Finally on UBS but......

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Nov 6, 2004.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Got an email (four actually) from Orcon telling me that I was going to be
    switched over to UBS on the 5th and giving me a new log-on to use. I tried
    it late at night on the 5th and sure enough, it connected. Yay! Up from
    128/64 to 256/128!! Well, no.

    I haven't tried a test site but I have DU Meter on my connection machine
    with a wee UL/DL graph that showed it topping out at 16-17KBs down and 8Kbs
    up before, on jetstart. Now it's about 17.8Kbs max down and 16KBs up. That
    looks like 128/128 to me. I've tried DL'ing several files from several
    places singly and concurrently and it hasn't gone above a peak of 17.8KBs
    down.

    I know it isn't my line or equipment as, before I went to UBS I DL'ed some
    stuf from jetstreamgames and got well in excess of 2MBs.

    Guess I'll be ringing Orcon tomorrow if it hasn't changed. Also, it may be a
    coincidence but I did a bit of on-line gaming before and after and
    ping-times seem to have gone up about 10-20% post-UBS.

    Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of my bad
    luck kicking in?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 6, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Got an email (four actually) from Orcon telling me that I was going to
    > be switched over to UBS on the 5th and giving me a new log-on to use.
    > I tried it late at night on the 5th and sure enough, it connected.
    > Yay! Up from 128/64 to 256/128!! Well, no.
    >
    > Guess I'll be ringing Orcon tomorrow if it hasn't changed. Also, it
    > may be a coincidence but I did a bit of on-line gaming before and
    > after and ping-times seem to have gone up about 10-20% post-UBS.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of my
    > bad luck kicking in?

    Same, 5th, @orcon.net.nz login works, downloads at the same speed as before
    ~16K.

    I am hopeful that this will be working as it should any day now, I suppose
    I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow to see if they can check up on
    things.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (now updated and working)
    MarkH, Nov 7, 2004

  3. MarkH wrote:
    > Same, 5th, @orcon.net.nz login works, downloads at the same speed as before
    > ~16K.
    >
    > I am hopeful that this will be working as it should any day now, I suppose
    > I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow to see if they can check up on
    > things.

    My changeover date was meant to be the 2nd, and I have been billed for
    UBS from that date. The actual change appeared to occur yesterday (6th).

    Make sure you request a refund for the unused UBS portion of your Orcon
    bill. Telecom may be arseholes and not refund their portion (Although I
    am definitely going to ask them to), but Orcon will.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Nov 7, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    Starkey Guest

    On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:44:20 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Got an email (four actually) from Orcon telling me that I was going to be
    >switched over to UBS on the 5th and giving me a new log-on to use. I tried
    >it late at night on the 5th and sure enough, it connected. Yay! Up from
    >128/64 to 256/128!! Well, no.
    >
    >I haven't tried a test site but I have DU Meter on my connection machine
    >with a wee UL/DL graph that showed it topping out at 16-17KBs down and 8Kbs
    >up before, on jetstart. Now it's about 17.8Kbs max down and 16KBs up. That
    >looks like 128/128 to me. I've tried DL'ing several files from several
    >places singly and concurrently and it hasn't gone above a peak of 17.8KBs
    >down.
    >
    >I know it isn't my line or equipment as, before I went to UBS I DL'ed some
    >stuf from jetstreamgames and got well in excess of 2MBs.
    >
    >Guess I'll be ringing Orcon tomorrow if it hasn't changed. Also, it may be a
    >coincidence but I did a bit of on-line gaming before and after and
    >ping-times seem to have gone up about 10-20% post-UBS.
    >
    >Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of my bad
    >luck kicking in?

    yeah ive noticed gaming online is rather crap now i usually play
    diablo 2 lod and my ping jumping alot.
    but my dloads are ok 32-33k max
    Starkey, Nov 7, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:44:20 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Guess I'll be ringing Orcon tomorrow if it hasn't changed. Also, it may be a
    >coincidence but I did a bit of on-line gaming before and after and
    >ping-times seem to have gone up about 10-20% post-UBS.

    Isn't your traffic carried entirely on Telecom with UBS rather than going
    through Orcon on the old system?
    Craig Shore, Nov 7, 2004
  6. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of my bad
    > luck kicking in?

    seen a few others with the same, they're talking to Orcon about it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 7, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of
    >> my bad luck kicking in?

    > seen a few others with the same, they're talking to Orcon about it.

    Well, they're lucky. I haven't been able to get through to Orcon's 0508
    number all day. Must be overloaded. And I'm definintely on UBS, I can't
    logon to jetstreamgames anymore. (Thanks for the test-tip Malcolm).
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2004
  8. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of
    >>>my bad luck kicking in?

    >>seen a few others with the same, they're talking to Orcon about it.

