Finally live preview on DSLRs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Jun 16, 2005

  2. Alfred Molon

    Paul Furman Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview.htm
    >
    > The only thing which is missing now is a live histogram in record mode.
    > I also wonder if this LCD screen is swiveling.

    But that's not showing the exposure, WB,contrast, focus, etc that the
    camera uses.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1
    Paul Furman, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Alfred Molon

    Celcius Guest

    Alfred,
    I guess that's great, but there's already a big problem with LCD's lack of
    data visibility in the sun. What about the vis on that piece?
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Alfred Molon

    Owamanga Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:42:14 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >Alfred Molon wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview.htm
    >>
    >> The only thing which is missing now is a live histogram in record mode.
    >> I also wonder if this LCD screen is swiveling.

    >But that's not showing the exposure, WB,contrast, focus, etc that the
    >camera uses.

    It's going to be useful for framing purposes only. AF should still be
    possible because you'll be able to see the target areas and the
    subject, but not much more than that.

    Looks like it doesn't swivel.

    Isn't there a cheap optical gizmo version of this, just a right angle
    adapter for top-down shooting?

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
    Owamanga, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Alfred Molon

    Mike Henley Guest

    Mike Henley, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Alfred Molon

    Tony Guest

    It looks as if it will be even dimmer in sunlight than a normal LCD.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jun 16, 2005
  7. "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview.htm
    >
    > The only thing which is missing now is a live histogram in record mode.
    > I also wonder if this LCD screen is swiveling.

    I don't think it can swivel. Could be a nice adjunct for some shots.
    Charles Schuler, Jun 16, 2005
  8. Alfred Molon

    Eric Gill Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote in news:bJydnTcwK95kJCzfRVn-
    :

    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview.htm
    >>
    >> The only thing which is missing now is a live histogram in record mode.
    >> I also wonder if this LCD screen is swiveling.

    > But that's not showing the exposure, WB,contrast, focus, etc that the
    > camera uses.

    Actually, we don't know that from the product/press release shots everyone
    is using, and won't know until a review becomes available.

    Since it is essentially making a picture of the focusing screen and re-
    displaying that, I don't know why not.

    Further, we don't know yet that it doesn't swivel, though it doesn't really
    look like it can.
    Eric Gill, Jun 16, 2005
  9. Alfred Molon

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in news:%Glse.7350$1u3.1065307
    @twister.southeast.rr.com:

    > It looks as if it will be even dimmer in sunlight than a normal LCD.

    Indeed?

    How can you tell?
    Eric Gill, Jun 16, 2005
  10. Alfred Molon

    Stacey Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview.htm
    >
    > The only thing which is missing now is a live histogram in record mode.
    > I also wonder if this LCD screen is swiveling.

    Cool, so now I can -not- be able to see the focus plane just like a P&S!
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Jun 17, 2005
  11. Alfred Molon

    Skip M Guest

    "Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Isn't there a cheap optical gizmo version of this, just a right angle
    > adapter for top-down shooting?
    >
    > --
    > Owamanga!
    > http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Yes, but those things are more like the eyepiece of a microscope, you still
    have to press your eye against it. This gives you a chance to straighten up
    and look down at the framing, like a waistlevel finder would, but without
    the focusing ability. And they're not all that cheap, the Canon Angle
    Finder C runs about $180 at B&H.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jun 17, 2005
  12. Alfred Molon

    Skip M Guest

    > http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview.htm
    >
    > The only thing which is missing now is a live histogram in record mode.
    > I also wonder if this LCD screen is swiveling.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    No more live than the viewfinder image that you'd have without it. It just
    improves the angle of view, that's all...

    Skip M, Jun 17, 2005
  13. Alfred Molon

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Eric Gill <> wrote:

    > Paul Furman <> wrote in news:bJydnTcwK95kJCzfRVn-
    > :
    >
    > > Alfred Molon wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/zigview.htm
    > >>
    > >> The only thing which is missing now is a live histogram in record mode.
    > >> I also wonder if this LCD screen is swiveling.

    > > But that's not showing the exposure, WB,contrast, focus, etc that the
    > > camera uses.

    > Since it is essentially making a picture of the focusing screen and re-
    > displaying that, I don't know why not.

    Because that info isn't displayed in the focusing screen. But no biggie;
    most DSLRs have a display on the top that shows all this info.

    Regardless: This little add-on looks fragile, awkward, and generally
    useless to me. I'm also kind of tired of the viral marketing they're
    doing here on the newsgroups.
    Paul Mitchum, Jun 17, 2005
  14. Alfred Molon

    Eric Gill Guest

    0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote in

    > Eric Gill <> wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Furman <> wrote in news:bJydnTcwK95kJCzfRVn-
    >> :

    >> > But that's not showing the exposure, WB,contrast, focus, etc that
    >> > the camera uses.

    >> Since it is essentially making a picture of the focusing screen and
    >> re- displaying that, I don't know why not.

    > Because that info isn't displayed in the focusing screen.

    *Ahem.*

    "Actually, we don't know that from the product/press release shots everyone
    is using, and won't know until a review becomes available."

    Really.
    Eric Gill, Jun 18, 2005