great, thanks, pcbutts1. That confirms my thoughts on the matter,
    although I had seriously _under_estimated the difference. I am very
    much obliged to you for taking the time to find all that out. Cheers.

    Max Quordlepleen, Jan 6, 2004
  19. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You're Welcome.