    > Well, they're lucky. I haven't been able to get through to Orcon's 0508
    > number all day. Must be overloaded. And I'm definintely on UBS, I can't
    > logon to jetstreamgames anymore. (Thanks for the test-tip Malcolm).

    ~1 hr 30 mins wait according to the dsl mailing list.

    Well, in the end, I was on hold for 1 hour 26 minutes, spoke to the
    person there for about 3 minutes and he called telecom on my behalf
    (because he's allowed to) and I now have a telecom fault (sorry 'service
    request') number.

    So despite the almost 1.5 hours of being on hold, things are possibly
    progressing now.

    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 8, 2004
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Starkey wrote:
    > On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:44:20 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Got an email (four actually) from Orcon telling me that I was going
    >> to be switched over to UBS on the 5th and giving me a new log-on to
    >> use. I tried it late at night on the 5th and sure enough, it
    >> connected. Yay! Up from 128/64 to 256/128!! Well, no.
    >>
    >> I haven't tried a test site but I have DU Meter on my connection
    >> machine with a wee UL/DL graph that showed it topping out at
    >> 16-17KBs down and 8Kbs up before, on jetstart. Now it's about
    >> 17.8Kbs max down and 16KBs up. That looks like 128/128 to me. I've
    >> tried DL'ing several files from several places singly and
    >> concurrently and it hasn't gone above a peak of 17.8KBs down.
    >>
    >> I know it isn't my line or equipment as, before I went to UBS I
    >> DL'ed some stuf from jetstreamgames and got well in excess of 2MBs.
    >>
    >> Guess I'll be ringing Orcon tomorrow if it hasn't changed. Also, it
    >> may be a coincidence but I did a bit of on-line gaming before and
    >> after and ping-times seem to have gone up about 10-20% post-UBS.
    >>
    >> Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of
    >> my bad luck kicking in?

    > yeah ive noticed gaming online is rather crap now i usually play
    > diablo 2 lod and my ping jumping alot.
    > but my dloads are ok 32-33k max

    Heeeey! I play D2/LOD too, US West server, ladder. Awesome game no? The only
    game that's ever inspired me to play on-line. We'll have to get together for
    a game sometime if you're on US West. Whisper me sometime, usually misfitnz1
    but could be misfitnz through to misfitnz3. Or email me. misfitnz with a
    gmail account. I've only been playing online/1.10 for a month or so but have
    been playing SP/1.09 for ages.

    My pings used to hover around 200+ pre-UBS but have been more like 350+
    since the change over. And don't ask me how many times I've been 'killed'
    because one of the machines on the network decides it needs SETI/BOINC units
    when I'm playing.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Got an email (four actually) from Orcon telling me that I was going
    >> to be switched over to UBS on the 5th and giving me a new log-on to
    >> use. I tried it late at night on the 5th and sure enough, it
    >> connected. Yay! Up from 128/64 to 256/128!! Well, no.
    >>
    >> Guess I'll be ringing Orcon tomorrow if it hasn't changed. Also, it
    >> may be a coincidence but I did a bit of on-line gaming before and
    >> after and ping-times seem to have gone up about 10-20% post-UBS.
    >>
    >> Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of
    >> my bad luck kicking in?

    > Same, 5th, @orcon.net.nz login works, downloads at the same speed as
    > before ~16K.
    >
    > I am hopeful that this will be working as it should any day now, I
    > suppose I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow to see if they can
    > check up on things.

    Good luck getting through, I've been ringing their 0508 munber all day. I
    tried firing up a p2p proggy and I see that my upload speed is around ~16K
    where before it was ~8k. So now I have DSL instead of ADSL. Actually my
    upload speed seems to be faster than my download speed. Go figure.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2004
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ******
    > Well, in the end, I was on hold for 1 hour 26 minutes, spoke to the
    > person there for about 3 minutes and he called telecom on my behalf
    > (because he's allowed to) and I now have a telecom fault (sorry
    > 'service request') number.
    >
    > So despite the almost 1.5 hours of being on hold, things are possibly
    > progressing now.

    ******

    LOL, just got through finally and they will be with me in approximately
    ........55......minutes. I wish I had a speakerphone, my ear is getting sore.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2004
  12. ~misfit~

    elsamo Guest

    god those response times are pathetic. From what Ive hear Telecom are
    to blame for almost every problem that people are having.
    elsamo, Nov 8, 2004
  13. ~misfit~

    elsamo, Nov 8, 2004
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    elsamo wrote:
    > god those response times are pathetic. From what Ive hear Telecom are
    > to blame for almost every problem that people are having.

    Yeah, well, I spent a total of around three and a half hours with the phone
    against my ear waiting on Orcon yesterday. This was after three hours where
    the number just wasn't answered. I told them of my problem and the guy
    seemed very familair with it. He said he'd fire off an email to Telecom (And
    did it while I waited) and said that they usually fix it within hours,
    sometimes minutes. It's their muck up.

