Final Thoughts.. (LONG)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by David R. Norton MVP, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. As I get older, I learn more and having passed birthday number 35 for the
    second time <g> last month here's some things I've learned in the last year:

    I've learned that I'm not going to see 64 bit drivers for my Canon S900,
    Canon has pretty much said so. I'll need to buy a later model photo printer
    and I'm unwilling to do that.

    I've learned I'm probably not going to see Logitech issue a 64 bit version of
    Mouseware in the near future, that project seems far off. Neither am I going
    to see Microsoft drop their insane phobia against using the middle mouse
    button any time soon so I can't substitute MSFT drivers for my mouse. That's
    OK, MSFT drivers never worked as well as Logitech but I really NEED that
    middle button to double click and third party software isn't as neat and
    clean as Logitech's Mouseware.

    I've learned I have no tolerance for the missing features of X64 that XP
    includes so.... It's gone. Drive H is re-formatted and the boot menu now
    leaves only XP and Mandriva Linux.

    When I stumbled across the first reference to X64 on AMD's site, when I
    immediately logged on to NewEgg and ordered a 64bit motherboard and chip,
    when they arrived and I assembled my upgraded computer and downloaded the
    early version of X64, believe me, I had absolutely NO idea it was going to
    whip me and I'd have argued with anyone who would have told me Linux 64 bit
    would work for me and Windows X64 wouldn't! I'm still a bit shocked but
    that's the way it is....

    So it's back to XP, the 32 bit version while I continue to attempt to learn
    Linux and while I wait for the OS formerly known as Longhorn and see what it
    offers.

    I've been amazed at how much help this group (and the previous group) has
    been and how effectively you folks have ferreted out drivers and
    applications.

    I've been even more amazed as the patience of Mike Brannagan as he answers
    the same question for the umpteenth time!

    One last word, Andre, you do NOT have to answer every single post here!
    Really, you don't. And quit plagiarizing Mike before he loses some of that
    patience, OK? ;-)

    I won't be gone, I'll check in from time to time but since it's been months
    since I've even tried to use X64 I'm afraid I'm of almost no help here so it
    may not be often.

    You guys play nice now!

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Sorry things didn't work out for, maybe Windows Vista will give you better
    view. By the way, I don't answer every question, I might have discussions in
    most threads, but it doesn't lead to me answering every question. Lets drop
    the quoting issue, we are past that now.

    Today is not one of my good days it seems.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 23, 2005

  3. David, the only think I can say to your post is, upgrade your mouse to a
    wireless Logitech that was made recently. Then, download the 64 bit drivers
    for it from Logitech, being SetPoint.

    You know you had to upgrade your motherboard and cpu to 64 bit, so why not
    upgrade your mouse as well? Plus, the 64 bit Setpoint drivers also work for
    recent (even non-wireless) keyboards.

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jul 23, 2005
  4. David --
    Well, I hope we'll see you back eventually. I have hopes that the driver
    situation will improve as we go along, though you're probably right that some
    existing models will simply not get upgraded. I'm still running on my 32-bit
    machine for my day to day, but I expect that to change any time now.
    Basically as soon as I can free one piece of hardware up to do the conversion
    and migration. Of course, if I get that new Ferrari, that will simply move
    over to my every day machine. This 32-bit will get server on it, and my main
    Athlon 64 will get server as well.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  5. David R. Norton MVP

    Ted Guest

    I bit Longhorn has bigger horns than xp and xp 64.

