    still in 'My Documents'.

    What would be the best way to draw all the photos together and have them
    now in one place please ?
    john d hamilton, Sep 19, 2008

  2. john d hamilton

    Rob Morley Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:18:08 +0100
    "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:

    > Windows has a nifty featur called Move to folder.

    ITYFI "Send to Folder"
    Rob Morley, Sep 19, 2008

  3. john d hamilton

    Peter Guest

    "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote in message
    > In news:20080919120239.122fbc6d@bluemoon,
    > <> Rob Morley bashed on keyboard and typed:
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:18:08 +0100
    >> "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows has a nifty featur called Move to folder.

    >> ITYFI "Send to Folder"

    > Actually its move this folder and copy this folder. I have a Inf file that
    > added copy/move to the context menu to work like Send to X in my old win
    > 98. God knows what its called in Vista but I bet it needs admin rights and
    > a password

    The "send to" in Windows is not a move, it is a copy process.
    While I have not tried it on my Vista machine, you are right that it does
    require administrative rights. However, if that is your machine you should
    set yourself up as administrator. If that is a machine at your workplace
    your manager might not be thrilled with your use of a workplace machine for
    personal storage of photos. I have no intention for the above statement to
    start a discussion on proper use of workplace computers.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 19, 2008
  4. john d hamilton

    Morton Guest

    mm wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:33:11 +0100, "john d hamilton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Novice has years of photos moved around and copied 'here and there', so now
    >> has lots of *duplicates* all over the place, including the external hard
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> In an attempt to organise them i downloaded Picassa and so can easily
    >> 'delete' the duplicates, since they appear side by side.
    >>
    >> For some reason the folder icon with most of the photos in, that used to be
    >> in 'My Documents' has disappeared. Although a search shows the photos are
    >> still in 'My Documents'.

    > I don't have more than a fleeting acquaintance iwth picasa but this
    > reminds me of a Yahoo group I subscribed to, unsubscribed, and still
    > get all the posts from. I tried again to unsubscribe and it wouldnt'
    > let me. I tried to post and it wouldn't let me. So I subscribed and
    > now plan to unsubscribe, hoping that will do it.
    >
    > In your case, maybe more all the unavailbable photos to some dummy
    > folder, then move them back again to my documents.
    >
    > I have a feeling you deleted them while in Picasa, if you can do that
    > there. I'm hoping that only deletes an entry in a picasa list, and
    > won't delete the photos from the hard drive. Otherwise it's dangerous.
    > But who knows.
    >
    >> What would be the best way to draw all the photos together and have them
    >> now in one place please ?

    Hi,

    The beauty of Picasa is that it automatically copies any photos from
    your hard drive. If you at any point delete photos from Picasa, the
    originals will remain where they were on the hard drive. Similarly, if
    you edit a photo in Picasa, the original unedited version will remain on
    the hard drive. Being free doesn't hurt either.

    Morton
    Morton, Sep 23, 2008
  5. john d hamilton

    Guest

    Morton <> wrote:

    >The beauty of Picasa is that it automatically copies any photos from
    >your hard drive.

    Your really on top of this computer security thing aren't you.
    --

    Fallen art
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7HMz1WKkso
  6. john d hamilton

    OG Guest

    "Morton" <> wrote in message
    > mm wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:33:11 +0100, "john d hamilton"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Novice has years of photos moved around and copied 'here and there', so
    >>> now has lots of *duplicates* all over the place, including the external
    >>> hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> In an attempt to organise them i downloaded Picassa and so can easily
    >>> 'delete' the duplicates, since they appear side by side.
    >>>
    >>> For some reason the folder icon with most of the photos in, that used to
    >>> be in 'My Documents' has disappeared. Although a search shows the photos
    >>> are still in 'My Documents'.

    >> I don't have more than a fleeting acquaintance iwth picasa but this
    >> reminds me of a Yahoo group I subscribed to, unsubscribed, and still
    >> get all the posts from. I tried again to unsubscribe and it wouldnt'
    >> let me. I tried to post and it wouldn't let me. So I subscribed and
    >> now plan to unsubscribe, hoping that will do it.
    >>
    >> In your case, maybe more all the unavailbable photos to some dummy
    >> folder, then move them back again to my documents.
    >>
    >> I have a feeling you deleted them while in Picasa, if you can do that
    >> there. I'm hoping that only deletes an entry in a picasa list, and
    >> won't delete the photos from the hard drive. Otherwise it's dangerous.
    >> But who knows.
    >>
    >>> What would be the best way to draw all the photos together and have
    >>> them now in one place please ?

    > Hi,
    >
    > The beauty of Picasa is that it automatically copies any photos from your
    > hard drive. If you at any point delete photos from Picasa, the originals
    > will remain where they were on the hard drive.

    Not necessarily so - if you copy the photo to your own *album*, you can
    delete it from the *album* without losing the original; if however, you
    delete the photo from the source folder in Picasa it *is* deleted from the
    HD and can only be retrieved via the recycle bin. Be warned.

    > Similarly, if you edit a photo in Picasa, the original unedited version
    > will remain on the hard drive. Being free doesn't hurt either.

    This is correct. Picasa backs up the original version of any image you edit
    to a hidden folder called 'Originals' within the source folder.
    OG, Sep 23, 2008
  7. john d hamilton

    OG Guest

    "OG" <> wrote in message

    >> Similarly, if you edit a photo in Picasa, the original unedited version
    >> will remain on the hard drive. Being free doesn't hurt either.

    > This is correct. Picasa backs up the original version of any image you
    > edit to a hidden folder called 'Originals' within the source folder.

    But deleting the edited version also deletes the backed up original. Again,
    be warned
    OG, Sep 23, 2008
  8. john d hamilton

    Morton Guest

    wrote:
    > Morton <> wrote:
    >
    >> The beauty of Picasa is that it automatically copies any photos from
    >> your hard drive.

    > Your really on top of this computer security thing aren't you.

    Thank you. If you ever had important images deleted accidentally by a
    malfunctioning device or program, then you would be too.

    Morton
    Morton, Sep 23, 2008
  9. john d hamilton

    Morton Guest

    OG wrote:
    > "OG" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Similarly, if you edit a photo in Picasa, the original unedited version
    >>> will remain on the hard drive. Being free doesn't hurt either.

    >> This is correct. Picasa backs up the original version of any image you
    >> edit to a hidden folder called 'Originals' within the source folder.

    > But deleting the edited version also deletes the backed up original. Again,
    > be warned

    I keep all my original unedited pictures in the folder "Pictures" on my
    hard drive, not resorting to Albums or other such moves. I therefore can
    be sure that a delete in Picasa2 retains the original in Pictures.
    (Vista Home Premium). In addition, I burn all my images to CD-Rs that
    are suppose to last 100 years; which I will not live long enough to
    prove.For important pictures in the field, I have a portable
    battery-operated CD-R burner for pictures that automatically burns
    images from the SD card to a blank CD-R.

    Regards,

    Morton
    Morton, Sep 23, 2008