    long-winded.

    TIA
    Roger

    Roger Duke, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Roger Duke

    docmill Guest

    "Roger Duke" <> wrote in
    news:bma75n$k4ltu$-berlin.de:

    > I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
    > selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
    > the files when I load the disc into the PC.
    >
    > I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
    > to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
    > the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
    > the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
    >
    > Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
    > long-winded.
    >
    > TIA
    > Roger

    You don't have to finalize it, if it's being read on another CDR
    From the Help files

    If you have successfully recorded a CD but have problems reading it, here are
    some suggestions:

    · The CD can be read on the CD-Recorder but not on a standard CD-ROM
    drive.

    Check CD Information under the CD menu to make sure that the session
    containing the data you just wrote is finalized. CD-ROM drives cannot read
    data from a session that is not finalized.

    --
    +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

    docmill, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Roger Duke

    Roger Duke Guest

    "docmill" <docmill@nyet_excited.com;up> wrote in message
    > "Roger Duke" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
    > > selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
    > > the files when I load the disc into the PC.
    > >
    > > I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
    > > to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
    > > the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
    > > the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
    > >
    > > Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
    > > long-winded.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Roger
    > >

    > You don't have to finalize it, if it's being read on another CDR
    > From the Help files
    >
    > If you have successfully recorded a CD but have problems reading it, here

    are
    > some suggestions:
    >
    > · The CD can be read on the CD-Recorder but not on a standard CD-ROM
    > drive.
    >
    > Check CD Information under the CD menu to make sure that the session
    > containing the data you just wrote is finalized. CD-ROM drives cannot read
    > data from a session that is not finalized.
    >

    > --
    > +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    > Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

    OK thanks. The problem is I don't know if the recipient has a CD-R or CD-ROM
    so it sounds like I need to play safe and finalize. However I can't see how
    to - except by adding an unnecessary file or burning another CD. I'm sure
    I'm missing the obvious.

    Roger

    Roger Duke, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Roger Duke

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Roger Duke said:

    > "docmill" <docmill@nyet_excited.com;up> wrote in message
    >> "Roger Duke" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
    >>> selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
    >>> the files when I load the disc into the PC.
    >>>
    >>> I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
    >>> to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
    >>> the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
    >>> the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
    >>>
    >>> Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
    >>> long-winded.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Roger
    >>>

    >> You don't have to finalize it, if it's being read on another CDR
    >> From the Help files
    >>
    >> If you have successfully recorded a CD but have problems reading it, here are
    >> some suggestions:
    >>
    >> · The CD can be read on the CD-Recorder but not on a standard CD-ROM
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> Check CD Information under the CD menu to make sure that the session
    >> containing the data you just wrote is finalized. CD-ROM drives cannot read
    >> data from a session that is not finalized.
    >>

    >> --
    >> +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    >> Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

    > OK thanks. The problem is I don't know if the recipient has a CD-R or CD-ROM
    > so it sounds like I need to play safe and finalize. However I can't see how
    > to - except by adding an unnecessary file or burning another CD. I'm sure
    > I'm missing the obvious.
    >
    > Roger

    Create an empty txt file and burn that to the disc.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 12, 2003
  5. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:27:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by Roger Duke in message

    > I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
    > selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
    > the files when I load the disc into the PC.
    >
    > I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
    > to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
    > the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
    > the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
    >
    > Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
    > long-winded.
    >
    > TIA
    > Roger

    If you just add another file and then finalize the CD, you'll have a multi-
    session CD, with the first session hidden unless you link the sessions. The
    best thing to do, IMO, is when you're through burning, finalize the CD. That
    way, it should be able to be read by just about any CD Rom drive in use
    today. It's not like CD-Rs are expensive. :)

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 2215

    The Old Sourdough, Oct 12, 2003
  6. Roger Duke

    Roger Duke Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:27:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    > boggled at the following statement by Roger Duke in message
    >
    > > I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
    > > selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
    > > the files when I load the disc into the PC.
    > >
    > > I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first need
    > > to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I load
    > > the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize because
    > > the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
    > >
    > > Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
    > > long-winded.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Roger
    > >

    > If you just add another file and then finalize the CD, you'll have a

    multi-
    > session CD, with the first session hidden unless you link the sessions.

    The
    > best thing to do, IMO, is when you're through burning, finalize the CD.