    Ok, so two hours later and I have no DSL working at all. The connection is
    still registering but no traffic. I disconnect and reconnect and get a
    "remote computer did not respond" message after a 15 second wait at the
    "verifying username and password" stage. (Alcatel one-touch USB modem, it's
    been excellent).

    I finally got back through to Orcon at around 9pm, by which time they told
    me it was too late to do anything then but they'll talk to telecom today.
    I'm currently using Orcon dial up (which I told them I better not get billed
    for) at a screaming 34KB. I'm about to get on the phone and start another
    round of being on hold for hours. I hate it when I get told "You have
    ......one.......minutes to wait" over and over again for 20 minutes.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2004
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > elsamo wrote:
    >> god those response times are pathetic. From what Ive hear Telecom
    >> are to blame for almost every problem that people are having.

    > Yeah, well, I spent a total of around three and a half hours with the
    > phone against my ear waiting on Orcon yesterday. This was after three
    > hours where the number just wasn't answered. I told them of my
    > problem and the guy seemed very familair with it. He said he'd fire
    > off an email to Telecom (And did it while I waited) and said that
    > they usually fix it within hours, sometimes minutes. It's their muck
    > up.
    >
    > Ok, so two hours later and I have no DSL working at all. The
    > connection is still registering but no traffic. I disconnect and
    > reconnect and get a "remote computer did not respond" message after a
    > 15 second wait at the "verifying username and password" stage.
    > (Alcatel one-touch USB modem, it's been excellent).
    >
    > I finally got back through to Orcon at around 9pm, by which time they
    > told me it was too late to do anything then but they'll talk to
    > telecom today. I'm currently using Orcon dial up (which I told them I
    > better not get billed for) at a screaming 34KB. I'm about to get on
    > the phone and start another round of being on hold for hours. I hate
    > it when I get told "You have .....one.......minutes to wait" over and
    > over again for 20 minutes.

    Prophetic words, I disconnected immediately after sending that and dialed
    Orcon hoping to get in early. Straight away I was electronically told I had
    one minutes to wait. Woohooo! No hour-long, ear-hurting tortutous delays
    right? Wrong! Every minute for 57 minutes I was informed I had one minute to
    wait. When I finally spoke to a person I was told that it's a common
    problem, when people (other ISPs customers) are upgraded by Telecom from
    Jetstart 128 to Bitstream the connection speed stays at 128, it often takes
    another contact with Telecom on the part of the ISP to get the speed
    corrected. My case is a little more rare, Telecom seem to take exception at
    being told that they are getting it wrong and occaisionally just dis-enable
    that account altogether.

    The folks at Orcon (who actually seem rather reasonable once you actually
    get through to them) told me they will once again immediately contact
    Telecom but I am at Telecom's mercy as to when and if I'll get my ADSL back.
    The Orcon 'agent' I spoke to has given me dialup access free-of-charge in
    the meantime and said that they will probably also give me a month ADSL free
    as partial recompense for the hours I've spent with the phone handset jammed
    up against the side of my head and for being connected at 34Kb/s instead of
    256.

    Telecom seem to be having no problems upgrading their own customers to 2MB
    unasked but appear to be deliberately dragging their collective heels when
    it comes to other ISPs customers. Surely it's about time something was done
    about this Microsoftesque attitude? In fact, MS seem like a benevolent
    society compared with Telecom.

    Grrrr......
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2004
  16. ~misfit~

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Telecom seem to be having no problems upgrading their own customers to 2MB
    > unasked but appear to be deliberately dragging their collective heels when
    > it comes to other ISPs customers. Surely it's about time something was done
    > about this Microsoftesque attitude? In fact, MS seem like a benevolent
    > society compared with Telecom.
    >
    > Grrrr......
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    While this might well be the case, I do wonder if Telecom get blamed for
    everything. In my case I signed up on 1 or 2 October for UBS with a 6th
    Telecom billing date but never got switched over. Never heard anything
    from Orcon so rang them (only waited for 3-5 x 1 minutes) The very first
    thing Orcon did was blame Telecom, but when I asked when Orcon sent the
    request to Telecom, the person at Orcon went silent and wanted to phone
    me back. They sent me an email after they failed to return my call as
    they promised, but not after blaming Telecom for not getting back to
    them (which could of course be true) "until now" - though they (orcon)
    still couldn't, or just forgot, to tell me when I was going to be
    switched over. They have not replied to any further email from me.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 8, 2004
  17. ~misfit~

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:42:01 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of
    >>> my bad luck kicking in?

    >> seen a few others with the same, they're talking to Orcon about it.

    > Well, they're lucky. I haven't been able to get through to Orcon's 0508
    > number all day. Must be overloaded. And I'm definintely on UBS, I can't
    > logon to jetstreamgames anymore. (Thanks for the test-tip Malcolm).

