Final Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nntp@microsoft.com, Sep 11, 2010.

  1. Guest

    What is Happening?
    This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
    newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

    Why?
    As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
    traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
    past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
    solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
    move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
    for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
    make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
    improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
    management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
    healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
    begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
    and discontinue support for newsgroups.

    In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
    users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
    newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
    which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
    forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
    functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
    NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

    Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
    All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
    October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
    starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
    active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

    When will this Happen?
    Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.

    Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
    In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you to participate at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/group/WindowsAnswers forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

    Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

    Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
    Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to

    , Sep 11, 2010

  2. Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 11/09/2010 in message <>
    wrote:

    >This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
    >newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

    You won't be "transitioning" me, whatever that means. If MSFT don't wish
    to participate in Usenet then goodbye.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    640k ought to be enough for anyone.

    Jeff Gaines, Sep 11, 2010

  3. John Turco Guest

    Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > On 11/09/2010 in message <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
    > >newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

    > You won't be "transitioning" me, whatever that means. If MSFT don't wish
    > to participate in Usenet then goodbye.

    I am still here, El Guapo!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Sep 25, 2010
  4. Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 25/09/2010 in message <> John Turco wrote:

    >Jeff Gaines wrote:
    >>
    >>On 11/09/2010 in message <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin
    >>>discontinuing
    >>>newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

    >>You won't be "transitioning" me, whatever that means. If MSFT don't wish
    >>to participate in Usenet then goodbye.

    >I am still here, El Guapo!

    It's going to take me a while to decide just how bad an insult that could
    be :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

    Jeff Gaines, Sep 25, 2010
  5. John Turco Guest

    Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > On 25/09/2010 in message <> John Turco wrote:
    >
    > >Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > >>You won't be "transitioning" me, whatever that means. If MSFT don't wish
    > >>to participate in Usenet then goodbye.

    > >I am still here, El Guapo!

    > It's going to take me a while to decide just how bad an insult that could
    > be :)

    In case you're unaware, it's a line from "The Three Amigos" (1986)...a
    Hollywood movie comedy, starring Steve Martin.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 31, 2010