    Ted, Jul 23, 2005
  6. David R. Norton MVP <> wrote:
    > As I get older, I learn more and having passed birthday number 35 for
    > the second time <g> last month here's some things I've learned in the
    > last year:
    >
    > I've learned that I'm not going to see 64 bit drivers for my Canon
    > S900, Canon has pretty much said so. I'll need to buy a later model
    > photo printer and I'm unwilling to do that.
    >
    > I've learned I'm probably not going to see Logitech issue a 64 bit
    > version of Mouseware in the near future, that project seems far off.
    > Neither am I going to see Microsoft drop their insane phobia against
    > using the middle mouse button any time soon so I can't substitute
    > MSFT drivers for my mouse. That's OK, MSFT drivers never worked as
    > well as Logitech but I really NEED that middle button to double click
    > and third party software isn't as neat and clean as Logitech's
    > Mouseware.
    >
    > I've learned I have no tolerance for the missing features of X64 that
    > XP includes so.... It's gone. Drive H is re-formatted and the boot
    > menu now leaves only XP and Mandriva Linux.
    >
    > When I stumbled across the first reference to X64 on AMD's site, when
    > I immediately logged on to NewEgg and ordered a 64bit motherboard and
    > chip, when they arrived and I assembled my upgraded computer and
    > downloaded the early version of X64, believe me, I had absolutely NO
    > idea it was going to whip me and I'd have argued with anyone who
    > would have told me Linux 64 bit would work for me and Windows X64
    > wouldn't! I'm still a bit shocked but that's the way it is....
    >
    > So it's back to XP, the 32 bit version while I continue to attempt to
    > learn Linux and while I wait for the OS formerly known as Longhorn
    > and see what it offers.
    >
    > I've been amazed at how much help this group (and the previous group)
    > has been and how effectively you folks have ferreted out drivers and
    > applications.
    >
    > I've been even more amazed as the patience of Mike Brannagan as he
    > answers the same question for the umpteenth time!
    >
    > One last word, Andre, you do NOT have to answer every single post
    > here! Really, you don't. And quit plagiarizing Mike before he loses
    > some of that patience, OK? ;-)
    >
    > I won't be gone, I'll check in from time to time but since it's been
    > months since I've even tried to use X64 I'm afraid I'm of almost no
    > help here so it may not be often.
    >
    > You guys play nice now!

    Hi David,

    I'm sad to see you leaving...anyway, another few days and you'll be able to
    test the x64 version of Vista, or better said WinVi :)
    As far as I understand, the drivers for WinVi will be ok for XP x64, so it's
    just a question of patience.

    See you around :)

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy
    (Ruiselede - Belgium)
    Christian Hougardy \(MS XP MVP\), Jul 23, 2005
  7. David R. Norton MVP

    E.B. Farnum Guest

    David:

    Life is too short to allow a computer to get the better of you.
    Put down the mouse and step away from the computer.

    I don't see much difference anyway, its just a "New Toy"

    Soon enough we can all test Asta la "Vista" and create a whole new set of
    headaches for ourselves.

    E.B. Farnum Mayor
    Deadwood
    Dakota Territory

    Vaya Con Dios
    Post On Mi Amigo

    E.B. Farnum, Jul 23, 2005
  8. "Wayne Wastier" <> wrote in:

    > David, the only think I can say to your post is, upgrade your mouse to a
    > wireless Logitech that was made recently. Then, download the 64 bit drivers
    > for it from Logitech, being SetPoint.

    I'd prefer genital herpes to a wireless anything. Aint NEVER gonna happen.

    There will be conventional meece... er... mices.. er, mouses.. er, pointing
    devices with 64 bit drivers eventually, I'll consider that when they're
    available.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  9. "Ted" <> wrote in:

    > I bit Longhorn has bigger horns than xp and xp 64.

    Longhorn is extinct, it's Windows Vista now so as to continue the trend of
    silly names for operating systems from MSFT...

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  10. David R. Norton MVP

    E.B. Farnum Guest

    Hmmmm...Why not just use a normal optical ps2 mouse?

    I've got the old standby Microsoft ps2 optical and it works jess fine.
    And the old standard type Qwerty ps2 as well.

    I don't understand the need for a wireless mouse or keyboard.
    Its not like you're wandering around the house typing or clicking on
    anything..

    Rule of Thumb #1 KISS

    Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

    Git er Done

    E.B. Farnum Mayor
    Deadwood
    Dakota Territory

    Vaya Con Dios Mi Amigo

    E.B. Farnum, Jul 23, 2005
  11. David R. Norton MVP

    John Barnes Guest

    You are not the first and certainly not going to be the last. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Jul 23, 2005
  12. "E.B. Farnum" <> wrote in:

    > Hmmmm...Why not just use a normal optical ps2 mouse?

