Final Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nntp@microsoft.com, Jul 1, 2010.

  1. Guest

    What is Happening?
    This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
    newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

    Why?
    As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
    traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
    past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
    solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
    move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
    for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
    make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
    improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
    management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
    healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
    begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
    and discontinue support for newsgroups.

    In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
    users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
    newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
    which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
    forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
    functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
    NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

    Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
    All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
    October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
    starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
    active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

    Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
    Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.

    In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you to participate at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/group/WindowsAnswers forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

    Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

    Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
    Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
    , Jul 1, 2010

  2. Keith Combs Guest

    There are several forums that support IT Pros and your 64bit questions are
    at <a
    href="http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro">http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro</a>.
    That is the top level category and there are forums on installation,
    hardware compatibility, application compatibility, security, virtualization,
    performance, etc.

    I believe you’ll find the community is quite active there. The forums have
    a number of benefits so I hope you’ll give them a chance.

    Best regards,

    Keith Combs
    Microsoft Senior Program Manager – TechNet
    (425) 705-9217 office
    http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs

    Keith Combs, Jul 2, 2010

  3. As the guy who started all this (literally), I appreciate your jumping in
    with that suggestion, but as RC says, it really isn't all that viable. This
    group is not about installation. Or compatibility, either application or
    hardware, nor about security, and not even virtualization. Though all those
    topics have been covered here, and been on topic when they were. What we try
    to focus on is providing that bridge to users to get from 32-bit to 64-bit
    by addressing what makes 64-bit different. And the community here is
    _special_, Keith, in a way that none of the current forums are.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 3, 2010
  4. Keith Combs Guest

    Thanks Charlie.

    This particular newsgroup case has been discussed quite a lot. I personally
    took it up with the Windows Client forum owners who I am sure you already
    know. Tony Mann and Stephen Rose did consider the request carefully but
    ultimately we decided to consolidate this into an already vibrant set of
    Windows 7 forums.

    The Windows Client team has invested heavily in the forums for Windows 7.
    CSS has played a big role in the success of those forums, along with MVPs
    like yourself.

    Stephen, Tony and I will be watching and listening. Lets see how things go
    for a little while and adjust later of needed. I don't think any of us are
    so close minded that we wouldn't make needed improvements if they were
    warranted.

    In the meantime, lets enjoy a nice holiday weekend with some hotdogs, BBQ,
    fireworks and maybe a cold frosty mug.

    Very best regards,

    Keith Combs, Jul 3, 2010
  5. There is another part of the problem - we do a bit more than just Windows
    Client. Personally, I'm a Server MVP, though I'm obviously passionate about
    Client issues too. >5 years ago, when XP Professional x64 Edition and
    Windows Server 2003 SP1 were in beta, I fought to create this group. I said
    then that it was needed and necessary, even though it violated the normal MS
    practice of not creating a bitness newsgroup. I made a promise to folks then
    that we would take care of ourselves and that we'd not require MS
    participation to be a success. And, without meaning any offense at all to
    Darrell and others from MS who did drop by, I think I kept that promise. And
    this NG has been an unqualified success.

    I'll make the same promise to you, Keith, that I made then. Give us our
    64bit forum, and I will be there. I will do whatever it takes to make it a
    success, and I won't require any resources or help from MS at all. No one
    from MS need moderate, no one need mark answers or clean up. We'll take care
    of our own.

    Now, go enjoy your holiday weekend. It isn't one here -- I've got a chapter
    due Tuesday and will be working most of the weekend, though I hope to take
    time off long enough today to watch Argentina beat Germany. And maybe even
    see if 38 year old legs can still do some magic on a bicycle in the Tour.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 3, 2010
  6. Bill Sharpe Guest

    +1

    --