    Not a valid test, im on Xtra jetstart, and I can't login to jetstreamgames
    either
    -[Myth]-, Nov 8, 2004
  18. ~misfit~

    Starkey Guest

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:47:32 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Starkey wrote:
    >> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:44:20 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Got an email (four actually) from Orcon telling me that I was going
    >>> to be switched over to UBS on the 5th and giving me a new log-on to
    >>> use. I tried it late at night on the 5th and sure enough, it
    >>> connected. Yay! Up from 128/64 to 256/128!! Well, no.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't tried a test site but I have DU Meter on my connection
    >>> machine with a wee UL/DL graph that showed it topping out at
    >>> 16-17KBs down and 8Kbs up before, on jetstart. Now it's about
    >>> 17.8Kbs max down and 16KBs up. That looks like 128/128 to me. I've
    >>> tried DL'ing several files from several places singly and
    >>> concurrently and it hasn't gone above a peak of 17.8KBs down.
    >>>
    >>> I know it isn't my line or equipment as, before I went to UBS I
    >>> DL'ed some stuf from jetstreamgames and got well in excess of 2MBs.
    >>>
    >>> Guess I'll be ringing Orcon tomorrow if it hasn't changed. Also, it
    >>> may be a coincidence but I did a bit of on-line gaming before and
    >>> after and ping-times seem to have gone up about 10-20% post-UBS.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else seeing anything similar or is this just another case of
    >>> my bad luck kicking in?

    >> yeah ive noticed gaming online is rather crap now i usually play
    >> diablo 2 lod and my ping jumping alot.
    >> but my dloads are ok 32-33k max

    >Heeeey! I play D2/LOD too, US West server, ladder. Awesome game no? The only
    >game that's ever inspired me to play on-line. We'll have to get together for
    >a game sometime if you're on US West. Whisper me sometime, usually misfitnz1
    >but could be misfitnz through to misfitnz3. Or email me. misfitnz with a
    >gmail account. I've only been playing online/1.10 for a month or so but have
    >been playing SP/1.09 for ages.
    >
    >My pings used to hover around 200+ pre-UBS but have been more like 350+
    >since the change over. And don't ask me how many times I've been 'killed'
    >because one of the machines on the network decides it needs SETI/BOINC units
    >when I'm playing.

    yeah ive been playing since diablo 1 came out so im oldschool online
    gamer.
    ive sorta stopped playing since the ubs crap lag i only play Hardcore
    Starkey, Nov 9, 2004
  19. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:50:19 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Telecom seem to be having no problems upgrading their own customers to 2MB
    >unasked but appear to be deliberately dragging their collective heels when
    >it comes to other ISPs customers. Surely it's about time something was done
    >about this Microsoftesque attitude? In fact, MS seem like a benevolent
    >society compared with Telecom.

    Try ringing the Jetstream helpdesk yourself directly, 0800 253 878
    Craig Shore, Nov 9, 2004
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Starkey wrote:
    > On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:47:32 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Starkey wrote:

    >>> yeah ive noticed gaming online is rather crap now i usually play
    >>> diablo 2 lod and my ping jumping alot.
    >>> but my dloads are ok 32-33k max

    >> Heeeey! I play D2/LOD too, US West server, ladder. Awesome game no?
    >> The only game that's ever inspired me to play on-line. We'll have to
    >> get together for a game sometime if you're on US West. Whisper me
    >> sometime, usually misfitnz1 but could be misfitnz through to
    >> misfitnz3. Or email me. misfitnz with a gmail account. I've only
    >> been playing online/1.10 for a month or so but have been playing
    >> SP/1.09 for ages.
    >>
    >> My pings used to hover around 200+ pre-UBS but have been more like
    >> 350+ since the change over. And don't ask me how many times I've
    >> been 'killed' because one of the machines on the network decides it
    >> needs SETI/BOINC units when I'm playing.

    > yeah ive been playing since diablo 1 came out so im oldschool online
    > gamer.
    > ive sorta stopped playing since the ubs crap lag i only play Hardcore

    So it's not just me then! Since I've had UBS I get *soooo* much lag the game
    is nearly unplayable! Ping times have gone up 50% and I get 5+ second spikes
    which often leave me dead. While I was waiting for the UBS to be fixed I
    played on dial-up and it was better than UBS.

    I had a terrible playing session last night, if I hadn't been with a good
    party I would have died every few minutes. If this is gonna be the way UBS
    is I'm going back to something else. As you know, when you die your
    character loses experience, my characters will never go up if this
    continues. Also, the party I was with were all experiencing unaccountable
    lag spikes and they are in the US and normally have ping times in the 50's.
    Was my connection lagging the whole game? I'm not going to have friends to
    play with soon if that's the case.

    Fu#k!
    --
    ~misfit~