    That's what I'm using, tell me how can I activate the middle button to double
    click w/o third party software? Logitech Mouseware does this and much more
    but will not install on X64 and the drivers provided by Microsoft continue
    their irrational fear of allowing the middle button to work.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 23, 2005
  13. Should we call David a victim of x64? Thats what happens when you are on the
    bleeding edge.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 24, 2005
  14. Logitech's x64 setpoint drivers work fine with a wired mouse and give you
    all the features of Mouseware.
    --
    Bob Benedetti

    Bob Benedetti, Jul 24, 2005
  15. David R. Norton MVP

    J. Bush Guest

    Final Thoughts? Sounds like a Funeral.
    Who Died?

    No, No W...Thats Nuclear, Not Nucular.

    Its good to Have a Brother In High Places!

    J.Bush Governor
    Hallatassee, Florida

    J. Bush, Jul 24, 2005
  16. "Bob Benedetti" <> wrote in:

    > Logitech's x64 setpoint drivers work fine with a wired mouse and give you
    > all the features of Mouseware.

    Sure don't. Won't even install.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 24, 2005
  17. David R. Norton MVP

    Ed Roth Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:14:43 -0700, "David R. Norton MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bob Benedetti" <> wrote in:
    >
    >> Logitech's x64 setpoint drivers work fine with a wired mouse and give you
    >> all the features of Mouseware.

    >Sure don't. Won't even install.

    Here I thought that I had downloaded the Logitech 64-bit version of
    Setpoint and installed it on my machine a couple of weeks ago and now
    David here points out that I was mistaken, that it never happened.

    What's worse, even though David has set me straight, I clicked on the
    Setpoint icon and the hallucination persists because the Mouse and
    Keyboards Settings Menu sits before me like a wraith. It even pretends
    to adjust my mouse settings and has insidiously changed the driver
    settings in Device Manager to some fake Logitech driver.

    I can't tell you how this worries me.
    Ed Roth, Jul 24, 2005
  18. Ed Roth <> wrote in:

    > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:14:43 -0700, "David R. Norton MVP"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Bob Benedetti" <> wrote in:
    >>
    >>> Logitech's x64 setpoint drivers work fine with a wired mouse and give you
    >>> all the features of Mouseware.

    >>Sure don't. Won't even install.

    > Here I thought that I had downloaded the Logitech 64-bit version of
    > Setpoint and installed it on my machine a couple of weeks ago and now
    > David here points out that I was mistaken, that it never happened.

    Delighted I could help.

    > What's worse, even though David has set me straight, I clicked on the
    > Setpoint icon and the hallucination persists because the Mouse and
    > Keyboards Settings Menu sits before me like a wraith. It even pretends
    > to adjust my mouse settings and has insidiously changed the driver
    > settings in Device Manager to some fake Logitech driver.
    >
    > I can't tell you how this worries me.

    It should worry you, when I tried the setpoint drivers I had NO mouse at all
    until I removed them.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>
    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 24, 2005
  19. David -- Just a thought, but if double-clicking is a big problem for you, why
    not set Windows to use single click? Personally, I don't much like the
    option, but my wife has problems with double-clicking and has found it a
    reasonable solution.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 24, 2005
  20. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in:

    > David -- Just a thought, but if double-clicking is a big problem for
    > you, why not set Windows to use single click? Personally, I don't much
    > like the option, but my wife has problems with double-clicking and has
    > found it a reasonable solution.

    I was never able to get used to it. Anyway, the problem was solved with 3rd
    party software, the most excellent Xmouse button control worked perfectly

    http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

    and reduced the features that make X64 unusable to me by one. Of course,
    that still left several dozens that were unsolvable but I think that Logitech
    not making 64 bit mouseware available yet (they say it's coming) was what
    irked me the most because the only real fix is to get a cordless mouse that
    will use the Setpoint drivers or buy their one and only corded mouse for big
    bucks that will use Setpoint. It seems to me they've ignored every mouse and
    trackball they've made in the past with their decision to create a 64 bit
    Mouseware "someday. but not very soon".

    Anyway, my decision to dump X64 is based partly on X64 being (in my opinion)
    an interim OS. I'll wait for Vista/Longhorn/Yournamehere and see what's
    supported and what isn't.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>