    That
    > way, it should be able to be read by just about any CD Rom drive in use
    > today. It's not like CD-Rs are expensive. :)
    >
    > --
    > The Old Sourdough
    > No of SETI units returned: 2215
    > Processing time: 4 years, 131 days, 5 hours.
    > (Total hours: 38189)
    > www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

    Thanks everyone. It's true that CD-Rs are cheap but I was trying to learn
    something from the experience and get it right. It seems the lesson is if
    you intend to give the CD to another user (or use it on a different PC with
    a ROM drive yourself) then you should burn and finalize in one hit.

    Roger
    --
    Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein

    Roger Duke, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Roger Duke

    Jarhead Guest

    "Roger Duke" <> wrote in message

    | "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    | > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:27:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    | > boggled at the following statement by Roger Duke in message
    | >
    | > > I've burned a heap of jpegs onto a CD-R using Easy CD Creator 5
    | > > selecting "Finalize Session - Don't Finalize CD". I can now read all
    | > > the files when I load the disc into the PC.
    | > >
    | > > I want to send the disc to someone else. Some advice says I first
    need
    | > > to finalize it while others say it's not necessary. However when I
    load
    | > > the disc and open Easy CD Creator 5 I can't see how to finalize
    because
    | > > the "Finalize CD" option on the File menu is greyed out.
    | > >
    | > > Do I have to add a dummy file and select "Finalize CD" ? Seems a bit
    | > > long-winded.
    | > >
    | > > TIA
    | > > Roger
    | > >

    | > If you just add another file and then finalize the CD, you'll have a
    | multi-
    | > session CD, with the first session hidden unless you link the sessions.
    | The
    | > best thing to do, IMO, is when you're through burning, finalize the CD.
    | That
    | > way, it should be able to be read by just about any CD Rom drive in use
    | > today. It's not like CD-Rs are expensive. :)
    | >
    | > --
    | > The Old Sourdough
    | > No of SETI units returned: 2215
    | > Processing time: 4 years, 131 days, 5 hours.
    | > (Total hours: 38189)
    | > www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu
    |
    | Thanks everyone. It's true that CD-Rs are cheap but I was trying to learn
    | something from the experience and get it right. It seems the lesson is if
    | you intend to give the CD to another user (or use it on a different PC
    with
    | a ROM drive yourself) then you should burn and finalize in one hit.
    |
    | Roger
    | --
    | Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein

    When I eject the CDR using the prompt on the drive in use, (right click
    drive icon and choose eject), The Adaptech: CD wizard comes up and asks if I
    want to finalize or leave open for another session. It does this every time
    I open the CDR until I do finalize it for reading in other drives.

    Jarhead

    Jarhead, Oct 12, 2003
  8. Roger Duke

    Davidv Guest

    "Jarhead" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Roger Duke" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > | > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:27:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    > | > boggled at the following statement by Roger Duke in message

    > need
    > load
    > because

    > | > If you just add another file and then finalize the CD, you'll have a
    > multi-
    > | > session CD, with the first session hidden unless you link the sessions.
    > The
    > | > best thing to do, IMO, is when you're through burning, finalize the CD.
    > That
    > | > way, it should be able to be read by just about any CD Rom drive in use
    > | > today. It's not like CD-Rs are expensive. :)
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > The Old Sourdough
    > | > No of SETI units returned: 2215
    > | > Processing time: 4 years, 131 days, 5 hours.
    > | > (Total hours: 38189)
    > | > www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu
    > |
    > | Thanks everyone. It's true that CD-Rs are cheap but I was trying to learn
    > | something from the experience and get it right. It seems the lesson is if
    > | you intend to give the CD to another user (or use it on a different PC
    > with
    > | a ROM drive yourself) then you should burn and finalize in one hit.
    > |
    > | Roger
    > | --
    > | Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
    > |

    > When I eject the CDR using the prompt on the drive in use, (right click
    > drive icon and choose eject), The Adaptech: CD wizard comes up and asks if I
    > want to finalize or leave open for another session. It does this every time
    > I open the CDR until I do finalize it for reading in other drives.
    >
    > Jarhead

    >> I found a method for Finalizing CD without having to burn/create

    another session.
    1) First of all import the current sessions on the CD via the menu "CD
    - Import session".
    2) Once you have done that then simply press the "Record" button after
    selecting "Finalize CD" inthe "Record Method" section.
    3) Once this finalizing takes place the CD will be finalized. You can
    check by trying to import the session again. You will find that you
    cannot read the sessions again.

    Regards
    DavidV

    Davidv, Nov 12, 2003